Pavilion Digest: February 2006

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Eric Martin
Banned

Postby Eric Martin » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:45 pm

Name: Eric Martin
Source: unca20060316.htm
>The students arent reading the pages (or finding ways around it) so it must be the parents and the students fault.<

That sounds pretty on the mark to me. I don't know what you expect...if you don't change your oil regularly, is it your mechanic's fault? If you don't pay your bills on time, is that your bank's fault?

Blaming teachers is an old dodge. If anything, teachers coddle and carry students a lot more now then they ever did in your good old days of book reports.

If you think something is wrong with the curriculum, then lobby your Board of Education to change it.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:15 pm

Name: Rob
My needs on the other board are not being tended...PLEASE...

...WHO would like to BATHE me? Don't be shy...reach under, and FAR below. I mean to do it all MYSELF...how TRYING life can be.

Site Admin

Rob

Postby Moderator » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:19 pm

Name: Steve Barber
Sorry, I've been sleeping at work again. Gotta run to an appointment and will draw the water upon my return.

SB

Earl Wells

Postby Earl Wells » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:32 pm

Name: Earl Wells
Leiber's KESSERICH is a good read -- sort of a Lovecraftian mystery. But it's from early in his career, though unpublished for decades, and his work ranged far and climbed high from there.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

BARBER, GO GET YOUR WIFE, THIS IS FOR HER

Postby Harlan Ellison » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:44 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
CRIS:

It's about time I commented on the album. Sorry I didn't do it in timelier fashion, but perhaps in light of recent competitive events, well, mayhap this'll provide you a frisson of anti-angst
to get you through the day.

First of all, as you may have heard, I know my beans when talking about jazzmakers. Instrumental, vocal, choral, or anywhichway. I paid my dues and, as I've often said (and I said it to Diz), if I could find three OTHER black boys, us'ns could get up a fine doo-wop group. So. I am no moldy fig when it comes to appraising the chops. June Christy said so, Nina Simone said so, Helen Forrest said so, and Annie Ross said so.

So.

Only luhhhhh-ved the album.

(This does not mean I've forgiven your scapegrace husband, but...)

Though I righteously capered in the lee of your impeccable and original phrasing on "The Nearness of You," and thought Vail's tenor sax made a tasty duet with you, and haven't even by a nose enjoyed "Summer Samba" as much since Jobim-Getz, and utterly was wowed by "The Nearness of You" ... my absolute killer knockout #1 pash on this set is "Guess Who I Saw Today?" (with only one questionable bridge that bothered me) -- a song almost NOBODY, including Nancy Wilson, can sing well, so touchy and rigorous is it. I thought your take was sensational, particularly the final I SAW YOOOOOOOOO!

Well, when we get together, the three of us--me and Susan and you--and we go for Argentinian, I'll heap more praise, and suggest that since you got such a breeze up for bossa nova, that you find the one album--by which singer I cannot remember--on which there's a vocal version of "O Pato" (the duck), and add it to your portfolio. It is juicy, it is bouncy, and you and it would meld lovlily.

Otherwise, all best from me and The Electric Baby.

Yr. pal, Harlan

Cris Barber

Dear Harlan

Postby Cris Barber » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:09 pm

Name: Cris Barber
(I don't come here often but boy was this worth it!)

Thank you SO much for your incredible compliments... it means a lot coming from you. Steve had already mentioned to me that you really know your stuff and from the singers you mentioned, you must. I do have quite a love for bossa nova. O Pato... was the person you are thinking of Karrin Allyson perhaps? She does a great version of that tune.

I've heard such great things about you and Susan and I'm looking forward to the "three" of us going to dinner! Steve can handle parking (smile).

Thanks again for the kind words. You definitely made my day.
All the best to you and Susan.

Your fan,
Cris Barber

lonegungirl

A nice article.

Postby lonegungirl » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:00 pm

Name: lonegungirl
On the unfortunately-named scifi.com website, Michael Cassutt has written a charming article on his history with HE.

The address: http://www.scifi.com/sfw/column/sfw12234.html

Now excuse me, I have some sackcloth and ashes to put on in lieu of Michelle Kwan's withdrawal from the olympics...snif...

Brent

Postby Brent » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:58 am

Name: Brent
China Forbes from Pink Martini has a charming O Pato (the Duck) vocal version.

-B

Site Admin

Cookie, Dima

Postby Moderator » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:43 am

Name: Steve Barber
(I may need a place to stay...!!!)

Harlan + Cris + Susan???

!!!

I am so f***ed.

(Seriously, Harlan that was very kind of you to send that note to Cris. It more than made her day. She was smiling all evening, and that alone was a wonderful thing. Thank you.)

(And I promise that those dings in the car were there when you gave me the keys.)

James

Congrats on the Grandmaster, Harlan

Postby James » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:15 am

Name: James Palmer
lonegungirl already mentioned Cassutt's heartfelt article, but I just wanted to wish Harlan congratulations on the Grandmaster Nebula. You deserve fifty of them.

Cheers,

James

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:42 pm

Name: Frank Church
We should all start calling Dickie Cheney the Grandmaster of irony.

Duane

Oh, Come On!!

Postby Duane » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:21 pm

Name: Duane
The whole affair was obviously a little lawyer joke between two good friends. Why should we stick our buttinsky noses into the middle of it?

Roger Gjovig

Postby Roger Gjovig » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:34 pm

Name: Roger Gjovig
Harlan thanks for the kind comment and info about Dream Corridor. It was a tough decision to make, but after meeting both of you on numerous occasions, and always traveling a good distance when I did,it was extremely difficult when you were only five hours away in Minnesota this time to pass up the opportunity to see you and Susan. I've got the arrangements covered for Good Friday evening and Easter Sunday services so I don't think I'll get a bolt of lightening thrown my way for coming up. Thanks for the continuing encouragement about the Gaiman story heading my way, I'm looking forward to it. I'm on jury duty for the fourth time in my life this week. I had a very long day Monday and did not get picked and go back early tomorrow morning and start the process all over again. If I'm not picked tomorrow i believe I'm all done this time around. This is my fourth tour of duty and I've actually been picked seven times to sit on the jury during the years I've been called. Bye for now. Roger

Roger Gjovig

Postby Roger Gjovig » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:37 pm

Name: Roger Gjovig
That would be the collaboration on a story between Harlan and Neil Gaiman, I believe they started it at a convention up in Wisconsin a number of years ago.

BrianSiano

Sad news

Postby BrianSiano » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:44 pm

Name: Brian Siano
Just learned that Andreas Katsulas, the actor who played G'kar on _Babylon 5_, just passed away. Lung cancer.

We've seen him in a lot of other places, but B5 really let him soar as an actor. There were three terrific delights there: Katsulas' voice, sort of a baritone version of John Gielgud's; watching G'Kar change from a scheming fiend into a religious leader; and watching G'Kar and Peter Jurasik's Londo have at each other.

I have Bunuel's _The Phantom of Liberty_ on right now, but all I can think of is that wonderful scene with G'Kar and Londo in the crashed elevator.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”