Pavilion Digest: February 2006

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

AlexKrislov

Octavia Butler

Postby AlexKrislov » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:18 am

Name: Alex Krislov
Source: unca20060316.htm
I can't believe this. I feel like we're all dwelling in the land of the dead.

We've lost many fine creators these past few years, but Octavia was _young._ By my standards anyway. Mid-fifties is still far too young to shuffle off the path.

I interviewed her late last year, a chat about her new novel. She talked about living alone, and how she defined family.

"I never married, so I've learned to interweave friends," she told me. "I'm a hermit myself, so I'm not a wonderful friend, but my characters can be. My characters can be much better friends and relatives than me. It's community that my characters build around themselves, whether they're in a relationship of family or not, all of them build a comm around themselves."

We're Octavia's community--we who knew her, read her, admired her. It's up to us to sit shiva.

Duane

Postby Duane » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:46 am

Name: Duane
My first exposure to Octavia Butler (yeah, I came to the party late) was Parable Of The Talents. It took a good long while to get my head all the way around that one, and I'm going to have to go back and read it again now.

"Mondo," paste the following link into your browser:

www.genesimmons.com/fanstories/letters1/index052.html

Search the phrase "I own the phrase 'Axe.'" Note the name of the person who wrote the phrase. Note the name of the website. Note the name of the website AGAIN.

And don't forget to have a nice day.

Chris Voss

Octavia Butler

Postby Chris Voss » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:24 am

Name: Chris Voss
Sad news...my most heartfelt condolences, Harlan. I remember my first exposure to Octavia Butler in high school with her novel Dawn. Strange, beautiful music, and a giant's voice snuffed far too soon.

Jeff R.

Octavia Butler

Postby Jeff R. » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:50 pm

Name: Jeff R.
From today's LA Times obituary on Octavia Butler:

The focus on writing paid off when, at the age of 18, she earned a spot in a screenwriting program conceived by a group of writers that included Harlan Ellison, a legend in the science fiction genre whose work includes scripts for "Twilight Zone," "The Outer Limits" and "Star Trek." Although her screenplay was awful, Ellison saw wonderful prose in it and encouraged her to write a novel.

"She's one of my best discoveries," he told The Times in 1998.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:49 pm

Name: Frank Church
You notice the media always has to mention the fact that Octavia had worked on Star Trek, like that is the main thing that matters; not her prose, or her ways of opening a window to the African American experiece. No, being a writer on some dumb pop culture artifact is deemed more important.

Being elitist just seems more common sense, every day.

Eric Martin
Banned

Postby Eric Martin » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:54 pm

Name: Eric Martin
Working on Star Trek is not the "main thing" Paul/Frank, but it's the one thing average readers are going to know about. Most people in this country, whether they are elitist or not, don't read science fiction. But most people do know about Star Trek, and while you may find it a "dumb artifact," it's generally considered a premiere property that has helped a lot of careers.

Ben

Postby Ben » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:58 pm

Name: Ben Winfield
I loved Darren McGavin. The thought of McGavin's Kolchak and George W. Bush locked in the same press conference room brings tears of happiness to my eyes. In fact, there's a long, LONG list of political figures & celebrities that I would have loved to have seen fall victim to Kolchak's razor-tongue: Michael Moore, Ayn Rand, Mel Gibson (and his dad), Tom Cruise, Jessica Simpson, Arnold Schwarzenegger, L. Ron Hubbard (he's a flesh-eating ghoul resurrected by Scientologists in one episode of NIGHT STALKER), Chuck Heston, Puritans, rampant feminazis...

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:56 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
FRANK (CHURCH):

You read too fast, kiddo. It didn't say Octavia worked on "Star Trek," it said ELLISON worked on "Star Trek."

-he

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:28 pm

Name: Frank Church
I beg your humble forgiveness, Harlan.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”