Pavilion Digest: February 2006

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:02 pm

Name: Rob
Source: unca20060316.htm
My condolances to Octavia Butler.

Indeed, this last week seemed like the Black Plague: I totally adored Don Knotts; I hated seeing Darren McGavin's passing (a terrific talent); and I'll always love Dennis Weaver, man.

....and in spite of what Mark said, DUEL was EASILY one of Spielberg's best. It is the tv movie that REALLY gave him his launching pad to feature films (thanks to having a writer around at the time like Richard Matheson); the tour-de-force of camera tricks that made best use of talent he rarely demonstrates now.

And no one will forget Dennis Weaver either, because he was as integral to the impact of that little gem of a film as the aforementioned. I also dug him as a spokesman in behalf of environmental issues.

Uhhhhh, boy. Yeah. RIP. (A drag this wasn't a more upbeat lunch break)

Steve Evil

Axe and Smash

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:45 pm

Name: Steve Evil
Duanne & Horatio,

Demon Gene likes to take credit for things. In the eighties he sued Danish Metaler King Diamond for daring to wear make-up on stage. Alice Cooper should have sued him. And he in turn should have been sued by practitioners of Comedia Dell Arte who just ripped it off from tribal chieftans from the dawn of time.

Rest In Peace Ms. Bulter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Name: Frank Church
Octavia Butler brought race and politics out of the shadows, with her stunning writing. It is a great loss to see such a talent go so soon. High blood pressure and heart disease is one of the sins of our fast food culture, especially the one-sided way that it seems to infect African Americans. May she rest in peace at the pleasant side of the shiny star.

------------

Yep, Duel is one of Spielberg's best films. It uses simple horror, but makes it fast paced and stunning. I like the way that the truck becomes a monster, going beyond some dumb chase film.

Dennis Weaver was a great lefty activist, as well; not like anyone here cares. He will be missed, by the people who follow radical politics, and he was just a kind and gentle soul.

Adam-Troy

Don Knotts and Dennis Weaver

Postby Adam-Troy » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:09 pm

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
My lovely wife, on the deaths of these two: "It's been a bad week for deputies."

Roger Gjovig

Postby Roger Gjovig » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:40 pm

Name: Roger Gjovig
They still had rooms available when i called a couple of weeks ago. The phone # for the Sheraton Bloomington is 952 835 7800. There are two more names to add to the list of those who passed away in the last few days. Billy Cowsill died over the weekend after struggling with health problems the past few years. The other would be Anthony Berger, an incredible pianist, who had a massive heart attack while at the piano playing during a concert and died backstage.
I ordered a copy of the book Adam-Troy Castro mentioned with Vossof and Nimitz as the title characters. It's available at amazon if you enter the authors name to search for it.
Roger

cljohnston108

Dark Days

Postby cljohnston108 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:02 pm

Name: Chris Johnston
I will treasure the memory of seeing Octavia Butler speak at LA Central Library a few months ago.
I brought my stepmother, who had never heard of her.
I had heard of her, but never read her work.
We were both floored by not only Ms. Butler, but mainly the unmistakeable love and admiration radiated by the rest of the audience, and I could hear my stepmother proudly chatting up the experience from the other end of the Thanksgiving dinner table at Huck & Carol Barkin's, while I was going on about "Babylon 5" at my end (Huck had recently bought one o' them billiard-table-sized plasma TVs, which I *dream* of watching B5 DVDs on!).

Coming up on the end of Black History Month, and we've lost Octavia Estelle Butler.
We lost Coretta Scott King at the end of January, and we lost Rosa Parks at the end of October.

We've lost Don Knotts, Darren McGavin & Dennis Weaver in as many days.

We lost Andreas Katsulas the day before Valentine's Day (and the LA Times, NY Times and CNN *still* haven't reported it).

Judge Judy was given a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame ON Valentine's Day.

Dark days indeed.

Site Admin

Postscript

Postby Moderator » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:28 pm

Name: Steve Barber
"Funerals are the way the living
Inscribe the memories of the dead
Into stone"

Harlan, Susan. Represent us well, and remember we stand beside and behind you in your hour(s) of pain.

Your friends. All of us gathered, here.

Steven Dooner

Postby Steven Dooner » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:48 pm

Name: Steve Dooner
Harlan, I'm so sorry. This news is devastating.

Dave Clarke

Postby Dave Clarke » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:00 pm

Name: Dave Clarke
My sympathy to the family, friends, and fans of Octavia, Dennis, Don, and Darren. All were terrific talents. "Kindred" was my favorite Octavia Butler novel. I loved Dennis Weaver in "Duel," a movie I've seen about a dozen times. The movie was weird and suspenseful and incredibly well done. Don Knotts was funny in "Threes Company," though I must confess I was mostly looking at SS. And I'll never forget Darren McGavin in "The Night Stalker" and Jean Shepherd's "Christmas Story."

A very bad week indeed.

stefanhall

Postby stefanhall » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:15 pm

Name: Stefan Hall
Robert, thanks for posting the link to The Seattle Times obit on Octavia Butler. The comment that brought a tear to my eye was Harlan remarking that Ms. Butler "would cover her mouth when she laughed because she was embarrassed by her crooked teeth." I noticed this about her after meeting her at the 21st International Conference on the Fantastic in the Arts where she was the Guest of Honor for the year. I remember walking into the opening conference reception with one of my best friends and remarking, "I hope we'll be able to spot Octavia Butler," and at this point realizing that this very tall African-American woman standing by herself sort of off by a wall was none other than Ms. Butler. I couldn't believe that no one was talking to her! I quickly strode up to her to shake her hand, and I just couldn't get over how tall she was! And what a firm handshake! And what a grand voice! Now, I come from a long line of tall, very vocal people with big, broad hands and what thespians like to call presence, and here was this woman knocking my socks off with just her physical being, and I hadn't even factored in all of her mental prowess. We had a very thoughtful chat about her writing, and by then more people had shown up and wanted to talk with Ms. Butler, so I thanked her for chatting and moved away. Two days later, during the guest scholar luncheon, who should come to our table and join my group of friends but Ms. Butler! She remembered me earlier and deemed me a familiar enough face in a room full of jostling academic types and other writers. At this point, I told her the story about how I switched into English as a major after three semesters in Biochemistry and because I was a bit behind I was slogging through all the sophomore level survey courses. One of these was Intro to Fantasy and Science Fiction, and the professor had us read Adulthood Rites, which is the middle book of her Xenogenesis trilogy. What a sneaky thing to foist upon us! It blew my mind and I had to go out and the other books in short order. Well, during my, shall I say, raving about the blowing of my mind, I set my tablemates (who had been listening) laughing, including the delightful Ms. Butler, who covered up her mouth as she joined in with the rest of the table. She had an incredible voice not only for reading but also just for speaking; when she talked, you really wanted to pay attention. There are a few writers whose work I deeply enjoy and who I feel very fortunate to have heard read their own words in person. Harlan Ellison is one, Neil Gaiman is another, and definitely Octavia Butler. Ars longa vita brevis.

tardis59

Postby tardis59 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:07 pm

Name: David Ray
Very sad these last few days with the loss of Don Knotts, Darren McGavin, Octavia Butler and now Dennis Weaver....

David

Rebecca

Octavia Butler

Postby Rebecca » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:37 pm

Name: Rebecca
I was so surprised to hear of her death this morning. I read everything this woman wrote. She was not more than three years my senior. She was also a neighbor (from the state next door). I will surely miss looking for new books from her pen.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:47 pm

Name: Chuck Messer
Just wanted to give my condolences for Octavia Butler. We should all make of our mayfly existence what she made of hers.

Chuck

Robert Morales

Quote of the Day - 23 September 1867

Postby Robert Morales » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:28 am

Name: Robert Morales
From a letter by Charles Dickens to Wilkie Collins, planning their collaborative story, "The Thoroughfare":

I have a general idea which I hope will supply the kind of interest we want. Let us arrange to culminate in a wintry flight and pursuit across the Alps, under lonely circumstances, and against warnings. Let us get into all the horrors and dangers of such an adventure under the most terrific circumstances, either escaping from or trying to overtake (the latter, the latter I think) someone, on escaping from or overtaking whom the love, prosperity, and Nemesis of the story depend. There we can get Ghostly interest, picturesque interest, breathless interest of time and circumstance, and force the design up to any powerful climax we please. If you will keep this in your mind as I will in mine, urging the story towards it as we go along, we shall get a very Avalanche of power out of it, and thunder it down on the readers' heads.

Charlie

Postby Charlie » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:48 am

Name: Charlie
Harlan, My sincere condolences for the loss of your friend, Octavia.

Also, when I asked you whether you thought it might be feasible to post your publishing contract as a guide for others on this site, I did so from a mistaken vantage point. At that moment, I thought the posting would help the tiny community on the Pavilion. Then, someone mentioned why would you give away a writing. My antennae went up. Harlan, I don't know if you've given any more thought about it, but I would respectfully request you NOT post the contract on this site for a number of reasons. A couple of which are...Millions who use the internet could access it; if someone were to use your contract verbatim and they ended up in litigation over the terms in your contract, you could potentially be dragged into the litigation; and, you certainly don't want someone accusing you of practicing law without a license or some bullshit as such (I speak with some authority on this issue having sat as chairperson of the committee on the unlicensed practice of law for the Bar where I've judged similar cases). I'm just trying to watch your back and not wanting to see any harm come to you when you were trying to do a bit of largesse. I'm sorry for even asking and I apologize. My best, Charlie

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”