Pavilion Digest: March 2006

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Mark S.

Reissues of our Esteem Host

Postby Mark S. » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:26 pm

Name: Mark S.
Source: unca20060316.htm
I might have missed a few postings, but could someone please bring me up to speed on what works by Harlan are being reissued and where I can place an order. I have the majority of Harlan's works but they are well-thumbed and read paperbacks. Thank you to any who can provide an answer.

steveperry

foreign editions of Harlan's work

Postby steveperry » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:33 pm

Name: Stephen
Harlan,

Here is a list of the books I found so far. Sorry it took so long. There may be up to a dozen others scattered around, I'll keep looking. Let me know if you're still interested.

Stephen

German
=======================================================
The Outer Limits (Die Unbekannte Dimension) Band 1 ("Soldat" von Harlan Ellison)
Mefisto In Onyx
Nie wieder Krieg ("Basilisk")
Der silberne Korridor
Damon Knight's Collection 5 Neue Science Fiction Stories ("Zerbrochen wie ein glasernes Flaschenteufelchen")
Playboy Science Fiction: Ein Junge und sein Hund (2 copies)
Science Fiction Stories 35
Science Fiction Stories 38
Science Fiction Stories 61
25 Jahre Thriller Jubilums-Lesebuch ("Das Winseln geprgelter Hunde")

French
territoires de l'inquietude ("mal de solitude" par Harlan Ellison)
dangereuses visions tome 1
dangereuses visions tome 2
Fiction science-fiction insolite fantastique #197 ("Viens a moi, non dans la blancheur de l'hiver...") [with Roger Zelazny]
Fiction science-fiction insolite fantastique #227 ("Encrypte")
le saint Detective Magazine ("Une affaire d'honneur")
du pays de la peurainsi sera-t-il
La Frontiere Avenir anthologie de la Science-Fiction amricaine d'aujourd'hui
La Bte Qui Criait Amour Au Coeur (x2)
Hitler peignait des roses
Gentleman junkie (Humanos Associs)
La Chanson Du Zombie

Italian
Brividi d'avtore ("Un vecchio stanco" ~ Harlan Ellison)
il meglio di Galaxy 1 ("Un Obolo, Dagli Occhi Del Morto") (x2)
Galaxy #99 ("Rencontre avec Harlan Ellison" une interview de Patrice Duvic)
Galaxy #82 ("Le jour du pteranodon") [with Keith Laumer]
IO, ROBOT (illustrated by Mark Zug)
Urania presenta Millemondi Autunno 1996 ("Dura Da Scontare" Harlan Hellison [sic])
Vic & Blood
Le Citt che Ci Aspettano (Prima Edizione Oscar Mondadori, 1977)

Spanish
Visiones Peligrosas II (Antologia de Harlan Ellison)

UK
The Beast That Shouted Love At The Heart Of The World
All The Sounds Of Fear
Approaching Oblivion
Shatterday
Dangerous Visions 3
Again, Dangerous Visions 1
Again, Dangerous Visions 2
Locus SF News & Review #486 (July 2001)

Shelly

Postby Shelly » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:00 pm

Name: Shelly
Dear Benjamin,
I'm sorry too, but all I really got out of the thank you note was that Harlan's mom raised him right. I suppose I am just too obtuse to see the deep inner meaning here.
Laughing,
Shelly
P.S. It's possible you lost me on the "nihilism" section.

JaySmith

Dean Stockwell on Battlestar Galactica

Postby JaySmith » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:48 am

Name: Jay Smith
Just watched this week's episode on the Skiffy Channel ("Lay Down Your Burdens, Part 1") where Dean Stockwell played a small, but important role as a spiritual counselor to a very fraked-up Chief Tyrol. It read like a part crafted specifically for Harlan, especially its message about being responsible for yourself rather than handing your fate over to the uncaring gods or relying on them to make decisions or represent your moral or personal choices.

I enjoy and respect Dean, but I wonder how Harlan would have played it.

As Cavalaxis, Cindy and I often ask each other, "WWHD?"

Neal Johnson

spend-a-penny

Postby Neal Johnson » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:31 am

Name: Neal Johnson
upon initial examination, "micturated urine" appears a redundancy, but careful thought reveals otherwise

it's what we find ON us, as opposed to what remains IN us, innit?

at any rate, Ash, it sure is a funny thing to say/read,

gotta go,
Neal

Jan

Postby Jan » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:32 am

Name: Jan
Mark: You can check amazon.com every now and then, they usually list books well before they are released. In Harlan's case there'll soon be a new HC edition of MIND FIELDS and DREAM CORRIDOR VOL. 2.

Stephen: The Italian Galaxy's have French-language articles in them? :-) Don't kid us.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

ASIDE TO JAY SMITH

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:13 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Remind me some day to recount to you of the afternoon I grabbed Dean Stockwell with both fists,by the back of his shirt, and slung him as hard, as angrily, as intentionally intending to do as much damage as possible as I could, down the length of the old Beverly Glen neighborhood beer bar (long since vanished, expanded, and now called The Four Oaks Cafe). Back in the day. Between 1963 and '66. It was the sole occasion on which ever we met, before or since.

Yr. pal, Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:15 pm

MARK:

Try our Webderland bookstore. Many of the titles you seek, in First Editions, for a lot less than the antiquarian dealers charge, are here to be bought, from Susan and

Yr. pal, Harlan

Ash

Postby Ash » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:15 pm

Name: Ash
Neal J: same occurred to me just as I hit the send button (dang, I *knew* one of the shit-hot nitpickers here would pick me up on that!)

remarck

well, going to see Bill Cosby tonight.

Postby remarck » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:15 pm

Name: Keith Cramer
Harlan,

Your friendship with the fine actor Robert Culp is well known, but did you ever meet Bill Cosby? And if so, how did you guys hit it off? Hopefully, I sit and wait for your answer (until 5:50pm, PST, at which point I am away). You must have known Mr. Culp in the days of I-Spy, and I'd be surprised if you never met Bill Cosby.

-Keith

Bodkin

Postby Bodkin » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:29 pm

Name: Bodkin
Having once been embarrassed by Mr. Stockwell in front of a *large* group of people, I'd *love* to hear that particular story.

JaySmith

Dean Across the Bar...

Postby JaySmith » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:48 pm

Name: Jay Smith
Harlan, that's a move I suspect Ziggy didn't see coming. (or the Whately clan.) Nonetheless, I'd love to hear the hows and whys of that one day.

Mark S.

Shopping for Books

Postby Mark S. » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:36 pm

Name: Mark S.
Thank you Mr. Ellison and the others on the board for the help. I have checked the list, and sent off a check for HERC with a order going out for the 50th Edition of the Essential Ellison to join the original Nemo edition. I am looking forward to the Glass Teat reissue, The Dream Corridor collection and anything else you have up your sleeve and ready to share.

The CNN website, posted a nice article on Ms Butler. A few days late but still very respectful of her and her works.

Todd Cassel

Postby Todd Cassel » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:51 pm

Name: Todd Cassel
Not that I care much about the Academy and it's decisions, but I'm thrilled that CRASH won.

A) I enjoyed it. There are many haters, and that's because they just think it's a message-film cramming it's love-everbuddy story down their throats...but what I saw was a cleverly acted and scripted movie that made me laugh at surprising moments.

B) This year's awards were blessing an average movie in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN. Sorry, but handing the Oscar to that movie would have been the wrong thing, because it's a piffle. It does not present a realistic look at gay love.....I never felt the love; I never felt anything. SIX FEET UNDER was a more realistic take on gay love. I respect Ang Lee and his work, and I'm happy he won the Oscar...THE ICE STORM is one of my favorites.....but BROKEBACK was being pushed for more than the film that it was, and I'm glad for the surprise loss.

Then again, as I said before, I don't care much about the Academy and it's decisions....but at least tonight, I smile for a clever movie that was miles better than BROKEBACK and even last year's MILLION DOLLAR BABY (also written by Haggis, but not as clever and funny).

-TODD

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:53 pm

Sorry, Keith; never met Bill Cosby.

-he

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”