Pavilion Digest: February 2006

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Steve Pyskoty-Olle

Postby Steve Pyskoty-Olle » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:51 pm

Name: Steve Pyskoty-Olle
Source: unca20060316.htm
How very, very sad to hear about Octavia Butler.

Thank you, Harlan, for recommending her years ago, which prompted me to first read her work.

She had so much more brilliance to drop on us. A sad day, indeed.

Bud Webster

Not in the Nebs

Postby Bud Webster » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Name: Bud Webster
Kristin:

Go to FictionWise.com and set up an account (it's free). Once that's done, plug the story title - "Christus Destitutus" - into the search engine, and "buy" it. Don't worry; it's free, too.

Harlan:

Nothing I can say can compensate you for the loss of not only a friend, but someone you mentored. She was a fine writer, and a good person.

I want to thank you, too, for your extraordinary offer to help place "Christus" on the ballot. I was disappointed that it didn't short-list, but frankly, if Mike Bishop, Jack McDevitt, Barry Malzberg, Will Sanders, Jerry Pournelle and you think it's worthy of voting for, that's all I need. All else is tchotchke.

As for next year, well, it just so happens that some time in the next week or so FictionWise will offer "Frog Level (is Not Congruent to) Frog Level," another of my hobo yarns that features not only a birthday present from aliens and a freight train to Anywhere, but Joshua Abraham Norton II, Emperor of America and Protector of Mexico. It was originally published in Interzone a couple of years back, but the FictionWise appearance constitutes its first US publication.

And we all know what THAT means.

remarck

Ms. Butler

Postby remarck » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:27 am

Name: Keith Cramer
Octavia Butler gone. Harlan, Susan, anyone else who knew her: I'm very sorry for your loss.

Several months ago I went on a binge and bought 4 books of hers with the intention of familiarizing myself with her work, because I wanted to branch out and stop reading the same old same old.

I haven't started them.

-Keith

Jason Michelitch

Condolences

Postby Jason Michelitch » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:39 am

Name: Jason Michelitch
Harlan: condolences on the loss of your friend.

Robert Morales

Postby Robert Morales » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:07 am

Name: Robert Morales
I'd only a single meeting and subsequent conversation with Octavia Butler, some years ago, but I wept at her passing. She was such a nice person, and such a ballsy writer.

Ray Carlson

Unca Harlan,

Postby Ray Carlson » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:34 am

Name: Ray Carlson
My heartfelt condolences on Ms. Butler's passing.

Robert Morales

Postby Robert Morales » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:52 am

Name: Robert Morales
Octavia's obit from the Seattle Times, with commentary by Harlan:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/o ... it27m.html

rich

Postby rich » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:30 am

Name: rich
It's not the end of the world, but it's getting pretty damn close:

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/ ... 4913c.html

I'd like to think that it's really about diminishing the power of that particular word, and that it really is not just about money...but I doubt it.

Yet another reason why I've never really been a big fan of Damon Wayans.

Eric Martin
Banned

Postby Eric Martin » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:49 am

Name: Eric Martin
I wonder if I can copyright "whitey." Seems more courant than honkey, and I can always use another revenue stream.

Good for Stanley Crouch. Black entertainment culture has become pretty dim, and rap, like wrestling, never did go away...makes one pine for the days of Sherman Hemsley.

Mark Goldberg

Dennis Weaver has passed away

Postby Mark Goldberg » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:13 am

Name: Mark Goldberg
Been a rough couple of days with Octavia Butler, Darren McGavin, and now Dennis Weaver passing away.

Weaver was the star of the movie "Duel", which may not have been Spielberg's best but was still a fun film, and starred in the television shows Gunsmoke and McCloud. He also served as President of the Screen Actor's Guild from 1973-1975. More information can be found at:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/02/2 ... index.html

It has been far too long since I re-read Xenogenesis by Octavia Butler, I will start that one again once I finish Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell later this week

Duane

... and Al Gore invented the internet, too.

Postby Duane » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:23 am

Name: Duane
Gene Simmons once tried to copyright the word "Axe" as a term for the guitar. He claimed he invented the term and was responsible for its widespread use throughout the Rock community.

Don't worry; Wayans won't see a dime until Simmons gets his.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:19 am

Name: Ezra
What a shock about Octavia Butler. Just this past summer I attended a panel forum here at the Smithsonian where she and Samuel Delany read and discussed their work.

Never mind the books that won't be written, what hurts is the loss of such a luminous personality.

BrianSiano

Postby BrianSiano » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:35 am

Name: Brian Siano
Losing Octavia Butler is... well, I'd say that words fail me. But writers of her skill and caliber remind us that, more often, it's the rest of us who fail the words. The right words, chosen well, arranged with skill, can create mountains and cause forests to blossom... and we've lost one of the few who could do that.

Horatio "Mondo" Cane

Duane, put down the crack pipe

Postby Horatio "Mondo" Cane » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:39 pm

Name: Horatio "Mondo" Cane
Please check out this link:http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp, and also the Gene Simmons "fact" is also false. Axe was commonly used in slang back when Gene was still in Israel. For someone steeped in rock/pop culture lore, GS has never made such a claim. Cute story-what's next Richard Gere + the gerbil?

Chris M. Barkley

Octavia Butler 1947-2006

Postby Chris M. Barkley » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:48 pm

Name: Chris M. Barkley
I was visiting Mike Resnick when he dropped the news about the passing of Octavia Butler...needless to say I'm still in shock...

On my wasy home I tuned into NPR's Talk of the Nation; they aired part of a 2000 interview with her and Greg Bear gave a touching remeberence of her and her works. I had the pleasuse of meeting her twice in the 80's and found her to be a most gracious and friendly woman.

This tragedy is a terrible loss for us and for literature. My condolances to Harlan, Susan and all her friends and aquaintences.

cmb

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”