Pavilion Digest: February 2006

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Neal Johnson

sigh

Postby Neal Johnson » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:24 am

Name: Neal Johnson
Source: unca20060316.htm
Darren McGavin is gone, alas.

Neal

Adam-Troy

And it continues

Postby Adam-Troy » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:40 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
So's Octavia Butler. Damn it.

Curious

Octavia Butler

Postby Curious » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:12 am

Name: Curious
ATCastro: You _sure_ about that? Looked around for some story or announcement just now and couldn't find a thing.

Edward Champion

Octavia Butler

Postby Edward Champion » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:00 am

Name: Edward Champion
I confirmed it with the King County Medical Examiner's Office. She's dead. Fuck.

Jim Davis

Octavia Butler

Postby Jim Davis » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:09 am

Name: Jim Davis
Author Steven Barnes has a blog entry on Butler's passing (http://darkush.blogspot.com/2006/02/oct ... urday.html). If this is true, then it's a major loss and a goddamned shame. My sympathies to everyone who knew her, including Harlan.

Colleen

Postby Colleen » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:25 pm

Name: Colleen
A damn shame about Octavia Butler. She was a wonderful writer and a magnificent person. Harlan , my condolences to you and to everyone else who knew the lovely lady.
Colleen

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

A REPLY and SOME SIMPLY AWFUL AWFUL NEWS

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:47 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
JOSH HADLEY:

Gee whiz, Josh, ain't it AMAZING that none of US thought to offer the series to cable.

(It never ceases to astonish me how ill-informed, how sans commonsense and/or logic, how jejeune are some of you folks, a generation surfeited with this "unlimited access to all the information in the known universe.")

Have a nice day, Josh.

I WON'T be having such a nice day because . . .

----------------------------------------------------------------

OCTAVIA ESTELLE BUTLER (1947-2006) died yesterday.

She was my friend, she was my student, she was a startlingly good and important writer, she was my protege, she was--again--my friend; and today she is lying in the morgue up in Seattle.

A winner of the million-dollar McArthur "Genius" grant, she was a novelist of coruscating individuality.

From what can be gathered at this early moment, something close to the following happened, some time yesterday:

Octavia E. (whom I knew, when we first met in the mid-'70s, as "Estelle" because her mother was Octavia M.) went out of her house, to get the mail, or the newspaper, or to water the lawn, or for some other mundane reason, had a stroke, fell in the street or on the sidewalk, or wherever, right in front of the house, and lay there...until she was (I'm told) discovered by a neighborhood lad, possibly a newsboy, who either ran home and had his parents call 911, or he did it himself, on the spot. The paramedics were called, got there very quickly but--and it's uncertain which--Octavia Estelle was either dead already, or expired on her way to the hospital.

More than that I do not know.

But THIS at least IS known to me: here was a remarkable, courageous, gracious, brilliant and extraordinarily talented woman whose like was seldom seen before her hard-won success, and whose like may be long in coming again. But sooner than would have been the case, had my Estelle not been here first.

Her dreams will be the sweetest.

-he

Andrew Laubacher

more deaths dammit!

Postby Andrew Laubacher » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:41 pm

Name: Andrew Laubacher
Don Knotts, Darren McGavin, and now Octavia E. Butler. This is shaping up to be one hell of a lousy week-end.

I'm wondering if the notice of Darren McGavin's death in our local paper (the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle) screwed up on a credit. Was there a Mike Hammer television series made in the 1950s or '60s? The article said that he'd starred in one, but I know that it wasn't the '80s series.

James

I can't believe it...

Postby James » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:50 pm

Name: James Palmer
This was posted on boing boing about Octavia E. Butler:

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/02/26/ri ... ler_g.html

Damn.

Site Admin

Harlan

Postby Moderator » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:53 pm

Name: Steve Barber
Cris and I offer our deepest condolences.

lynn

Postby lynn » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:22 pm

Name: Lynn
Offering deepest condolences.
L.

captphil

Octavia Butler

Postby captphil » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:45 pm

Name: Phil Merkel
Such sad news about Octavia Butler. Besides hearing about her through Harlan when he talked about the writing of Mefisto in Onyx at the San Francisco Worldcon she was guest at several local Science Fiction conventions. ICON (Stony Brook NY) Lunacon (Tarrytown) and Readercon (Westboro or Burlington Mass, I can't remember if she was guest after they moved)

At ICON and Lunacon I saw what a gracious and sweet woman she was, but at Readercon there was the opportunity to discuss her work and really listen to her. She spoke about winning the MacArthur grant and I really began to see her journey as a writer. It was wonderful to have met her and it's terrible to lose her.

KristinRuhle

Octavia Butler - OMG!!

Postby KristinRuhle » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:39 pm

Name: Kristin A Ruhle
This is so shocking! We've been hearing a lot here about people who died old (if you live long enough, you end up watching all your old pals die around you...sigh) but she was so young! I have the 2000x CD set with the radio adaptation (hosted by Harlan) of the short story "Bloodchild," a real classic. My condolences to Harlan and to Ms Butler's friends and family.

Bud: Better luck next time...um, where can I get the story?

BTW anyone from minneapolis: is the con hotel sold out do you know?

Kristin

JosephFinn

Postby JosephFinn » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:23 pm

Name: Joseph J. Finn
Just awful to hear about Octavia Butler. I just read Kindred last week for the first time, and now I'm a little annoyed at myself for not having started on her work earlier.

Alex Jay Berman

Postby Alex Jay Berman » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:52 pm

Name: Alex Jay Berman
CONDOLESCENT NOTES:
Both my first shocked questioning reaction and my immediate vehement reaction, upon reading the news of Ms. Butler's passing (on Peter David's web log), are of course unprintable. In part because she herself--in her books and in her interviews--was so very printable, and in part because she was so very classy. Also in part because she was so very YOUNG. Hell; she's the same age as the uncle I'll be visiting in DC this week as I go to my union's legislative conference to harangue some congressfolk.
And, too, she never seemed to grow old, even as grey peppered her hair; she seemed as ageless as the immortal characters about whom she often wrote.

And DAMN, but she was one hell of a writer. I just finished a book of hers I got out of the library (which of course prompted my customary bitching at the head librarian about the fact that her books are shelved ONLY in the African-American Fiction section [same with Tananarive Due, and Nalo Hopkinson--interestingly, they never pigeonhole Steve Barnes or Chip Delaney there, though Walter Mosley is shelved there as well as in the Mystery and Literature sections]--as if she hadn't done so very much to no longer be seen as she was by many when she first blazed onto the page: As THE Black Woman f/sf author). It was of course brilliant. Burned brightest, and all too briefly.

Dammit dammit dammit.

Harlan, I of course offer my condolences on the loss of another friend; another student--but also, I offer you this:

Though it often seems of late that you walk gingerly through a Cemetery of the Beloved, and the darkness of despair may sometimes bring its oppressive walls crushing down, please take a moment instead to think on the gift of these departed friends. Think how much poorer your life, and how much less swelled, your heart would be if never you had known them.

It does hurt, I know--but please reflect on all the myriad happinesses and joys the mere existence of people such as Octavia Butler in your world, even for too damned short a time, has brought you. Revel, even as your eyes mist, in the lives they DID have, the work they DID do, the kindneses and smiles and laughter you DID have with them.

DC-AREA ELLISONIANS: Sorry, folks; it appears that I will be nothing so much as the No Time! No Time! White Rabbit on this little jaunt. Believe me, I am sadder for not being able to free myself and see you than you are to mis me.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”