Pavilion Digest: March 2006

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

M F Korn

Rabbit Hole Newsletter

Postby M F Korn » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:02 pm

Name: M F Korn
Source: unca20060606.htm
I received mine day before yesterday. Thank you Mrs. Ellison!
Does anybody know how much it costs to renew?

Thank you

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:36 pm

Name: Frank Church
Now, this is grade-A music, beautiful and really stunning. Tropicoso master Caetano Veloso and his only english language album of standards and soon to be standards.

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/ ... 2329&ITM=3

Some weak cuts, but pretty impressive. South America seems to be beating the world with great artists.

David Loftus

Story Time for Grownups

Postby David Loftus » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:23 pm

Name: David Loftus
This is completely off-topic, I know, but I just wanted you guys to know that Story Time for Grownups will feature short stories and other writings of Harlan Ellison, read by your truly at Grendels Coffee House, 729 E. Burnside, 503-595-9550, at 7:30 p.m. on Monday, April 3, 2006. Admission is free.

[On the following Monday -- April 10 -- I'll be reading my own poems and other writings at the downtown Portland Borders Books.]

Faisal A. Qureshi

Stanislaw Lem

Postby Faisal A. Qureshi » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:23 pm

Name: Faisal A. Qureshi
Eric,

In UK bookstores, Stanislaw Lem's work is usually found in the fiction section. It's up to publishers in each territory to determine what label to give an author's work to try and get the best possible sales.

FAQ

Bud Webster

SCI-FI origins

Postby Bud Webster » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:49 am

Name: Bud Webster
Steve:

Truth be told, Ackerman did NOT coin "sci-fi," although he did popularize it beyond all understanding. Robert Heinlein coined it some 6-7 years before Ackerman ever used it, by Ackerman's own admission. Personally, I despise the nasty little neologism; it was only funny for about a week to begin with, and has since lost all of whatever charm it may once have had. If any. It's the word we're attacked with, the word THEY use to imply that we're beneath them, the word they use when they're judging our Best by referring to our Worst. It's a bully's word, or, at its most innocent, an ignorant attempt to curry favor.

And not all of us have had such pleasant dealings with Ackerman as you have.

James Argendeli

Renew rates

Postby James Argendeli » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:02 am

Name: James Argendeli
To M F Korn

The renew rate is $15

Eric Martin
Banned

Postby Eric Martin » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:34 am

Name: Eric Martin
>It's the word we're attacked with, the word THEY use to imply that we're beneath them, the word they use when they're judging our Best by referring to our Worst. It's a bully's word, or, at its most innocent, an ignorant attempt to curry favor.<

And off the deep end we go. Listen to yourself, man...this is really out-of-touch with reality, which is that "sci-fi" is shorthand.

That's all...no blue meanie code word to abuse the poor intellectual reader of rocket books. Here's a newsflash? "THEY" aren't judging you. THEY are, and always have been, ignoring you.

R. Treehorn

Postby R. Treehorn » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:40 am

Name: R. Treehorn
I believe Bud Webster is obliquely referring to the fact that Harlan and Forry are not exactly drinking chums because of some contretemps that's probably misreported on the internet somewhere. I think it involved Forry calling Harlan 'Mister Poopypants' and Harlan responding with a Wildean 'I'm rubber and you're glue' at MystiCon 1979.

Earl Wells

SCI-FI

Postby Earl Wells » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:27 am

Name: Earl Wells
As I mentioned on the other board, this talk of Heinlein coining the term refers, as far as I know, to Heinlein's use of it in a letter Heinlein wrote to his agent that wasn't published until after Heinlein's death. I know of nothing that demonstrates that Heinlein was the first to publicly use it. Again, AFAIK, Ackerman arrived at it independently and used and promoted it publicly. If anyone has any evidence to the contrary, I'd love to hear about it.

Tony Isabella

Ellison Arrivals

Postby Tony Isabella » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:55 am

Name: Tony Isabella
Harlan and Susan...

I received Rabbit Hole #39 Tuesday and, in a separate envelope, the dollar from the bet. Both made me smile.

Much love,

Tony

Site Admin

The Dreaded Term and an eBay Encouragement

Postby Moderator » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:28 am

Name: Steve Barber
First, Eric: The term was used for many decades as a derogatory. You may whistle against the wind as much as you like, but there it is. Wishing it away won't work. You may be much younger than I give you credit for most-times, but if you grew up in the 60s, 70s and into the 80s not only was the term used (verbally), but it was used as an insult. Bud's assessment of the time-honored intent and usage is spot on. Understand the past before you preach to the present.

Second, Bud: Not everyone has a positive relationship with everyone else. I'm not responsible for everyone's relationship with Forry, but in my handful of times in his presence he's been courteous and pleasant.

I can say that about a lot of people who've gotten bad publicity over the years...

Rudiger: You may be referencing the famous "Two Crickets Screwing" event at UCLA. I understand that Harlan and many, many others (myself included) felt the phrase to be derisive and insulting. I simply meant that it has lost much of the sting since the general public no longer uses the term in that way. I will still never use it to describe the field, and I will continue to flinch every time I refer to a certain cable channel. But I understand that nowadays the everyday usage is mrely descriptive and (usually) intends no harm.

Earl: Forry still claims the origin. Not sure what memo Heinlein may have written, but I'll still place the creation (blame) at Ackerman's feet.

Third, Harlan and Susan: I wish, wish, wish I had a few grand to toss towards eBay and would remind and encourage anyone who does to use it immediately. I believe the auction ends shortly -- and as the Eurythmics once sang "Sweet dreams are made of this. Who am I to disagree." (Okay, fanboy pimping over and done with, but SOMEone here in the Pavilion ought to be the winner. God knows what'll happen if a perfect stranger heads into the wilds of the SF Valley with Harlan, avec Susan there to referee...)

BrianSiano

Postby BrianSiano » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:30 am

Name: Brian Siano
People, people... who the hell _cares_ who created the term "sci-fi?" The phrase _sounds_ sneering, chirpy, and glib. It's unpleasant. It grates on the ears no matter _what_ it means.

If Forry wants the credit, then fine, he can have it. I can't imagine a crummier level of bottom-feeding. It's like saying "I invented the Batusi!" or "I was the _first_ person to do jokes about Donald Trump's haircut!" Who the fuck _cares_?

Kristin Ruhl

Help with travel plans....

Postby Kristin Ruhl » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:48 am

Name: Kristin Ruhl
I think the minicon hotel is sold out - I am such an IDIOT (bashes head into wall) I didn't realize the con page had a DIRECT link to the hotel booking page until it was too late (group rate only avail until 3/15) It is over $100 less than the rack rate - I need to put word out: anybody willing to share a Minicon room? I tis same rate for up to 4 people in a room...the hotel is supposed to be big enough for the con, so I don't think there aer any special rates at nearby hotels (when i went there before they had con rates at the sofitel and another hotel further away, but that was when it was a LOT bigger con. .) Rack rates are almost $200 a night! Email me and I'll give you my verizon cell number since mobile LD is ofen free and text messaging is cheap) Well i was *on* the con booking page, it looked grayed out and then my browser crashed...

Since I hate to waste my one a day posting on this and i'nm sure you dont want to listen to me mope because YES Iit's my own fault...OB Sci-Fi: I think people hate the term because it is associated with people (especially in Hollywood) who know NOTHING about the genre. I always figured that SF was literature, sci-fi was movies. On the other hand, crappy books get published and once in a (great) while you do get a really good movie that is made with respect. I think sf literature is getting degraded by the fact that the serious stuff (at least in the US - British sf is thriving) about science, space, etc is not getting published so much, and many name authors are turning to media and gaming tie ins to pay the bills. Sad.

Colleen

Postby Colleen » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:03 am

Name: Colleen
Harlan:
I've been weeding the juvenile collection at my library and am getting rid of one copy of "Bruce Coville's UFOs", an anthology which includes your story "A Lot of Saucers"-do you need the book for your archives? Let me know.
Cheers, Colleen

Jeff R.

TO PAUL FROM AUSTIN, TEXAS

Postby Jeff R. » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:25 am

Name: Jeff R.
You forgot United States Marine Corps fiction: Semper-Fi.

(Sorry. It's been a long day.)

By the way, Paul, ever run into Sandra Bullock down there?

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”