Pavilion Digest: January 2005

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: January 2005

Postby admin » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:25 pm

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of January 2005.

Mike Resnick

eBay auction

Postby Mike Resnick » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:25 pm

Name: Mike Resnick
Source: unca20050211.htm
I have been auctioning off Margaret Ford Keifer's collection on eBay over the past 36 months. (She is the widow of Don Ford, died 1965, and Ben Keifer, died 1974, both fans and collectors.) The postcard I put up for auction was found in Don Ford's neatly-labeled corresponce file cabinets as being from Harlan. Today I received half a dozen e-mail messages that Harlan says the card is not authentic. As a result, I cancelled the auction. I apologize for any misunderstanding, and can only say that of the 3000+ items I have sold for Margaret, this is the first one where the authenticity has been challenged.

-- Mike Resnick

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:41 am

Name: Chuck Messer
Goodbye 2004, and good riddance. Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

Hello 2005. You're not gonna hurt us, are ya?

Glad to see the postcard brouhaha has been cleared up. I hope everyone enjoyed ushering out the gaunt, cadaverous old year and welcoming the new.

Chuck

Cindy

Postby Cindy » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:45 am

Name: Cindy
Brian,
This is late but I wanted to address what you wrote earlier.

Gone With The Wind is filled with distorted representations because David O. Selznick had a propensity for sticking to the story the way it was written in most of his films. This has a lot to do with his difficulty working with Mr. Hitchcock. It also had a lot to do with the success of his films. He took classics and highly profitable books and refitted them for the screen, trying to remain absolutely faithful to the author's work. He understood that the books were enduring and/or commercially successful for a reason. The stories weren't broken so he saw no need to plaster them with duct tape.

Margaret Mitchell, who wrote Gone With The Wind, was a Southern lady during the first third of the last century. The book is a reflection (without distortion) of her perceptions. My paternal grandmother was from Mississippi. Her generation was that of Margaret Mitchell. She had alot of the same astounding backward notions and misconceptions. It's all perception.

You thought Ashley unbelievable but I have known individuals who had that same strange, incomprehensible nobility. I believe it's rare, maybe it's something that only presents in the warmth of the Southern states. I have also known the gentle and sweet type of feminine soul that is seen in the character of Melanie Wilkes. Both characters are accurate representations of actual personality types that I have encountered personally, but it looks like their numbers are dwindling.

Scarlett is a monster, of that there is no question, but she is one of the most fascinating monsters of all times (which is another reason the film is so enduring). Rhett sees himself in Scarlett and admires her for the tenacity and courage that he values in himself. He believes that he can change her by loving her without condition and giving her security that she's lost in her life. He thinks (initially) that her selfish nature can be tempered and straightened by dint of his love and protection. In the end he realizes that she's beyond help.

As Oprah would say, " Believe 'em when they show you who they are the FIRST time."

:)
Cindy

To all of y'all,

Happy New Year.
Hook 'em Horns.
;)
Cindy

Barney Dannelke

Mike Resnick / Bwana / these comments

Postby Barney Dannelke » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:59 am

Name: Barney Dannelke
At the risk of pissing one or more of you off - including Harlan - I'm gonna say a few things about this postcard brouhaha.

First, and MOST importantly, although I have never met Mike Resnick in the flesh, I have been dealing with him via eBay for a couple of years now. In that time I have purchased quite a few collectibles. These have been things like ARC's, signed limited editions and Ellison fanzine material from the early 1950's. In fact I think it's safe to say that some of the most interesting Ellison material that John G, Scott V. Norris, Tim Richmond and I have been able to acquire have been through the good auspices of Mike Resnick.

Moreover, Mike's dealings with me on the internet have always been prompt, informative and fair. In fact, I dropped the ball on a payment to him and he was understanding and patient.

As for these speculations that Mike is trying to pull ANY sort of fast one or that it's not Mike, well, I'm gonna run down why I believe this is "horse puckey". First IT IS MIKE RESNICK. Other people just don't have that many ARC's and pre-publication copies of ORACLE, KIRINYAGA and BULLY! laying around. Secondly, the address corresponds to the SFWA directory.

And now, to the provenance of that postcard. Here are a few reasons why I think Mike posted it in good faith and why I think it's just POSSIBLY legitimate. First, Mike - and Don Ford's widow have had numerous possibilities to put Ellison auto's out there and never have. I think if I was going to fake an Ellison auto it would have been on any number of really rare fanzines that have passed through Mikes hands these past few years. Secondly, it comes from a very credible location. Third, the period stock and postage are correct. Fourth, yes Harlan knows how to spell his own name but that looks just as much like a sloppily made "a" as it does a well planned "e". And the card seems to have been done very much on the fly. As for Harlan's writing and printing style[s] I can say that his handwriting has gotten worse and his printing neater over the decades. His auto has changed over the decades quite a bit as well. I mention this because if you ever saw a 1957 auto from him and compared it to a SLIPPAGE auto you'd think the '57 was a fake.

Fifth, the drawing...

The TRUTH is that Harlan used to draw often enough as a teen and young adult that this quickee head sketch would have been possible for him, although I admit, just barely within his abilities. I hope he doesn't get pissed at me for saying this but I've just got too many fanzines sitting in drawers with credited drawings by Harlan to say that Harlan couldn't or never drew. Drawing "well", that's different. Oh, and here's a scenario now that I think of it - picture 2 or 3 people sitting in a HOJO waiting for someone and one of the other diners does the sketch and Harlan uses it as a note as they all must be going. JUST a scenario mind you.

Having said ALL that, I agree with Harlan that the timeline is wonky and I'm NOT gonna spend a day cobbling up some Harry Turtldove alternate history scenario where it would be possible. But I know if you drill down and look at Harlan's travels from 1955 until he settles in LA there are quite a few examples of him bouncing around and day tripping back to Cleveland and up from Kentucky and what have you. Nothing is simple. Especially the life of someone who has been burning both ends of the candle into 8 decades now.

- Barney

Micheal

Postby Micheal » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:25 am

Name: Micheal
I may or may not have had dealings with Mike Reznick in the past, having been placed out of loop by circumstance, but I do note this as I did at the other site. The matter was handled in the best way possible by everyone involved. Good enough for government work, I say.

To everyone, Happy New Year!

JaySmith

Postby JaySmith » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:37 am

Name: Jay Smith
Absolutley, it is Mike Resnick and his intentions were good. With all the stuff he's selling, it's not surprising that it slipped through.

I'm glad we were able to call attention to it prior to Ebay getting involved on behalf of a pissed off buyer.

Michael Reed - Deep Shag Records

Rick Wyatt - alive or dead?

Postby Michael Reed - Deep Shag Records » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:59 am

Name: Michael Reed - Deep Shag Records
If anyone knows how to get in touch with Rick Wyatt, please contact me through the label.

Many Thanks & Happy New Year

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

LAST WORD ON THE POSTCARD BROUHAHA

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:52 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
ONE: Not for a moment did I suggest Mr. Resnick was trying to pull a fast one.

TWO: Once it was verified that Mr. Resnick was the seller, I knew the item had entered the stream innocently, however erroneously.

THREE: The card is NOT mine, Barney. Let me say that again: I did not, absolutely, positively, have anything to do with that card. It ain't mine, never was, never could be.

FOUR: Your "what-ifs" and assumptions of more pertinent wisdom than mine are way outta line, son. I do happen to know what my handwriting looked like back then, middle-back-then, middle-now and currently ... and I NEVER wrote like that. The card is NOT from me, whoever sent it from Cincinnati to Don Ford. I haven't been in Cincinnati since the 1950s, if I recall the last half-century at all well. And, geezus, kiddo, it is clearly an "e," not a badly lettered "a" in my name. Cease posturing, Barney, and fook ahwf.

FIVE: If I am at all distressed by ANY of this, it is that Mr. Resnick has been selling Ellisonia without offering it to me for MY archive. I would've paid for items I'm missing at the same prices others have laid out. Do not mistake my concern: I'm not suggesting either Margaret or Mr. Resnick don't have the right to market these items, I'm only troubled that neither thought to let me know so I could fill in gaps in my own files.

SIX: Tried reaching Mr. Resnick with the URL on his post, and got shunted here'n'there ... never could get to a workable e.mail site to let him know that as far as I am concerned it is "no harm, no foul." Couldn't get through, so I would take it as a personal favor if one of you -- even you, Barney, you great melonhead, you -- would contact Mr. Resnick and refer him to this post. DO NOT, please I beg you, paraphrase or precis what I've said here. Refer him to my words, and let me speak for myself, in tone and content.

Thank you all (except for Dannelke, whose woolgathering is now on the endangered species list) for nipping this one in the bud before Mr. Resnick, the prospective buyer, and I, unnecesarily found ourselves in an e.bay embroglio.

Respectfully, Yr. pal, Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

REPLY TO MICHAEL REED AT DEEP SHAG

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:58 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
MICHAEL: Rick is, I believe, in Arkansas for a short spell.

No contact number at the moment. He really doesn't want to be distracted, at least for the nonce.

He'll be back soon. If you scroll back a day or so, you'll find his most recent advisement.

Harlan

AlexKrislov

Card and all that

Postby AlexKrislov » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:24 am

Name: Alex Krislov
Harlan, I just rang Mike up and let him know you've got another message for him here. He's sent you something else, too. Look's like all's well.

Happy New Year to you and Susan!

Mike Resnick

Postby Mike Resnick » Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:13 pm

Name: Mike Resnick
I'm glad everyone's decided I'm not a villain.

I -should- have spotted the misspelling; I really do know how
to spell "Harlan". But as anyone who knows me -- and that
includes a ton of pros and fans -- can tell you, I had 5
eye surgeries in 2004, 3 on one eye, 2 on the other, and I'm
not always able to see exactly what I should be seeing.

I had no idea Harlan wanted such items for his own archives.
There was only one other letter in Don Ford's Ellison file,
a postcard from 1956 that seems legit. I've mailed a photocopy
to Harlan, and will do nothing with it until he authenticates
it. Then, if he wants it, I'll be happy to sell it privately
to him.

I should point out that I am a writer, not a bookseller. I have
over 100 books of my own out there; just check Amazon. I am not
doing this for a living, or even for profit. I am simply helping
a trio of computer-challenged elderly fans, one of them Don
Ford's widow, downsize or totally unload their collections so
they can enjoy some of the profits before their heirs leave
the books, pulps and papers out for the garbageman or perhaps Goodwill.

-- Mike Resnick

JohnG

Postby JohnG » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:09 pm

Name: John G
Although it's a bit late to add anything(trying to honor the one-a-day post) I'll have to add that I've done probably 20 transactions with Mike and every one has been 100% to the plus, and I'd strongly recommend checking out his for sale list if you're interested in getting some well kept and perfectly described items. There's a lot of sf history there, not to mention tons of just plain cool stuff, and I really shudder at the thought of it getting thrown out, especially the zines and other fan stuff that's unlikely to ever be reprinted.

Robert Morales

Postby Robert Morales » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:35 pm

Name: Robert Morales
Happy New Year to all sane Ellison fans everywhere!

Barney Dannelke

Poke my melon head with a stick, will you...

Postby Barney Dannelke » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:49 pm

Name: Barney Dannelke
Ah, the ingratitude. Here I spend a half hour waiting for the excedrin to take hold this morning defending Mike Resnick's honor [which Harlan and I agree needs no defending] and coming up with a PLAUSIBLE explanation for this artifact's existence only to be beaten and mocked by a man I was trying to cover up for. But one can only be pushed so far.

THE TRUTH is that the card is the last link in a paper trail long thought to have been destroyed. It is not the innocent little note that Mr. Resnick wishes it to be. Actually it is a death threat and a warning. "Sorry I missed you" indeed! OF COURSE Harlan denies being in that town on that day faster than Nixon denies being in Dallas. Of course he knows nothing of the sabatoged mimeograph machines and that copped feel by the punch bowl at that Mid-Ohiocon that he "was never at". Of course "Harlan" and "Harl[e]n" are different people with different handwriting styles. How could it not be so? First through Fifth Fandom is littered with the bodies of people who "Harl[e]n" didn't miss. But NO, Harlan was not there on that day. Sure sure kid.

And then there is the matter of the stationary. How many unsent HOJO postcards lie in a secret drawer in that Barclay Shaw desk next to the remaining few sheets of stationary from Walter Sickert, aka Red Jack. HOW MANY??? See? See how the pieces come together? I tried to protect you master but you mocked me and, hey, someones at the door, I'll be right back...

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”