Pavilion Digest: March 2006

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Chuck Messer

Amazing Stories

Postby Chuck Messer » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:41 pm

Name: Chuck Messer
Source: unca20060606.htm
Hugo Gernsback must be spinning in his shroud right now.

Chuck

KristinRuhle

Postby KristinRuhle » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:15 pm

Name: Kristin Ruhl
Mark: Good to know...still have to make travelplans and this gets worse with each passing day!! If the con room block is NOT the entire Sheraton, I wonder if i'd get a bettter deal by pretending not to be with the con????

Kristin
I can't decide and the window of opportunity is about to slam shut on my fingers!

DTS

Amazing Stories...Subterranean

Postby DTS » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:29 pm

Name: DTS
JONO: Yeah, sorry 'bout that. Actually, the magazine was dead in the water a year and half ago. Guess there's no selling ya on buying a subscription to "Subterranean" (Magazine), published by the same, fine, small press publisher of that name, is there? They're putting together the fourth issue as I type this note (guest-edited by John Scalzi, featuring a story by Allen Steele, and packed with 19 pieces of fiction and nonfiction). The first issue featured a story by Harlan, and fiction by Joe Lansdale and Norman Partridge, plus an unproduced teleplay George RR Martin; the second issue featured fiction by Caitlin R. Kiernan, Robert Silverberg, Jack McDevitt and Charles De Lint, plust nonfiction by Michael Bishop. And the third issue featured work by Lewis Shineer, David J. Schow, Poppy Z. Brite, David Prill and Norman Partridge. AND...I have it on good authority that issue # 5 will feature a 15000 word Doc Savage novella by Philip Jose Farmer, as well as fiction by Elizabeth Bear, Orson Scott Card and Neal Barrett Jr.
So whattya say Jono? Willing to give my magazine suggestions another try? --DTS

Mark S.

Hotel rooms

Postby Mark S. » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:43 am

Name: Mark S.
In San Diego, where they have a great deal of experience due to comic-con, they lo-ball the number of rooms at the fixed price because they know the rooms will go quickly, leaving the rest of their rooms to be offered at rates that get progressively higher as the date gets closer.

The only way around this is if the convention organizers are guaranting a large amount of food and beverage, (Banquets,etc) over and above what the hotel restraunt is doing. If F&B is high, then the room rates stay low and the amount of rooms available stays open. I suspect that mini-con like most conventions is not doing a great deal of business in this area.

With Comic-con, the hotels make their money exclusively with room rates, since only one "Hosts" the Inkpot Awards, and most guests eat on the run or at the convention hall.

My guess is mini-con negotiated a minimum amount of rooms, which sold out quickly and that the hotel is hoping to make more money in selling the available rooms at the high rates. Ways around this is checking the usual online-hotel room services which bulk buy rooms and offer lower rates then the hotel itself. The other solution is finding lodgings at rooms close to the convention site but not the "host" hotel.

By the way, for those thinking about comic-con in San Diego, you might want to start checking for rooms, the reservation wndow opened a while ago and you might want to check on room rates and availability.

Jono

Postby Jono » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:31 am

Name: jono
Hiya Dorman,

I can count the number of times in my life Ive subscribed to a fiction magazine on one finger. Not that I dont subscribe to zines in general (National Geographic, Macleans and Locus currently, and really eyeing Archeology), but I do find, for my taste, that most fiction magazines are so up and down content-wise that it isnt worth it. Im really a book-guy: the only other time I was really tempted to subscribe was to Jim Baens Galaxy back in the seventies.

After the Finder was kind enough to send me a copy of the new version of Amazing (Thanks again!), I really had to hustle about magazine kiosks to get subsequent issues, so subscribing was a good way of giving my poor old dogs a break. The real shame of Amazing for me was that I thought they really nailed the regular features, reviews etc., so that I thought even if the fiction doesnt always turn me on, at least the regular columns will allow me to feel that Im not just wasting my money.

As for Subterranean, Ive managed to keep a rather intense hate-on for that pompous, self-important jerk Bill Schafer and have sworn a mighty oath never to buy anything hes had a hand in again.

Although, as I pull out my lettered edition of Silverbobs Phases of the Moon (Ooo - pretty, pretty, precious!) and stroke it lovingly, I have to admit the man sure makes a fine book. And a new Doc Savage story by Phil Farmer? Hmm, may just have to bust another resolution. Fortunately, as a smoker, I have lots of practice in breaking resolutions! :)

Luv to all,

jono

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:00 am

Name: Lee

Gotta add some balance to jono's comment on Subterranean.

I'm sure whatever personal experience he's had with the glorious leader warrants the sentiments, but my experiences w/ Subterranean the company has been nothing short of perfection. Gorgeous art, fine binding and a meticulous attention to detail. As I've said once before, in a note to customer service on an address change I casually referenced a glue mark on the slip case of the (incredible) GRRM retrospective and without my even asking they sent me a replacement case.

Maybe the glorious leader is a jerk, but there's some great work coming out of Subterranean.

Alan Coil

San Diego comics convention.

Postby Alan Coil » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:16 am

Name: Alan Coil
I read that the rooms that were reserved at discount prices for the comic book convention sold out in the first 15 minutes.

Of course, there are plenty of rooms available at the higher prices.

Also, it has been reported in the past that the cost of the hotel rooms sometimes doubles as the convention gets closer, so reserve a room now if you want one.

The law of supply-and-demand at work. Ain't this a wonderful system?

Ubom Water

Postby Ubom Water » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:54 am

Name: Ubom Water
How many times has Amazing gone under now? Three or four? Poor Amazing.

Todd Cassel

Postby Todd Cassel » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:36 am

Name: Todd Cassel
I'm not sure if people are correct about the SD Comicon lowballing rooms to start and then hiking them up later. I attended for the first time last year and snuck myself into the Radisson pretty late in the game. It wasn't so close that I could walk to the convention center, but the shuttle bus system was surprisingly perfect: never expected that.

This year I was one of the folks who called in on Day One of reservations. Hotels were booking so fast that by the time the guy on the phone got ahold of one, I was back at the Radisson even though I was willing to spend more for staying closer. No probs....we enjoyed it there.

The price was just about the same as last year when I booked late.

I don't think there is some 'scheme' to sell out the 'cheap' rooms and then force you into more expensive rooms. They appear to quite honestly sell out on initial available rooms, picking up more as the Spring progresses into Summer. They aren't hiking the rates, they're just competing with other travelers who enjoy SD for reasons other than the Comic-con.

-TODD

Barney Dannelke

James Bama and Doc Savage

Postby Barney Dannelke » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:17 am

Name: Barney Dannelke
*** Harlan *** I'm on a couple of Doc Savage newsgroups over on Yahoo. I don't think the content would interest you much - usually. However in the last few months they've been ramping up one of their annual Doc Conventions. These are pretty low-key with only perhaps a few dozen in attendance. But recently a few of the hardcore Doc fans have been working with the estate of Lester Dent in order to try and get a Doc Savage Museum going in La Plata, MO. which is Lester Dent's home town and just up the way from Hannibal, MO. where some other writer came from.

In any case I've offered my Doc collection to the museum/cause once they're closer to opening and have there not-for-profit deal established - this would be a set of all the PB's and Whitman's and comics and what have you. Someone else is going to have to cough up the original pulps as I never really got into collecting these much before 1955. I've also been in contact with Boris who did some Doc covers in the 1980's and we may be able to track a few of his paintings down for this cause. Boris has his studio a few blocks from my house.

Here's where you come in. Do you know James Bama? I know you did the intro. for the new James Bama retrospective and I know you know of him / about him, but do you know him? And if this is in that introduction you wrote I'm sorry but I've not read it yet. Reason I ask is that it is "the understanding" of a bunch of these Doc fans - myself included - that many/most of the DOC SAVAGE paintings Mr. Bama did were treated about as well as the Dillon REGENCY material was. In other words, theft, badly stored adhesion problems, destroyed in reproduction, etc. If that's the case and these are all gone, well, crap. BUT, if there are any of these left and Mr. Bama has one or two OR knows the collectors who might have one of them - well, it goes almost without saying that it would be a tremendous honor to get one or more of these for display in the proposed museum.

So, as you can see, some of this is tentative, but I don't think this is all blue-sky. These are some can-do people. Much as I like my Doc collection, I've got tons of other stuff and what better place for my Doc collection than in a DOC museum. Perhaps you know of a Bama collector [or Baumhoffer collector for that matter] who might feel the same way.

- Barney

p.s. - On the Scientology thread, there was also a great back issue of The Gauntlet [#8 - 1994] that did a full issue of Scientology expose material. FYI whoever.

Chuck Messer

Speaking of Scientology....

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:47 am

Name: Chuck Messer
And then there was the National Lampoon parody of Scientology done back in the 90's. I believe they called it Diuretics. Those that took the full course would eventually achieve a state of "empty".

Chuck

rich

Postby rich » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:10 am

Name: rich
"Those that took the full course would eventually achieve a state of 'empty'."

Something similar occurs after satiating oneself at the Golden Corral buffet. Whatever's in that Cauldron of Fury, next to the drying mashed potatoes and the withered green beans, causes one to have a race with the devil on the drive home.

When will it hit you? Hopefully not before you make it to the privy.

Jeff R.

Postby Jeff R. » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:36 am

Name: Jeff R.
Harlan, thanks for introducing me to Electric Tiki. In addition to Flash Gordon and Zorro, their Lone Ranger, Dick Tracy and Phantom are gorgeous also. I can't really afford them at the moment, but I can dream.

Also, thanks for introducing me to the word "prolegomenon." Around here, one really DOES learn something new every day! Now if only John Simon had a website. Maybe something like, oh, say, www.sesquipedality.com, perhaps?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:16 pm

Name: Frank Church
Everybody knows that hotels hike up prices anytime some event comes around the bend. That's what all corporations do; they screw the people who give them their bounty, but want all of us to divvy up, when it comes to tax season. Their bounty is our shame.

----------------

Let me be as blunt as I can be, Phoenix is one fucking ugly city, full of boring palm trees and desert heat, that makes your mouth always feel like a dust bowl. The downtown area is about as imaginative as most suburban sprawl, garbage dumps. The city also reaks of poverty and malaise, that cannot be easily scrubbed away, not even when you click your heels or do lots of good party drugs.

Todd, no bitching at me, you know I am telling the truth. Those spanish tile roofs on every fucking house really shows imagination. And, their library system sucks ass. You cannot find any decent Ellison, and I don't mean Ralph. You walk a block and you have to drink a gallon of water; I mean, who in the hell can take that? At least Vegas has gambling and pretty dames.

What a hole, what a hole. Glad to be here in San Diego. At least we have the fucking beach.

Elias

Postby Elias » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:17 pm

Name: Elias
"I read that the rooms that were reserved at discount prices for the comic book convention sold out in the first 15 minutes."

That's no exaggeration. Being in SoCal, I always make sure I'm on the computer at 9AM sharp to get my room. This year I made a boo-boo and got out of the shower late, and it was approaching one-quarter after when I refreshed the link. I was also set to book a room for my sister & bro-in-law, and lo! The entire grid was practically "X"-ed out. In a feverish panic I managed to do the sensible thing and searched out a suite or quad room, and hit paydirt with the Gas Lamp Hilton only 3 blocks from the Convention Center. Over the years I've stayed at the Clarion (awful; under different ownership now), Radisson, Bristol (nice, affordable, next to the Horton Plaza, but a bit of a distance like the Radisson) and the Best Western Bayside Inn. I would love to stay at the Omni (right across the street from the Con Ctr), but I, er, didn't act quickly enough, did I?

Go to Comic Con! It's an awesome event. And yes, it's balls-to-the-wall, IYKWIM. :)

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”