Pavilion Digest: March 2006

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: March 2006

Postby admin » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:00 am

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of March 2006.

Ryan Leasher

Postby Ryan Leasher » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:00 am

Name: Ryan Leasher
Source: unca20060316.htm

Harlan-

First, ran across these and thought you might like to see them:

http://www.al.com/unseen/

A cache of photos from the civil rights movement in Alambama was recently discovered by The Birmingham News and they've put them online for viewing.

Second, not having read any of Octavia Butler's work, do you have a suggestion for both a collection of short stories and for a novel as starting points?

Thanks.

--
Ryan Leasher

BrianSiano

Octavia Estelle Butler stuff

Postby BrianSiano » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:55 am

Name: Brian Siano
From http://web.mit.edu/comm-forum/forums/octaviabutler.html. Links are active, and have great articles.

"Eight years ago, Butler participated in a series of discussions at MIT about science fiction, media and imagination."

"Devil Girl From Mars": Why I Write Science Fiction by Octavia Butler (posted Oct. 4, 1998)

Octavia Butler profile by Henry Jenkins (posted July 29, 1998)

Octavia Butler and Samuel Delany discussion (posted Aug. 29, 1998)

Browse to the link above, and from there, you can access these articles.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:28 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
FRANK (as in Church):

Benisons upon thy curly li'l head.

RYAN:

Start with her novel KINDRED. Anything you choose thereafter will only concretize your awe of her talent. But do start with KINDRED. In print.

Yr. pal, Harlan

Site Admin

New York Times

Postby Moderator » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:58 pm

Name: Steve Barber
Delayed, but well written.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/01/books/01butler.html

Steve Pyskoty-Olle

Beginning Butler

Postby Steve Pyskoty-Olle » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:14 pm

Name: Steve Pyskoty-Olle
Data gleaned from a VERY small pool (four subjects, including self) "proves" that people who read KINDRED first read no further, but those who read THE PARABLE OF THE SOWER first become lifelong fans.

Both are unforgettably powerful tales, but, for me, SOWER has much more of a gut-punch realism to it, and I was more emotionally invested in what the future held for Lauren (SOWER; TALENTS) than I was for Dana (KINDRED).

Joe L.

The Ghost and Mr. Ellison

Postby Joe L. » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:50 pm

Name: Joe L.
Harlan,
Could we coax you into leading a small but hardy band of adventurers thru the Winchester Mystery House culminating in a midnight reading by candlelight of your favorite blood curdling ghost story in the Seance room? Proceeds to your charity of choice.Seance as time and nerve permit!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:28 pm

Name: Frank Church
That smoke thing and the crossed up holy water ritual really made it special for me. Thank you Harlan. Always in love, friendly foil.

-------------

Eric is that eternal rubber ball, tottering off into the infernal netherworld where you always bounce, but never land.

Reece Morehead

Octavia Butler

Postby Reece Morehead » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:02 pm

Name: Reece Morehead
Harlan: In your Sunday, February 26, 2006, 13:47:2 post you wrote, "Octavia ...whom I...first met in the mid-'70s...."

Excuse me? At the July, 1970, Pittsburgh convention you attended, you were on a panel discussion at which you mentioned some of the new writers you had worked with at that year's Clarion (I think it was) workshop. You singled out Octavia's work for special praise. I think you even termed one of her stories as "dynamite." You championed her work even sooner than you thought.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:37 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
REECE:

You are absolutely right; I was absolutely wrong. To my horror, to my absolute and utter amazement, only today, as I was writing the memorial piece about Estelle (Octavia) for LOCUS, and I reached the line in which I began to tell about first meeting her, I went back to my daily calendars, from 1972-forward, and not only couldn't find, in situ, any mention of Estelle . . . I couldn't even find a mention of the WGAw Open Door Program at which I taught for two years. I went over and over those desk calendar pages, with the most ridiculous bits of minutiae noted (movies seen, lunches with whom, dinners at which boite, and on and on), and there wasn't even a jot.

I thought I was losing my mind, even though I could REMEMBER the names of my students--Lonnie Chapman, who had lost a left eye in a gang fight and who wore an eye patch behind which, in the empty socket, he stored his stash--Dennis Pryor, who looked like an even more handsome version of Belafonte, who wanted desperately to be a writer, but who was too busy hustling to sit and do the work--hell, I even knew Dennis's kid, Darryl, who works in the Industry--and of course, Estelle--but why no mention?????

I thought I was losing my memory and substituting fantasy.

Then Susan went online and googled up some archives of Estelle, where she talked about the Open Door Program and, gawdamighty, it was (are you ready for this . . . ? . . . I know I wasn't) in 1969 that we met! Not mid-'70s as I'd thought, but only seven years after I'd gotten to Hollywood myself.

You were right, I was tabula rasa.

Gawdamighty!

----------------------------------------------------------------

I adore the Winchester Mystery House...or at least, I used to. I went there, almost as pilgrimage, every year from 1960 till oh perhaps ten years ago. Mrs. Winchester was a design genius, whose ways of solving problems, such as the arthritis that wouldn't permit her to use normal-sized stairs, were and are and always will be, some of the most astonishing architectural thinking of her time. But the surrounding area has been so mall-ified, and the House itself had become so commercialized, with that odious trinket shop, and the fucking videogames and pinball machines for the kids, so they won't have to accompany their moldy-fig parents on that "uncool trip through a creepy old house" ... that I haven't been back since. Really hurts. Like not being able to enjoy Sinatra's music after my run-in with him proved what a bullying shithead he was sometimes.

Your suggestion is wonderful, I'd love to do it, but who pays to get us there, and would it be done after Tourist Hours, and what and what and what and what...

Don't tease an old storyteller, kiddo, lessen' you got the goods.

Yr. pal, Harlan

Mark S.

Winchester Mystery House

Postby Mark S. » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:13 pm

Name: Mark S.
I grew up in the Santa Clara Valley in the 1960s and it seemed that 1 out of every 6 field trips were to the Winchester Mystery House, which was an isolated corner, that you reached by surface streets and whose closest neighbor was the funky Town and Country shopping center and a Doggie Diner at the corner.

They had three different tours of the place then each to differnt parts of the house going to rooms that had no doors, steps that lead no where all to keep the ghosts happy who Mrs. Winchester thought were victims of the families rifles. One year, they kept the place open on Holloween, where kids from all over the valley showed up in costume and besides the tour and some candy, one of the docent sat in a old fashion wicker chair and read Ray Bradbury's "Halloween Tree" to us. It was the best holloween of my childhood.

You are right, Harlan that as the area got built up, freeways butted up against the house, movie theaters popped up, and used car lots took away its semi-rural Addams Family charm and made it another tourist trap. But for awhile it was this wonderful spook stop for every kid in the valley.

KristinRuhle

Postby KristinRuhle » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:58 pm

Name: Kristin A Ruhle
as i type I am visiting friends around the corner from the Winchester Mystery House....Town and Country is gone, replaced by a faux European-village apartment and retail development called Santana Row, with shops like Gucci and Burberry and luxury condos and fashionable restaurants. The tacky looking Century movie theaters are still there altho they finally remodeled the interiors some (the 21, withe the biggest screen in the area, had been getting VERY run down.) T&C once had a wonderful bookstore called Books Inc, which is now so long gone some folks might not even remember; it closed soon after Barnes and Noble moved in nearby. You have to go twenty miles up the peninsula to find a real bookstore these days.

The area has gotten veery yuppified, but the tourist trap is still there.

Kristin

David Loftus

various and sundry

Postby David Loftus » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:04 pm

Name: David Loftus
It must be one terrific feeling to witness a unique talent a-borning . . . one that ALMOST makes up for seeing it snuff out long before its time. A sad week, indeed, but one that drives us back to the work that survives, and will undoubtedly move others to try it for the first time, to their great benefit.

Here's what I'm cooking up for next week:

March 2 is the birthday of Theodore Geisel, which means Story Time for Grownups will feature stories of Dr. Seuss, at Grendels Coffee House, 729 E. Burnside, 503-595-9550, at 7:30 p.m. on Monday, March 6, 2006. Admission is free.

From Mulberry Street to McElligots Pool, from Yertle to Thidwick, from Horton to the Grinch, from the Cat in the Hat to Bartholomew Cubbins, Dr. Seuss introduced the world to an array of unforgettable characters. He played -- gloriously -- with words, took us On Beyond Zebra, whipped up Scrambled Eggs Super, and actually got us to taste Green Eggs and Ham.

Later this month, I'll read the role of Marius Byleveld in Athol Fugards The Road to Mecca at Mt Hood Reps Readers Theatre on March 20, and will play defense counsel Herbert Marks in NW Classical Theatres production of In the Matter of J. Robert Oppenheimer, March 16 through April 15.

Come to Grendel's on Monday evening, have a cuppa joe or tea and a cookie, and relive your childhood. Hear some old favorites, and just possibly, be surprised by a Dr. Seuss tale you've never read or heard before.

In April, I have this crazy idea of reading some of my favorite pieces by a fellow . . . oh, what's his name? . . . Ellison?

Horatio "Mondo" Cane

Last Word on this

Postby Horatio "Mondo" Cane » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:06 am

Name: Horatio "Mondo" Cane
Duane, exact quote: "The AXE bass is a GENE SIMMONS AXE BASS. I own the phrase "Axe." would be like Steve Jobs saying "This is an Apple Computer, I run Apple" and thinking somehow he runs a treadmill that powers it. It is no different than John Carpenter's new habit of adding his name to a movie. It becomes part of the title. Gene may have put it wrong, I 'll give you that, but he's always been high on self promotion. (not that it improves the music). If you have an agenda or point to make, you can take any sentence out of context and run with it. Paste "GENE SIMMONS AXE BASS" or simply "AXE BASS" wherever you see fit...and no, Apple Computer has nothing to do with Apple Records or the apples down at the corner store-it's simply a name. What about the Gore/internet thing??

Duane

Postby Duane » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:08 am

Name: Duane
Sure, whatever you say. I don't even know who you are.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”