Pavilion Digest: May 2005

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: May 2005

Postby admin » Sun May 01, 2005 7:42 am

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of May 2005.

Dougie McIntosh

HEADS UP - Neil Gaiman and his speech he gave at the Nebul

Postby Dougie McIntosh » Sun May 01, 2005 7:42 am

Name: DOUGIE McINTOSH
Source: unca20050524.htm
As mentioned in the subject line, 'heads up' on Neil Gaiman and his speech he gave at the Nebula Awards.

http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/journal.asp

Yours,
Dougie.

rich

Postby rich » Sun May 01, 2005 10:07 am

Name: rich
Two things:

Steve: I apologize for my unnecessary and vulgar retort.

And if anyone out there hasn't seen KUNG FU HUSTLE yet, then what are you waiting for? Go. If you fail to have a good time watching this flick, I will personally refund your ticket price.

Seriously.

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon May 02, 2005 2:16 am

Name: Lee

Frank! Good to see you around.

David Loftus

1965 Nebulae

Postby David Loftus » Mon May 02, 2005 6:54 am

Name: David Loftus
Thanks, Dougie!

In the speech, Neil noted:

> And if you're wondering, the 1965 Nebula Winners were,
> Novel: Dune by Frank Herbert
> Novella: "He Who Shapes" by Roger Zelazny and "The Saliva Tree" by Brian Aldiss (tie)
> Novelette: "The Doors of His Face, the Lamps of His Mouth" by Roger Zelazny
> Short Story: "'Repent, Harlequin!' Said the Ticktockman" by Harlan Ellison
> ... it was a good year.

Way cool!

But who's that Ellison guy?

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Mon May 02, 2005 7:54 am

Name: FinderDoug
Harlan - A package is finally in the mail to you and Susan as of today. The USPS says it should be there Wednesday.

Of course, they didn't specify WHICH Wednesday...

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

COOKIE

Postby Harlan Ellison » Mon May 02, 2005 3:26 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Are you out there? Plz check in. I finally got around to listening to the CD. Wouldst comment. Smallishly.

Yr. pal, Harlan

Barney Dannelke

Piece of asbestos lodged in brainpan - small itch

Postby Barney Dannelke » Mon May 02, 2005 6:19 pm

Name: Barney Dannelke
***Harlan*** Doug and I were comparing who had which of your television shows on VHS. Man From U.N.C.L.E.'s, Flying Nun, etc. and I had mentioned RIPCORD [or Doug did] and I said WHIRLEYBIRDS. This didn't sound right to Doug - and to be fair, the last season of WHIRLEYBIRDS aired a year or more before you hit town. Now I know RIPCORD is the same people as did W-Birds, mostly, but I still have it stuck in my head that you had something to do with WHIRLEYBIRDS. Now I know I have this wonderful ability to get it 85% right - like my forgetting the 1st appearance of EIDOLONS was in that Aussie chapbook thingee, for which I blame the SLIPPAGE copyright page, by the way - but I usually get these things stuck in my head for some goddamned reason. SO, is there, was there ever, a connection between you and the long defunct WHIRLEYBIRDS - which I watched in re-run as a child along with SEAHUNT and FLIPPER while eating cocoa-wheats and generally being lulled into submission by the shitpipe.

AND for anybody else, ***UNLESS*** you have a Route 66 or Burke's Law to trade, do not ask me to dub anything for you. My plate is very full and I am trying to cut down. Except for Keith and Phil. Those packages are "in the mail", right?

- Barney

Jeff Patterson

Wayne Barlowe Aliens on TV!

Postby Jeff Patterson » Tue May 03, 2005 3:43 am

Name: Jeff Patterson
The Discover Channel website has a page for a CGI "documentary" called Alien Planet. It's based on the Wayne Barlowe book Expedition. It airs May 14 at 8PM.
http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/al ... plash.html
Dare we hope for a documentary about Medea?

cookie

Postby cookie » Tue May 03, 2005 5:40 am

Name: cookie
Hi, Harlan. I'm here.

akojen

Harlan mentions

Postby akojen » Tue May 03, 2005 8:31 am

Name: Amy Jenkins
For those of you who DON'T get the automatic Google notices:

Seattle Times, regarding Skiffy Hall of Fame
http://tinyurl.com/9n9kj

Itty bitty mention in an Orson Scott Card commentary about the death of Star Trek (L.A. Times)
http://tinyurl.com/cma9r

That's it for now!

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

COOKIN' WITH COOKIE

Postby Harlan Ellison » Tue May 03, 2005 9:55 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Yo, Cooks:

More specific process, style and timbre comments should only be between ourselves, I figger; and if you ever want same from yr. grateful pal, get my phone number from Rick and we can chat, mano a pastry (so to speak).

But since there are others listening in, let me say this for all the world to hear:

You got some good chops there, sistah.

Resonances of Ella, of course, particularly with the scatting. And June Christy and Chris Connor and Jackie&Roy and even a smidge of Blossom Dearie. Mark Murphy is in there, and Frank D'Rone, and Joe Williams, but not Rushing, and not Witherspoon, even though you lamped one of his standards.

My favorite track? I think it's got to be the one you wrote, the elegy to Susannah. It had, to my taste, more of what I'd call "uninfluenced Cookie" than the others. My least? The ones on which you gave in even the slightest to the kind of multiple-syllable-when-it-should-be-a-single-word affectations heard weekly on that awful AMERICAN IDOL abbatoir. The word is "I" not "ah." It's IIIIIIIIII love you, not ah luwvw yoooo.

Having made a living singing precisely the kind of tunes you reprise on this album, I was very pleasantly rewarded by your takes on most of the numbers...even though some of the riffs were a bit more hommage to the originals than I'd have liked when I wanted more Cookieherself.

More, much more; but not here.

Just wanted to thank you for the gift, both the actual object, and the pleasure of your voice.

Now. You may know Big Bill and Howlin' Wolf, and B.B. and Jimmy Rushing and 'Spoon ... but have you ever heard, or heard OF, Big Miller? Might be, if I get the spare moment, yr. pal might have a gift-right-back-atcha.

Sincerely, from a man who actually saw Wayne Shorter and two other guys physically lift PeeWee Marquette and toss his midget black ass out the front entrance of Birdland onto a midnight Manhattan sidewalk,

Yr. pal, Harlan

Todd Cassel

Harlan on Will Eisner

Postby Todd Cassel » Tue May 03, 2005 12:38 pm

Name: Todd Cassel
Sorry if this has already been posted, but here are Harlan's comments at the April 7th Will Eisner Memorial:

http://www.newsarama.com/general/EisnerRemembered2.htm

-TODD

robochrist

...By Night He Is Simon Cowell

Postby robochrist » Tue May 03, 2005 1:33 pm

Name: Rob
"The ones on which you gave in even the slightest to the kind of multiple-syllable-when-it-should-be-a-single-word affectations heard weekly on that awful AMERICAN IDOL abbatoir(sic)."

ABATTOIR, as in SLAUGHTERHOUSE!!

I like calling it, "talent in the dark sanctuary of INCAPACITY"; the very justifications for Simon's blunt honesty with the contestants.

The horrendous songs aside, I actually got pulled into AI last year (and what little I had time to catch this season) - not because of my interest in who might win (because majority of the performances are mired in mimicry and cliches, the thing Cowell vilifies most) - but because, frankly, I admired the process: setting real and very gruelling yardsticks for talent, and inching your way up the grade. I saw in Cowell's wiseass mouth a sort of stark honesty (in Harlan's words, "don't quit your day job") - a message to those who want to compete in an industry that it is a tough world, and you are up against the odds in a jungle of talent and a packed market. I found empathy. I guess, in my own dizzying ambitions, I respect this "yardstick", and therefore take my endeavors - the meticulous process they demand - EXTREMELY seriously.

The guy who made me understand this is...HE. Not because he ever offered ME any critique or advice about my work ('cause he wouldn't even look at it, the bastard!), but because of the tough counseling and admonishment he gave many wannabes (whether or not they had any legitimate talent).

As if borrowing from Harlan, Cowell slams mediocrity before millions of viewers (even though as a record exec, he has packaged plenty of mediocrity himself; ok...well, I'm partial to Brits - so I let 'em get away wit' this shit).

In short, I saw a metaphor in AMERICAN IDOL (I simply walk around and do things while the performers do their wretched songs, unless I want to study the judges' expressions, then return to watch the crits). AI has a message if you look for it; because of this, I think it is one of the more constructive shows in what has become just about the biggest wasteland in tv I've ever seen.

**Cookie, I had no idea you were into this. I hope you can take your talent places.

Well, by a Limey's accent, lunch time's over!

Site Admin

Cookie's Tones (and then some)

Postby Moderator » Tue May 03, 2005 1:34 pm

Name: Steven Barber
Harlan -
You've piqued my interest. Who is Cookie? I'm married to a very talented jazz vocalist my own little self and we're always seeking out new singers to follow.

Steve Barber aka Nim

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”