Pavilion Digest: March 2006

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

tyg

Postby tyg » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:47 pm

Name: Tom Galloway
Source: unca20060316.htm
If we're going with comic book characters, I'd have to say that, other than that narrator guy in Dream Corridor, the character most based on Harlan would be Harlequin Ellis in Justice League of America #89. Just a hunch there though.

Todd Cassel

Postby Todd Cassel » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:04 pm

Name: Todd Cassel
Thanks for the response, Harlan! It was just that scene that made me say, "Hey, waitaminute, didn't I hear once that Dreyfuss was doing Ellison in this movie?" For a second, I thought that you had actually dubbed "El buffo!" during some session where Dreyfuss was unavailable.

I was also struck by your voice and words streaming from his lips during the scene where Marsha Mason interrupts him in his room while he is desperately practicing his role with hump and limp.

-TODD

Brad Stevens

Postby Brad Stevens » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:13 pm

Name: Brad Stevens
Since we're on the subject, I vaguely recall that, after Harlan's interview in The Comics Journal, one of the people he'd made some kind of negative comment about created a super villain who was said to be based on Harlan. I believe that this character appeared in a DC comic. Does this ring any bells?

Ash

Green cheese, anyone?

Postby Ash » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:16 pm

Name: Ash
The subject of Ellison references in comics reminds me of a short story (with illustrations) that appeared in the 1981 2000AD Annual. The story was called 'Bang! Bang! said the Green Cheese Man', and the first person narrator went by the name 'Harlan Ellis'. As I recall, not so much a superhero, as a wheeler-dealer involved in selling off the Moon or something like that.

Google only gives me the 2000AD site as proof that I did not imagine this. Am I the only person who remembers this story? Anybody have more info?

Kate

Why I Like Mr. Ellison

Postby Kate » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:21 pm

Name: Kate
1. His way with words -- the man swings. No doubt about it.
2. He doesn't B.S. Take it or leave it: it is what it is. In this world of PC and BS, he always rings true.
3. His good heart: he rages against what he believes is wrong, and always takes a stand on the side of what he believes to be the right, just and noble cause -- and doesn't care if it wins him popularity or not. A singular man.
4. He bothers with us -- he doesn't have to, you know.
5. As a Sinatra fan, can I just add this: I love the way he feels a sense of loss over not being able to enjoy Sinatra's music because of Sinatra's bad behavior. Yeah, I love Sinatra's music; but he often behaved very badly. I can listen to the music and enjoy it. But I didn't have that encounter that Mr. Ellison did -- which was, to put it mildly, a rude, perplexing and awful experience. But the fact that Mr. Ellison still admits to having had a fondness for the music (prior to the experience) and feeling the loss and "pain" over its absence in his life due to those bad memories, makes him tops in my book. How many of us can admit the talent of those who treat us unfairly and irrationally? Again, a singular man.

Mr. Ellison, I read your site often, but rarely post. But I think you're very special.

Thanks for letting me bend your ear.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:44 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Thank you, Kate.

Sometimes I forget how nice so many people can be.

Respectfully, Harlan Ellison

Ben

Postby Ben » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:42 pm

Name: Ben Winfield
"Sometimes I forget how nice so many people can be."

Strange. After hearing (and reading) the misanthropic, bile-bloated rants of George Carlin and his disciples, it's almost startling to see a quiet, low-key sign of geniality from the alleged Master Cynic himself.

Greg Hurd

Postby Greg Hurd » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:52 pm

Name: Greg Hurd
A recent "image" search for HE finds a bunch of Terminator links + a paperback copy (which I don't have) with a major plug from Richard Dawson??? Where is the shame---and how can I get one?

Shelly

Postby Shelly » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:07 pm

Name: Shelly
Dear Benjamin,
Kate wrote a sweet and sincere fan letter and Harlan graciously thanked her. Being a cynic does not preclude being a nice person, nor a polite one. Your comment really puzzled me.
Peacefully,
Shelly

Rob Ewen

Laff-a-lot

Postby Rob Ewen » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:02 am

Name: Rob Ewen
If anybody on the US West Coast is curious about what's currently tickling the British funny bone, you may want to see Tommy Tiernan and Bill Bailey at UCLA - details below.

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/page.asp?RelNum=6784

thanks
Rob

Shane Shellenbarger

Postby Shane Shellenbarger » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:39 am

Name: Shane Shellenbarger
Harlan, please accept my most sincere condolences at the loss of another friend. I was shocked to hear about the death of Octavia Butler. I had the pleasure of hearing her speak at the Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts over a decade ago.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/03/03/ ... butler.php
http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/ne ... 010232.htm
http://www.calendarlive.com/books/cl-et ... l=cl-books
http://www.slate.com/id/2137269/

Ben

Postby Ben » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:28 am

Name: Ben Winfield
Shelly,

My comment "puzzled" you? The fact that the same man who produced THE WHIMPER OF WHIPPED DOGS could make such an unremarkable yet sincere remark about the possiblity of a decent portion of humanity (nihilism is like a fashion these days; it's "in" to be hateful), encourages me to get out of bed in the morning. I'm sorry, but you misinterpreted the tone of my post.

Roger Gjovig

Postby Roger Gjovig » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:58 am

Name: Roger Gjovig
I stopped at a comic book convention here in Des Moines today and filled some holes in my collection and got a few leads on filling the rest of the holes in my Aragones/Groo comics. I got a few old Twilight Zone issues and stumbled across some old Rocky and Bullwinkle ones which I snatched up.I also found an old issue of Amazing Stories which had the collaboration of Harlan and Samuel Delaney on "Power of the Nail".I did pick that one up also. Harlan would you have any info for us on the new edition of "Partners in Wonder" which will have some new stories this time around? I'm looking forward to seeing you and Susan soon in Minneapolis.Take care.
Roger

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:22 pm

Name: Lee

Roger,

Let me know if you're interested in Cerebus.

I've got some early issues, including #1, that I'm getting rid of.

Ash

unremarkable yet sincere remark

Postby Ash » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:00 pm

Name: Ash
What gets me out of bed in the morning is the warm expanse of freshly micturated urine.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”