Pavilion Digest: August 2005

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: August 2005

Postby admin » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:03 am

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of August 2005.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:03 am

Name: Ezra
Source: unca20050815.htm
It is a certain hour of twilight glooms,
Mostly in autumn, when the star-wind pours
Down hilltop streets, deserted out-of-doors,
But shewing early lamplight from snug rooms.
The dead leaves rush in strange, fantastic twists,
And chimney-smoke whirls round with alien grace,
Heeding geometries of outer space,
While Fomalhaut peers in through southward mists.

This is the hour when moonstruck poets know
What fungi sprout in Yuggoth, and what scents
And tints of flowers fill Nithon's continents,
Such as in no poor earthly garden blow.
Yet for each dream these winds to us convey,
A dozen more of ours they sweep away!
--HPL

Here's a picture of the mysterious new body

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap050731.html

that has just been discovered at the outer reaches of our solar system--yeah right! How naive do these liberal scientists think we are? All this was foreseen long ago by the prophets of old, filled with the spirit of the Lord!

Do you think all this violent weather is mere coincidence? Tsunami, hurricanes, frogs falling from the sky...and now a mysterious new body suddenly "appears" at the edge of the known solar system.

Planet? Ice world?

"Then, whispered Castro, those first men formed the cult around tall idols which the Great Ones shewed them; idols brought in dim eras from dark stars. That cult would never die till the stars came right again, and the secret priests would take great Cthulhu from His tomb to revive His subjects and resume His rule of earth. The time would be easy to know, for then mankind would have become as the Great Old Ones; free and wild and beyond good and evil, with laws and morals thrown aside and all men shouting and killing and revelling in joy. Then the liberated Old Ones would teach them new ways to shout and kill and revel and enjoy themselves, and all the earth would flame with a holocaust of ecstasy and freedom."
--HPL

Repent? Much too late for that...

Mike Lane

Solar flares

Postby Mike Lane » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:12 am

Name: Mike Lane
For Stan

Take a look at spaceweather.com. Another NASA site with forecasts of solar flares, meteor showers, near earth asteroids etc. Apparently there was an X-class flare yesterday that
will spew some coronal material into our atmosphere. Since you're in oregon you might see an aurora as a result but the chances seem slim for this particular flare because it wasn't pointed directly at Earth when it occurred. Chances could increase for a light show if the flare keeps up long enough for it to rotate around in our direction.

Jay Smith

Yes excitement is the word for it. And I think it is, in no small part, because of guys like Harlan, Asimov, Poul and all the other science fiction writers that we feel all this excitement about discovery of new worlds beyond our own. And that's why I'm always lurking about this board.

Susan Ellison

Postby Susan Ellison » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:47 am

Name: SUSAN ELLISON
DOUGLAS--YOU'RE Confirmed.

TODD--Glad you enjoyed Diana's essay.

RYAN--We do not have an extra dust jacket. We do have one copy of THE ESSENTIAL ELLISON--35th (Morpheus). If you wish to purchase the book--the price is $40.89 (includes shipping and tax). My other suggestion is to write to the Publisher, they may have an extra dust jacket. Morpheus International: 125 E. Reno Ave., #17, Las Vegas, NV 89119.

All best--Susan

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:17 am

Name: Frank Church
Harlan, to be fair to your lovely, vivacious wife, you misspelled George Santayana's name the other day, calling him 'Santana.'

Maybe you were listening to Black Magic Woman at the time. We know you have this fetish for the brown sugar.

Don't squish me, I only come in love.

--------------------

Pluto is an ice carving, made by a chainsaw, manned by God. Shhhh, don't tell anyone.

Praise Jesus.

Stan

FOR JAY SMITH

Postby Stan » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:00 am

Name: Stan
Thanks for the information Jay...I live in area where the city lights might interfere with seeing the Aurora...but I will give it a try anyway.

Do you know that NASA is sending the Discovery back home during the Perseid Meteor Shower? Some are predicting disaster if they come home at that time.

Hey Harlan! That would make a dandy "what if..." story providing either of us has the time left to do it! Hmmm. A solar flare frying the Earth like a thick steak on a barberque pit.

STAN

JaySmith

Postby JaySmith » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:02 am

Name: Jay Smith
Stan,

That was Mike.

Neal Johnson

SUSAN and RYAN

Postby Neal Johnson » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:16 pm

Name: Neal Johnson
Lady Susan,

I you could hold that copy of the ESSENTIAL ELLISON for me, I will gladly let RYAN have my dj.

I need to wait two weeks until payday. Just got a new job. Is that ok?

RYAN, stand down a minute.

Regards,
Rick

Neal Johnson

SUSAN and RYAN

Postby Neal Johnson » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:20 pm

Name: Neal Johnson
Lady Susan,

I you could hold that copy of the ESSENTIAL ELLISON for me, I will gladly let RYAN have my dj.

I need to wait two weeks until payday. Just got a new job. Is that ok?

RYAN, stand down a minute.

Regards,
Rick

Neal

sorry

Postby Neal » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:08 pm

Name: Neal
double posts

Rick, it's the fault of the stupid library computer, and i'm sorry.

pls don't hold it against

Neal

Stan

TO MIKE LANE

Postby Stan » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:28 pm

Name: Stan
Thanks Jay for the correction. I read it wrong.

TO MIKE LANE

Thanks for the info Mike I will try and see the Aurora caused by the X factor Solar flare. We got cloud cover here now, but they (those never-wrong weather people at our local glass teat
stations) say we will have hot and clear weather by Wednesday.

I apologize for mistaking your message as from Jay...but hey...I make misteaks (ur...mistakes) all the time!

STAN

Clifford Meth

Postby Clifford Meth » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:11 pm

Name: Clifford Meth
Harlan,

FYI, you're front page at SilverBulletComicBooks right now:
http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/masters/
(but if you wait too long, it'll scroll off).

Note that this column was filed before our little chat this afternoon (hence the no-quote from Mr. Ellison).

On a softer note, Chantzie didn't like your description of baby induction. I told her that Russian Jews have a sense of humor undetectable by Rumanian Jews.

KristinRuhle

Postby KristinRuhle » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:27 pm

Name: Kristin Ruhl
Susan, I just put my cheque for my Confirmed in the mail!!!!!

(ROFL not serious there)

My father has been watching too much British television - he's taken to calling his cell phone a mobile, (like there's mo-bile in yo liver)..Actually "mobile phone" is miles better than the idiotic term "wireless phone" used by US service providers. A wireless is an old radio, dammit!

I wonder how many people here are going to Foolscap? I don't think I can do it unless I can get into some kind of shared travel arrangement. (i'm in the bay area) also isn't membership limited? And for all i know the hotel is sold out by now.

(serious there)

Kristin

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

ADSVISEMENT TO NEAL JOHNSON & RYAN LEASHER

Postby Harlan Ellison » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:48 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Neal, Susan says she'll hold the book for your purchase. Now, if you buy it in the next two weeks, you can send your dj to Ryan and all will be happy. I ask that you two work it out with e.mails 'tween you, and then, Ryan, you can pop in here to let Susan know the dispensation in this (increasingly complex) bit'o'business. The ball, as Alice Marble used to say, it be in
your mixed-double court.

Yr. pal, Harlan

Rob Ewen

WRITTEN BY et al

Postby Rob Ewen » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:57 am

Name: Rob Ewen
Susan & Harlan - the WRITTEN BY arrived this morning - many thanks - much appreciated!

Barney - sorry to see you missed out on CHOCOLATE ALPHABET this week on eBaY...

Faisal - noticed your film SCRIBBLE is up for Best Newcomer Award at the Rushes Short Film Festival in London's Soho this week - best of luck...

And finally, to the Californian posse in general - has anybody out there been to see the new Sergio Leone exhibition at the Autry Museum yet? If so - any reports?

Thanks
Rob Ewen

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”