Pavilion Digest: February 2006

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: February 2006

Postby admin » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:54 am

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of February 2006.

rich

Postby rich » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:54 am

Name: rich
Source: unca20060316.htm
I'm posting this 'cause I know HE likes quotes, and I think this one is one he can use in one of his next books.

Or not.

Either way, you gotta love Media Day for the Super Bowl.

Hines Ward: "Winning the Super Bowl would help me get solidified."

I mean, that would be true, right? Is Ward intangible at the moment? Possibly. Here's wishing him luck that he eschews his being liquid or gas, and becomes the solid he truly wants to be.

Jan

Postby Jan » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:04 am

Name: Jan
The best cover design to me (and I haven't seen everything) is on Berkeley's SHATTERDAY paperback. It's *dramatic*. The painting is by Walter Velez. Nothing beats that, right?

Duane

Postby Duane » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:05 am

Name: Duane
Just wondering if James Frey's Oprah-bashed "memoir" could be considered the first work of a brand new genre: Wish Fulfillment.

Where would one stock such books? In between biography and fiction, perhaps?

Charlie

Postby Charlie » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:38 am

Name: Charlie
Duane: The category already exists: Creative Non-Fiction.

R.Wilder

Postby R.Wilder » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:09 am

Name: R.Wilder
I love my editions of "Angry Candy,""Slippage" and "Mephisto in Onyx." Mr.Ellison could have a fruitful second career in graphic design. "SOONER RATHER THAN LATER" and "SOONER THAN YOU THINK..." oh, be still, my beating (bookworm) heart!

Jim Reichert

Inquiring minds want to know!

Postby Jim Reichert » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:29 pm

Name: Jim Reichert
Dear Harlan,

In my wanderings on the Web, I came upon an audio file last year recording a web radio interview you gave to the Comic Zone in May, 2001. I listened to it several weeks ago and found it quite entertaining. At one point, you relate a story from your youth where you confront the son of a Mafia boss and several of his goons on the stairway leading to your home in the Banyan tree wearing nothing but a towel wrapped around your middle, with a single shot gun and extra cartridges tucked around the edge of the towel. And I cant stop wondering how the hell you managed to keep the towel from falling down! That actually might have been a tactical advantage if things had gotten really ugly (Mob boss says to the goons, Run! Its a naked crazy guy with a gun!). With all this true? Did you simply edit out the part where the towel dropped?

Jim Reichert

BrianSiano

Postby BrianSiano » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:52 pm

Name: Brian Siano
_Salon_ has a fine review of the final volume of Taylor Branch's biography of Martin Luther King, _At Canaan's Edge_. I've got the book on order, but in the meantime, read the _Salon_ review.

The first 200 pages of Branch's book is devoted to the March on Selma. Here's a relevant passage from the _Salon_ review, so's we all get an idea of what Forty Years Ago was like:

"The first attempt at a march, on Sunday, March 7, 1965, resulted in the notorious scenes of Gov. George Wallace's Alabama state troopers and reserves on horseback ramming through marchers as they attempted to cross the Edmund Pettus Bridge....A second attempt was made during which King turned back so as not to defy a court order barring the march. Hours later, the Rev. James Reeb, a Unitarian minister who had come from Boston to join the march, was clubbed outside a cafe and later died of his injuries. The third -- and finally successful -- march was begun on March 21. The marchers, their ranks victoriously swollen, reached Montgomery on March 24. That night, Viola Liuzzo, a white marcher from Detroit, was shot to death as she began the long drive home to Michigan. (It was later revealed that one of the passengers in the shooter's car, Gary Thomas Rowe, was an FBI informant who almost certainly had knowledge of what was going to happen.)"

Mark O.

Why I Can't Get Excited About the Frey Thing

Postby Mark O. » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:26 pm

Name: Mark O.
Okay. So. James Frey wrote a book about addiction and recovery, because it was a subject that he knew about first hand. Shopped it around as a novel, but didnt get a great deal of interest in it. Took it back, made it into a memoir, punched things up a little, fudged the timeline, turned up the drama. Sold it to Random House, who drove it onto the bestseller lists. Then Oprah Winfrey selected it for her book club, which added a little round sticker for the front cover. Huge sales, huge.

But as it turns out, theres a little problem with the book. Things may not have gone down exactly as recounted. The author may have played fast and loose with some content, while presenting the book as a true story.

So freakin what? Everybody, and I mean everybody, embellishes his or her personal narrative. To get a job, to get laid, to make themselves more interesting, to impress their seatmate on a long flight. Everyone, including you and me, has at one time or another piled on the bologna, even if it was just to make a good story out of a mundane experience. Pick any autobiography off the shelf at Borders, and you are bound to find inaccuracies, inconsistencies, shadings of truth and outright lies. Thats what Frey did, and he was by no means the first, and he wont be the last, and it was a helluva read if not an entirely accurate one. Now, lawsuits. Why all this storm and strife?

Because he made a fool out of Oprah. And thats what this is really all about.

Oprah was embarrassed! Oprah was deceived! Oprah trusted him! Oprah lost face! Oprah had the wool pulled over her eyes! The integrity of Oprahs Book Club is in question! Oprah, the self-appointed arbiter of literary worthiness! Oprah, who one does not fuck with! My God! Jesus!

Look, Janet Maslin questioned this books veracity as early as April 2003, and people still ran it up the NYT list, because there was something there that they either connected with or were entertained by. And they would have gone on being moved or entertained to no ill effect whatsoever had not Saint Oprahs imprimatur been called into question.

Anybody else feel that this incident been blown out of proportion due to this womans hyper-thyroid self-righteousness and indignation?

Mark
and Night aint looking too good in the swear-to-god-its-all-true-every-word-of-it department either.

Alan Coil

STAN

Postby Alan Coil » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:24 pm

Name: Alan Coil
The title of the Star Trek episode you mentioned is "Amok Time".

This tidbit of useless information is brought to you by Alan Coil, who suspects, indeedy-do, that he may be a vast

suppository

of useless information.

(What? That's not the right word? Blame Norm Crosby.)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:21 pm

Name: Frank Church
Hell, if I wrote speeches for Democrats, they would win every time: A chicken in every pot, an anarchist under every bush.

-------------

Google the will.am site, which is a radio archive of Media Matters, the illinois radio show, hosted by top media expert, Robert McChesney. Every fucking leftie in the world, the whole host of celebrity progressive talent has been a guest. Great listening for hours. Makes you wish mainstream media was this fair.

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:02 pm

Name: Ben Winfield
HERE'S something that should lighten up your day: The be-all end-all pop-culture bloodbath!

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~afive/st ... estiny.swf

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:21 am

Name: Ezra
Selling a novel as a memoir is dishonest. Just because Oprah is full of shit doesn't make what Frey did right. "Truth" as a concept is still meaningful however slippery.

S!

things HE is looking for

Postby S! » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:24 am

Name: S!
I am cleaning out the garage and attic this month and I have a LOT of old stuff my wife refers to as "crap" that she would just as soon see tossed in the the recycle bin. I spent several years overseas, mostly in Europe in the early 1980s, and have things in foreign languages by many authors.

So the big question is: if I find something in German or Italian that is on the "Harlan Needs" page, would HE be interested in it or should I consign it to the recycle bin?

Frankly, it looks like I will take over a month to get this done as the tax man has cometh and that particular work of art is the more pressing need.

S!

p.s. note to Rick: I am asking because so many of the pages on this site are out of date regarding news and other things. I understand you probably have other things to do, this is not a personal dig at you. As a certified and accredited professional for over 20 years in the computer field, I know how frustrating keeping these things up can be.

S!

addendum

Postby S! » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:26 am

Name: S!
(please forgive the double post)

Those things which are still readable will get donated to the local schools and libraries as they are WAY too heavy to ship.

S!

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”