Pavilion Digest: March 2006

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Greg Hurd

RH #39

Postby Greg Hurd » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:43 am

Name: Greg Hurd
Source: unca20060606.htm
Susan-Please hold a copy (1) of "Web of the City" for me as mentioned in Rabbit Hole (arrived today). $$$ will be in your hands in the blink of a postmaster's eye. Thank-you!!!

Site Admin

Department on Unintentional Humor

Postby Moderator » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:00 am

Name: Steve Barber
(from a news.bbc.co.uk story regarding the war in Iraq):

"RELATED INTERNET LINKS:

> www.whitehouse.gov

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites "

(Fox News, on the other hand...)

Neal Johnson

FRANK

Postby Neal Johnson » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:43 pm

Name: Neal Johnson
you are a whiff of fresh napalm

Neal

Tom J

Postby Tom J » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:10 pm

Name: Tom J
Hi, I was wondering if anyone here could help me out with a question. How much does the average publisher spend to get a hard cover title on the shleves? Like if Harlan Ellison had a new book ready to go right now, how much would it cost (when you total up the author's earnings, money spnt on advertising, the cost of paper, and printing. et cetera) to get it out? Now twats like James Patterson are huge sellers (only Satan knows why), so would his (undeserved) celebrity drive those costs up substantially?

Thank you in advance for your help.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:51 pm

Name: Frank Church
Maher, good name; you may be shocked, but Prince was merely messing around on SNL. The guy usually reaches the starting end of the stratosphere with his guitar playing, not even counting his piano playing, which is legendary as well.

Too bad his new album is so lame. This need to get on the charts is rather sad--sure, he will have his first number one in ages, but at what price?

----------

Todd, you can show us that picture of that dinner any time.

andre medrano

Dragon Con 2--6

Postby andre medrano » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:24 pm

Name: andre medrano
Any chance that Harlan will be at Dragoncon 20006?
It's the only opportunity I have to see him speak.

Thanks!

Chuck Messer

Longevity

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:29 pm

Name: Chuck Messer
If Harlan's going to be around in 20006 I wanna know what he knows. What is it? Vitamins?

Chuck

Mark S.

Publishing

Postby Mark S. » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:17 pm

Name: Mark S.
When I was in the book trade (I managed a Science Fiction/Comic Book store on Hollywood Blvd, and was the SF and Mystery buyer at a high end collectible bookstore in Hollywood in the 1980s)the word I had was that the basic cost of producing a book for a first time writer was around $100,000.00 That was for authors' advance, production, cover art, the whole shmeer. Considering how many books end up remaindered you can see one reason why the cover price of hardcover, trade, and paperbacks are so high.

Of course the biggest problem is making the books available where potential readers can find them. Independent bookstores are closing as a result of internet sales and what remains of the large bookstore chains, usually favor the major publishers making it even tougher for the small publishing houses to find a place on bookshelves.

I still patronize my local bookstores, because I have developed relationships with the salespeople and they know what I am interested and give me personal service. But I also use the net to find those odd items which don't come across the countertops anymore because a seller can find a bigger market on the web.

What do the rest of you find in your own book buying experiences?

James Patterson

Postby James Patterson » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:02 pm

Name: James Patterson
--Now twats like James Patterson are huge sellers (only Satan knows why), so would his (undeserved) celebrity drive those costs up substantially?--

Hey, Tom J: lick me, I'm a lolly.

StacyD

Postby StacyD » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:51 pm

Name: Stacy Dooks
Way to go Robert! You rock. Congratulations on your publishing coup; always glad when somebody makes it over the fen seafood, but Chino-Bandito sounds wild.
Lem Stanislaw. 84. You go, dammit.
Buck Owens on Sat and i haven't seen much for Maureen Stapelton, either.
In the greener pasture, May Foster, Gloria Swanson and Sarah Vaughn were born on this date and we are the better for them all.
I'm pretty sure i was the only heterosexual male in 8th grade that would cop to liking Prince back in the early 80's, but talent is talent, no matter what becomes of Vanity.
Here in Austin we just said goodbye to 75% Books (not a subsidiary or affiliated ((that i know of)) with Half Price Books). This little rinky joint culled books of every stripe from around the globe, and were sold, yes at 75% off of cover and under that down to one dollar on many occasions. From publishers overstock to the dead uncles' cardboard box, given away, they have closed due to high demand they cannot meet and the Net and B&N and Wal-mart can.
Mark, you said, "I still patronize my local bookstores, because I have developed relationships with the salespeople and they know what I am interested and give me personal service. But I also use the net to find those odd items which don't come across the countertops anymore because a seller can find a bigger market on the web." You are, of course, correct. i know this and do so myself. i don't blast a bookselling business. I blast unethical bookselling practices, but i shall refrain as 'ethical business' is a topic well worn 'round these here parts. i just wanted to note the passing of a store which, not the smallest, no mom and pop tragedy, not the biggest and best overshadowing the nooks, was just a damn nice place where i could find little treasures old and new. They knew me and i knew them. That red mohawked kid behind the Borders counter? He asks me once more how to spell "Vonnegut" and i'll pierce the other side of his face for free.
Disclaimer: The manufacturers of this product have earrings and colored their hair and are not suggesting grievous bodily harm to those who have likewise, regardless of age. Just the stupid ones.

Shelly

Postby Shelly » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:09 pm

Name: Shelly
Dear Mark S.,
My experience trying to find Harlan's books might be of interest to you. I recently went to my local Borders and asked the sales clerk to help me find Harlan's shelf. The clerk's computer search found...nothing. I said, "Well, they're sold out, of course." He looked at me like I was from another planet. "Yeah, ok, if you want," was the reply.

Now Mark, I'm on the eastern seaboard near a large city. Am I nuts that this really shocked me? Is this usual? I admit I am very new to Harlan's writing, but even so, it is obvious he's a major player. I mean, Borders was very good, I gave them some titles and they shipped them to my house... but still, the whole thing bothered me.

And I'm not sure who said it, but for whoever(whomever?) suggested putting the cute chick on the web page to attract readers? The best way I think to get here is the way I did, which was I followed a guy i admire intellectually and as a person. And Harlan is his favorite writer. And I am a cute chick (laughing).

Peacefully,
Shelly

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:54 am

Name: Ezra
Surprise, the Washington Post has a nice long obit in today's edition for Stanislaw Lem, although alas he is described as a Polish "SCI-FI" writer. (I suppose that battle was lost a long time ago, huh?)

Fairly complete write-up though, covers his youth during WWII, his uneasy relationship with the Communist government and even references the later controversy with the SFWA.

RIP

Eric Martin
Banned

Postby Eric Martin » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:04 am

Name: Eric Martin
>although alas he is described as a Polish "SCI-FI" writer. (I suppose that battle was lost a long time ago, huh?)<

Given that his estate and his publisher continue to shelve his books in the "sci-fi" section of bookstores, yeah, I suppose so. I wasn't aware there was much of a battle to begin with:

http://www.rpi.edu/~sofkam/lem/

Looks pretty "sci-fi" to me, Ezra.

Earl Wells

SCI-FI

Postby Earl Wells » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:52 am

Name: Earl Wells
>I wasn't aware there was much of a battle to begin with

To many long-time science fiction readers, the mainstream media's adoption of the silly term "sci-fi" -- rather than the preferred "sf" -- as shorthand for science fiction has been irritating, despite the fact that it was coined long ago by a long-time science fiction reader, Forrest J. Ackerman (as a riff on "hi-fi"). The feeling should be familiar to any aficionado of something that becomes popular but has an essence that seems poorly understood and indeed in danger of being smothered by the new, broader perception.

rich

Postby rich » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:29 am

Name: rich
I'm not sure I understand the rancor with the term "sci-fi". I understand HE's reluctance to be labeled "sci-fi" as most of what he produces isn't "sci-fi", but, then again, I don't think he'd like to be labeled "zucchini" either.

So what really is the hubbub between "sf" and "sci-fi" besides the obvious speculative fiction, science fiction. Quite frankly, speculative fiction seems to be redundant to me. To quote HE, "I live in a big house home."

Here's what I think: I think "speculative" is kind of hoity toity, a way to differentiate from the myopic masses of geeks and Trekkies. Nothing wrong with that, but I find the differing factions of science fiction (and whatever genres that includes) fans, each jockeying for bragging rights that their particular brand of science fiction is better than the others', interesting and pointless at the same time.

To me, "sci-fi" and "sf" is much ado about not much.

So can someone enlighten me on WHY there is such the hubbub about these labels?

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”