Pavilion Digest: March 2006

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:09 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Source: unca20060606.htm

COLLEEN:

Thanks for thinking of me. I can ALWAYS use a spare copy of these smaller auctorial appearances. Let me know what I owe you; and you can send it to the HERC PO box 55548, Sherman Oaks, CA 91413. Thanks once again.

Yr. pal, Harlan

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:28 pm

Name: Douglas Harrison
Susan:

Received Issue #39 yesterday. Thank you.

D.

--------------------

Fiction about giants: Fee-Fi

Todd Cassel

Postby Todd Cassel » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:06 pm

Name: Todd Cassel
A link that may make Harlan smile:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5397

Pinky and the Brain; finally coming to DVD.

-TODD

Site Admin

Rick

Postby Moderator » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:07 pm

Name: Steve Barber
Check your email and/or call me.

(And apologies for the second post)

Steve B

paul

In which cheekiness meets pecksniffness and only one of thos

Postby paul » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:01 pm

Name: Paul
Jeff- No disrespect to your interests, good sir, but i know not of these "bullocks" of which you speak. However i did have good fortune to say hello to Tommy Lee Jones at a furniture store a year and a half ago. He was polite, well groomed, he wore a beautiful 50's western shirt with what i assume to be true mother-of-pearl buttons and told a semi-naughty joke which made no one blush.

Alan- I grid my loins for no man. But i have been known to play pig-in-a-blanket with several nice shepherdesses.

Sci-Fi- i consider myself fortunate that, whereas Harlan and others have had to endure mis-shelving and dismissal of their dear work under that grotesque appellation (which is asinine chutzpah to begin with), when i mention going to the Nebulas, i only receive those 'sci-fi geek' and 'trekkie' jokes (which have no more to do with this banquet than a snail does with squat thrusts) these idiots toss with no realization of the point, the craft or the service these writers have labored over for christ doesn't know how many combined years. Yeah, it pisses me off some. I write a lot of speculative fiction and to be lumped into "Horror" or Sci-Fi" or "Humor" without consideration or regard (as though they were capable of it) should be a crime and violators should be chained for vivisection and put under a microscope to find out how we can prevent this from happening any more. For the advancement of peace, of course. Tell King he's a "Gore" writer. Critical Analysis my rump roast. They so damn-all-smart-- i don't see them pulling a check from the Library of Congress. "Sci-Fi" as a word has it's place, fine, but it shouldn't be the catch-all phrase it's become.
Personally, i blame the republicans.
I heart P. & the B.

Disclaimer:
Brian- though i posted after, yours are surly the last words on this subject. you are of course, entirely correct.
I am not so damn-all-smart-myself, but i have been IN the Lib. of Con.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:57 pm

Name: Frank Church
Phoenix is really in my shit column now. Their Air America station, which was doing real well, just upped and closed down, being taken over by a religious right station. That was a great station, now that place will be littered with more religious crap.

I hate that town.

Bud Webster

In reply...

Postby Bud Webster » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:15 pm

Name: Bud Webster
R. TREEHORN: I was "obliquely' referring to the fact that a number of people, myself included, have had less than pleasant experiences with Ackerman. That Harlan is one of them is beside the point. He has a rep as such a sweet old guy, and just as Harlan's rep as a volitile "enfant terrible" is largely unearned, so is Acerman's.

ERIC MARTIN: Suck an egg.

Tom

Postby Tom » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:28 pm

Name: Tom Morgan
Susan,
Is it too late to put my name on one of the copies of "Web of the City"? If not I definitely want one. And a small point, does the tax apply to the S&H? I realize that in this case the difference is a whopping $0.25 but I'm thinking getting the correct amount may help your bookkeeping system move a small step easier.
Harlan,
I didn't jump on the Glass Teat offering because I already have a very good signed copy of the 75 Pyramid paperback. A couple questions:
1) The 75 book has a great cover credited to Leo and Diane Dillon. The 83 Ace book looks to have a different cover. Did you decide on a new cover, or is this something a new publisher can do without your approval?
2) The 75 book has a new (in 75), "supplementary" introduction that is, as usual for your introductions, incredible reading by itself. Was there a "new" introduction to the 83 Ace book?
3) Any update on the combined Glass Teat volume that was going to be next in the Edgeworks series but is now (hopefully) going to be in some other form? Please understand that this question is intended as a respectful request from a fan, and not a beligerent demand from someone shouting "You mentioned it once, therefore you owe me!!" as in all of the TLDV hoopla.
Thanks, Tom

Elijah Newton

Jill Carrol released in Iraq

Postby Elijah Newton » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:26 am

Name: Elijah Newton
I work for the Ann Arbor school district, with people who remember Jill as a student, so this is pretty big news. Admittedly, in this setting it's a bit of a non-sequitor but I thought some might have been following the story.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4860824.stm

's all.

H. Youngman

Non-sequitors

Postby H. Youngman » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:56 am

Name: H. Youngman
ELIJAH: ANYtime someone is spared the sword, it's good (and important) news. Caught the news about Ms. Carrol already, but it's worth re-trumpeting. Huzzah! -H Youngman (champion of nonsequitors)

Kloes

Forry and Harlan (and Robert Bloch)

Postby Kloes » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:20 am

Name: Lars
In Forrest Ackerman's _World of Science Fiction_ (pub. 1997) he begins his entry on Harlan with, "Ellison insists he writes speculative fiction, which he refers to as 'spec-fic.' He curses the term 'sci-fi,' which I coined over four decades ago, with coruscating hate. He wishes me dead and the sooner the better; he has said so in a letter. Nonetheless..." Ackerman then follows with a positive summary of Harlan's career and accomplishments.

When I first read that in 1998, I posted to alt.fan.harlan-ellison (remember that place?) asking if anyone knew anything more about what provoked the letter. Someone else piped in that they had heard HE saying on a radio show, "Forrest Ackerman is a bad bad man."

There were no authoritative replies, but some speculation that the rancor had to do with Ackerman disclosing the news of Robert Bloch's terminal cancer to fandom when Bloch wanted to disclose it himself in his famous Omni article about dying. Someone else mentioned that they thought Harlan was upset because Ackerman had pestered Bloch to send him his "last autograph".

So... seeing as how no authoritative answer was given back then, this seems like a good time to reopen the question.

To Steve Barber: Sorry if all this seems to piss on your post praising Forry. There's no question he is widely beloved, and personally, I have nothing but affection and admiration for Ackerman, which is why I was so surprised to read that in his book. But, since Forry himself brought it up, I thought it might be worthy of discussion.

And by the way, you want to read something amazing? Robert Bloch's article (which I actually went to the Library of Congress to read ten years ago) is now available here:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... i_15831828

Bob Bloch... what a guy.

Site Admin

Jill Carroll, some commentary, and wishful thinking

Postby Moderator » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:21 am

Name: Steve Barber
Elijah - I caught this and couldn't be happier. Thanks for pointing this out -- her friends and family must be breathing again. It should be fascinating to read her account.

This got very little publicity when it first appeared last week:
--
Former top judge says US risks edging near to dictatorship

Sandra Day O'Connor warns of rightwing attacks
Lawyers 'must speak up' to protect judiciary

Sandra Day O'Connor, a Republican-appointed judge who retired last month after 24 years on the supreme court, has said the US is in danger of edging towards dictatorship if the party's rightwingers continue to attack the judiciary.
In a strongly worded speech at Georgetown University, reported by National Public Radio and the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, Ms O'Connor took aim at Republican leaders whose repeated denunciations of the courts for alleged liberal bias could, she said, be contributing to a climate of violence against judges.

Ms O'Connor, nominated by Ronald Reagan as the first woman supreme court justice, declared: "We must be ever-vigilant against those who would strong-arm the judiciary."
--
http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,1729396,00.html

Five books I wish they would make into films, just because it's Thursday and I have a few extra moments (and assiduously avoiding the works of anyone who comes to this board):

"Life of Pi" - Yann Martel (Intriguing premise, semi-fantasy)
"Childhood's End" - Arthur C Clarke (because it could be made now, and should be)
"Kindred" - Octavia Butler (easy to shoot, important commentary)
"Vox" - Nicholson Baker (because it presents several challenges and voyeurism is very popular)
"Shuttle Down" - Lee Corey (because it'd be a lot of fun)

Susan Ellison

Postby Susan Ellison » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:29 am

Name: SUSAN ELLISON
Tom: I've reserved a copy of WEB for you. Tax is only on the item (not item plus shipping).

Thank you.

Susan

Joe L.

What I loathe about Phoenix

Postby Joe L. » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:53 am

Name: Joe L.
Lots of right-wing pseudo-cowboys wearing turquoise bolo ties and leather boots walking around like they've got corncobs rammed up their asses...Sky Harbor International Airport,about the dumbest f*#king name for an airport imaginable(harbors are for ships!)...some of worse drivers this side of Hell.

Ray Carlson

Child of the '50s

Postby Ray Carlson » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:37 am

Name: Ray Carlson
Sky King International Airport...now THAT would be cool.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”