Pavilion Digest: March 2006

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

KristinRuhle

Minneapolis/Minicon

Postby KristinRuhle » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:00 pm

Name: Kristin Ruhl
Source: unca20060606.htm
Checking the Sheraton website: considering 4night stay (Thu-Mon)because I need to allow travel time: lowest "mundane" rate they post is $189/night and that is Internet only. Ouch! But if the Sofitel does not have a deal with the con i doubt it would be any cheaper and might even be more (It's an auto club 4 diamond hotel ...when i was there before they used brandy snifters for water glasses in the rooM!) Do you know if they have a better deal through AAA etc?

tyg

Postby tyg » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:43 pm

Name: Tom Galloway
Um, the Hilton Gaslamp is closer to the Convention Center than the Omni. It's right at the entrance to the Gaslamp District, and just on the other side of the train tracks when crossing the street from the new end of the Convention Center.

As for why San Diego's rooms sell out so quickly...um, attendance last year was over 100,000. Even with the new Omni, Hyatt tower, and Hilton, there's still just a shortage of hotel rooms relative to the number of people showing up.

Elias

Con!

Postby Elias » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:52 pm

Name: Elias
Let me check my printout you're right. I'm actually staying at the...Horton Grand! Smaller, older, very cozy hotel. It's going to be fun. Always is. In spite of the numbers (both kinds). ;-)

Paul L

One piece of strawberry tart without so much gibbon in it la

Postby Paul L » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:36 am

Name: Paul Lorello
Harlan: I'm a little late here, but thank you for your Electric Tiki recommendation. Way kewl indeed. The Hellboy and Lobster Johnson figures look mighty fine as well.

I remain

In the shadows,

Paul

Neal Johnson

LOFTUS

Postby Neal Johnson » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:55 am

Name: Neal Johnson
I believe I have seen the "other" Ellroy documentary. No idea what the title is, but it shows on the Independent Film Channel. JE must be the second most self-assured man I've ever encountered.

Warm regards, and ditto on all the positive Ellroy comments,
Neal

Mark S.

Comicon

Postby Mark S. » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:57 am

Name: Mark S.
I have heard the same '15 minute ' story and Mark Evanier also mentioned it in a mention about comic con some weeks ago. Hotels figure out their room rates not only from how many rooms they have available, but the availability of the other hotels and what they are charging. In the summer season prices can change several times during a day. Which is why you will see rates move from 145.00 to 300.00 for the same room, during a 5 day period. As Robert Klein once said about oil "We have the supply so we can deman whatever the fuck we want.!"

That said, if you don't mind being right in the thick of comicon, check the online services for price breaks. Between the buses that loop the area and the red car to mission valley, where hotels will definately be offering bargains, there are choices.

On another note and one that goes back to our ethics and morals chats, there is a strip call "State of the Union" by Carl Moore a political strip, not very amusing, rather hamfisted, with oversized heads and small bodies to fill the panel space.

Last, Friday he had Bill Mahar as his "Star" asking him about the sincerity of politics in Hollywood. The Mahar puppet says "You can take the sincerity of Hollywood and fit in a flea's navel alonge with 6 carraway seeds and a Agent's heart." Funny. Sharp. Stinging. The only problem its a famous quip by radio comedian Fred Allen, who said it more then 50 years ago.

The strip does not acknowledge the source of the quote, giving the impression that Mr. Moore is the author of it. I doubt this will have the same impact of the recent problems that the New York Times has had with its reporters who either made up their stories or were fed information by those with a personal agenda, but it does seem to show a trend, that people who have a soapbox to speak from, are not providing fact or sources for the things they say. FOX NEWS, I expect this from, but its a new low when a comic strip does it.

I don't know how successful "State of the Union" is, so I doubt that a tempest is awaiting it. I did send an email off to his syndicator, with so far no reply.

So, what does the group think of this latest example?

Todd Cassel

Postby Todd Cassel » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:21 am

Name: Todd Cassel
Frank, please stay in SD and hang out at the beach....or is that your home? Under the boardwalk? Fingers through the slats of old wood grabbing at dropped change? If all you saw of Phoenix was palm trees and the downtown, then you didnt see Phoenix, or Arizona for that matter.

Let me teach you a little lesson about the United States: not every city is a CITY. Not every city lives and dies by its downtown culture. Some cant support the type of culture as can be seen in such behemoths as NYC and Chicago, and the reason for that is because the general area has so much to offer that flocking to the downtown is not a requirement. Sure, smaller cities try all the time. Phoenix tries its best to offer more than the ballpark, basketball arena and Dodge Theater for nightlife, but even if we keep failing at that it doesnt matter because Phoenix is also the entire Valley of the Sun. Theres Scottsdale and Glendale and Peoria and Chandler and Tempe and wherever you are and wherever they try to express their independence, the truth is that this entire inhabited bit of desert is all Phoenix and if you can drag your ass away from the tiny downtown you would see that.

If you are anywhere where there are palm trees (other than nifty shiny new office parks and malls), then you are in an old part of town. Let me give you some history: when my brethren the jews started running out of sunshine retirement space in southern Fla, they somehow managed to discover this oasis and decided to make it the Florida of the West (the cheaper West, as they were flocking to L.A. as well). Thus, the palm trees. These are leftovers from the 50s and 60s. Today, Phoenicians embrace the desert, and you will be more likely to see beautiful saguaros standing tall than palm trees. If youre hanging around palm trees in the middle of an empty downtown and thinking you are experiencing Phoenix, then you are a sad person who must have touched down here for a couple of weeks until ASU threw you out on your ass.

Enjoy SD, Frank. Good luck buying that 800 sq. foot house for $1000/sq foot. Enjoy the beach...if you hop around while whistling Dixie, maybe Ill toss you a sawbuck when I come out there in July.

-TODD

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

RESPONSE TO JONO, ET AL:

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:53 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
I have no idea what forms the basis for your "hate-on" of Subterranean Press and its publisher, Bill Schafer...

Nor do I want to know...

That's your private property and none of my business...

BUT...

There have only been TWO publishers in my more-than-fifty years as a professional, dealing with HUNDREDS of publishers, large and small, pro and fan, who have been absolutely impeccable in their dealings with me.

One of them, of late, has fallen on difficult times, but has not in any smallest way played loose with our liaison.

The other, correct to the point of ethical flintiness, is Bill Schafer of Subterranean. I cannot express in fullest measure how honest, scrupulous, attentive to detail...simply put, how TERRIFIC he is. I have half a dozen projects with him, not the least of which is the gorgeous limited edition 35th+ anniversary edition of DEATHBIRD STORIES that I am fighting to get out of here this week ... and I am late with each and every one of them ... yet Bill, for all his own personal problems (and don't we all, even you, Jono, have a pocketful of THOSE), despite health and other difficulties, he has never lost a step, never hedged a bet, never compromised a promise TO ME.

As I say, I really don't want to get in your face about this; your contretemps are no concern of anyone here; but for others who may read your aside, let it be known--strictly as a balance--that if I had one publisher in the world upon whose trust rested the last years of my career, it would be

Bill Schafer. Subterranean Press.

Further, deponent sayeth not.

Yr. pal, Harlan

Elias

Phoenix Saga

Postby Elias » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:17 pm

Name: Elias
I've never been to Phoenix (drove straight through on the I-10 once, that's about it), but I was under the impression that the general Phoenix area was rather huge. Figure in the surrounding cities of Glendale, Chandler, Tempe, Mesa, and Scottsdale (which, I understand, is supposed to be on the ritzy side) and that's an area on order with San Diego and its own peripheries. No, I don't believe Phoenix is *urban* in appearance beyond downtown, if you're looking for Los Angeles-urban. On the other hand, I don't believe it's a dump, either, while all communities boast or conceal sectors that are worn around the edges, if not straight-up sh*tholes.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:16 pm

Name: Frank Church
Yea, the wonderous democracy of Afganistan lets the Christian out, but once he is in the streets, how long do you think it will take until a gang of roving thugs, paid for by the militia, decides to give this infidel a rinsing in the ade of hades? He will get killed, but nobody will complain, because our fearless leader brokered the deal to get the guy out of prison.

We will fall for it, once more.

--------------

Prince just mauled the guitar last night on SNL. The only good thing about SNL, since the show stopped being funny, or even mildly cute, for years.

The new Jimi is born.

Tim Maher

Prince

Postby Tim Maher » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:31 pm

Name: Tim Maher
Frank
You said Prince "mauled" the guitar last night on SNL - some may misinterpret what you mean. I thought he diddled those six strings like a hero. I was amazed at his craftsmanship on a strat and intend to buy his new CD based on what I saw and heard. I thought the song "Fury" was much better balanced, harder edged, and listenable than anything I'd heard from him in years. All imho of course.

The dancers during "Fury" looked like spastic marrionettes...but hey, that's entertainment right?

Normally I'd agree that SNL is no longer humorous...but I chuckled last night. Probably because they made light of the Superbowl anthem singers...whom I thought should have been made fun of. Darn, ended in a preposition...

A quick thanks to Unca Harlan and Billy Joel for opening my mind to some history. I'd been wondering who Eichmann was...now I know. Hanging was too good for him.

BrianSiano

Postby BrianSiano » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:56 am

Name: Brian Siano
Sad news, people: Stanislaw Lem has passed away.

Kelly Brown

Postby Kelly Brown » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:03 am

Name: Kelly Brown

There are far too many positive adjectives to list here that one can assign to Subterranean Press. As first time customer and then as a repeat customer I have received nothing but polite, timely service. Too say nothing off the quality. I wish all my books were printed by Subterranean.

When I sent email to the general information address about the availability of Deathbird last month Bill, himself, responded in less than 30 minutes.

Todd Cassel

Harlan's Chick

Postby Todd Cassel » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:20 am

Name: Todd Cassel
I was emailing a buddy of mine (lives outside Toronto) who was yakking about his becoming close friends with J. Gordon Liddy when he (my buddy) used to be a radio personality prior to becoming a corporate worker like myself. He mentioned a photo of him at dinner with Liddy and I had to make comment of my photo hanging by my PC of the dinner Debbie and I had with Harlan and Susan (and Shane and whatshisname the kid who used to check in here a lot and was going to school in Tucson at the time). Figured he wouldn't know who Harlan was.....and I was right, but he did send the following comment:

"Don't know Harlan but did check out his webpage. His wife looks pretty good."

And there you have it.....if you are an author looking for new readers, put a chick on your website.

-TODD

David Loftus

misattributions

Postby David Loftus » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:54 am

Name: Davud Loftus
Apropos of Mark S.'s comments on "State of the Union," I caught a similar misattribution last week. The Sunday paper before yesterday's had a review of Erica Jong's new book, and singled out for praise a comment that supermodels are gorgeous, but in bed they're like a bicycle.

Now, I know I saw that simile nearly 20 years ago, in an essay by Anthony Burgess about fashion designers. A friend who was in a position to know told him that sleeping with a supermodel is like going to bed with a bicycle. I saw it in Burgess's big collection, _But Do Blondes Prefer Gentleman?_, published in 1986 -- lord knows how much before that the original essay appeared.

And maybe it's not original with Burgess or his friend.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”