Pavilion Digest: September 2004

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: September 2004

Postby admin » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:18 am

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of September 2004.

rich

Postby rich » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:18 am

Name: rich
Source: unca20040928.htm
For those of you that caught the Bush twins and their "speech" last night: Unless the home video of Babs and Jenna doing the nasty with a couple of drunk Republicans is distributed on the Internet, I don't think we'll be seeing much more of them in public.

And I think Arnold's speech was borderline satire. I mean, did anyone other than the faithful in the Garden take it seriously?

Laura was...nice. Good to see that George Bush made one good decision in his life, but I'll bet she'll be glad when this is all over, win or lose, so she can go back to just reading to kids and ignoring the media.

James

Old-Time Radio

Postby James » Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:20 am

Name: James Palmer
I love Old-Time Radio too, especially science fiction from that period. If you want to hear some stuff Harlan has done with the troup he'll be performing with this weekend, you simply must check out the Atlanta Radio Theater Company (www.artc.org). Harlan did H.P. Lovecraft's The Rats in the Walls and Robert Heinlein's The Man Who Traveled in Elephants. Elephants is my favorite, and is arguably the best thing ARTC has put out so far. Order a copy on cassette or CD and you'll see what I mean. For those of you going to Dragon*Con, they're having a convention special: Cassettes for 8$ and CDs for 10$. I'm stocking up!

James

David Loftus

ancient voices

Postby David Loftus » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:05 am

Name: David Loftus
Steve Dooner:

Mah MAN! I want to hear your war stories, too! Just like Gentle Giant and Timothy Findley and Helen Mirren and even Ellison and Fowles to an extent, my love for old-time radio has been something Ive savored pretty much to and for and with myself. I havent really known anyone my age (and precious few of any other age) whos all that familiar with the golden days of radio, let alone loves those shows the way I do.

There is at least one troupe of actors in the Portland area who read old-time radio scripts live and over local alternative radio, but I havent been able to break in to their lineup yet. Its damn frustrating!

I have, however, been doing voices for a 1940s-style audio series that has been airing now and then on XM Satellite Radio; have gotten to be everything from a villainous high priest, East Indian miner, and an overstuffed fat cat, to a poofy and sycophantic arts reporter and retired horror film star (a la Vincent Price). Its great fun!

Theres a hilarious script in the Fred Allen anthology I read recently, _all the sincerity in Hollywood_, of Orson Welless guest appearance on Allens show shortly after the Mercury Theater bunch did an adaptation of _Les Miserables_. Half of it consists of Allen working his way through Welless supposedly huge entourage of hangers-on and primpers before Welles makes his grand entrance, all the while pretending to be VERY HUMBLE, and then they do an adaptation of Les Mis in which Welles hogs all the lines while repeatedly reassuring Allen that they are co-starring equally.

Are you familiar with the Command Performance show The Marriage of Dick Tracy, also known as Dick Tracy in B Flat or For Goodness Sake Isnt He Ever Going To Marry Tess Trueheart? (starring Bing Crosby as Dick, Bob Hope as Flattop, Sinatra as Shakey, Durante as the Mole, Judy Garland as Snowflake, Dinah Shore as Tess, etc., etc.) I was overjoyed to see this come out on CD nearly two decades after I first heard it on AFN Frankfurt as a boy. Mine is still the only review of it on Amazon.

Somewhere in Jack Benny's autobiography, I think, he quotes a radio writer who said TV is like radio, only the pictures are not so good.

Please tell me where you order/obtain old shows for your collection, Steve!

James Palmer:

Where can one obtain copies of the ARTC recordings with HE from the other end of the continent? Do they sell them from their Web site, or are they available on Amazon?

Re Anthony Burgess: He is certainly worth reading, although I do only a little of him at a time. His two volumes of memoirs are especially accessible and interesting. What an odd life the man had!

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

APPEAL TO ALEJANDRO

Postby Harlan Ellison » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:07 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Hey! You lurkin' out there in Chicago?

If yes, pop in and let me know you're extant; I have a query for you.

Harlan

Alejandro Riera

Postby Alejandro Riera » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:45 am

Name: Alejandro Riera
Harlan:

As luck would have it I have just popped into the Pavilion. So, do pray ask and I shall move earth, sea and a couple of cantankerous Cubans to find the answer that you seek.

Alejandro

BrianSiano

Postby BrianSiano » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:31 am

Name: Brian Siano
To Jay Smith: Thank you VERY MUCH for the link to thesmokinggun.com's examples of photos that _were_ accepted by Photostamps. I've since sent them a letter, asking why a perfectly decent picture of my girlfriend in gargoyle makeup was _less_ acceptable than photos of Slobodan Milosevic and Nikolai Ceaucescu. I expect to get another form letter, but if I can make them feel bad for a while, I'll be happy.

Dan Savage has been running some hilarious columns, about the sexual misinformation his readers had when they were kids. Check them out at the Village Voice website.

Oh, and here's one of those wonderful thought experiments that keep me from mixing in civilized company. I was reading an account of Michael Steele, the governor of Maryland who qualifies as a liberal Republican. The profiler asked why Steele stays with a party that's so dominated by wackos, and Steele comes back with stuff about the inclusiveness of the party and the need for moderate voices in the party.

Now, I can understand this second point. If I was a moderate Republican, I'd certainly want to make sure that a moderate voice tempered the lunatics. But I had to think: this is similar to the complaint that Democrats have made against radicals-- to work within the party, rather than ditch for Nader. After all, working outside the party, they won't have any influence. (Once in the party, the radicals are told to shut the hell up, because they'll alienate the moderates who aren't loyal to the Democrats. Oh, well.)

But this led me to an interesting insight. Why is working in the Democratic Party so desirable? Easy: unlike the Greens or Nader, they have a chance of getting elected. They have some power. That's obvious. Well, then, if that's the criteria we're using, why shouldn't we just _join the Republicans_? They get elected, too. In fact, not only do they get elected, they hold the three branches of government, they have better funding, and they seem to have the news media recycling their lies for them pretty effectively.

Harold Watson

Request

Postby Harold Watson » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:01 am

Name: Harold Watson
Jumping into things out of the blue, and not exactly part of the thread of conversation---Is there someone out there who can shoot me a copy (via e-mail of course) of Mssr. ellison's essay "The Song The Sixties Sang"? I'm planning to read it to my Hist. 102 class as a look back at the sixties. I have it in his Edgeworks collection, but I've mislaid my copy.
watsonh@otc.edu

Jon A. Bell

The Burgess Connection

Postby Jon A. Bell » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:23 am

Name: Jon A. Bell
Well, since people are talking about Anthony Burgess...

With all due respect to Harlan's (completely understandable) negative feelings towards Burgess, I still think the man was, overall, a staggering writer with a formidable intellect (he flummoxed William F. Buckley during an interview when Buckley was clearly trying to "out-erudite" his guest), and he had an amazing life. His novel "Earthly Powers" is (IMO) utterly brilliant, and it remains my favorite novel of all time. 20 years ago, I went through a period where I collected first editions of Burgess, and I still own almost 50 of his books and other rare printed matter, in both American and British first editions, including a first Heineman edition of "A Clockwork Orange." (And I got my copy of "Powers" autographed by Burgess when he gave a reading at Harvard in 1983.)

For those people who haven't read Burgess's fiction (other than "A Clockwork Orange") and his essays (especially his autobiographical material), I still do -- despite his poor review of DV -- recommend his work.

-- Jon

remarck

This is going to look like such a non-sequitur

Postby remarck » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:47 am

Name: Keith Cramer
Brian, slight correction. Steele is the Lieutenant Governor. Erlich is the Governor.

As for your interesting thought to which that leads, I concur with your observation of the natural extension of that philosophical morass. At some point, theres a line you crossa transparent yet monumentally significant line, in which the power you gain to change things comes at a significant price, and that price is your conscience. Therefore, people who embrace that rationalization are delusional, yet they do not realize it.

The country is getting more conservative, fueled by a fat middle class that desires the wealth that is just out of their reach. I think social Democrats have largely fled the party to join with Nader, and the labor Democrats are holding it all together. And labor is going away, to China, India, and Mexico.

The Democratic Party will have to elevate socially liberal, yet fiscally conservative Democrats to positions of power in order to stem the tide of the Republican Party, which has been strongly influenced in recent years by fundamentalist Christianity. I have no problems with Christians, as long as they don't try to enforce their crazy notions on the rest of us. Same with any religion, really. How would a Christian Fundamentalist like it if they looked down at their money and saw "In Allah we Trust," everywhere? Probably not much; yet we Agnostics have to take slaps like that day in and day out.

What I never understood was the thinking that taxes are bad. Every civilized society has taxes. Im proud to pay my 20K per year, knowing its going to defense, social security, child services, roads, Medicaid, airport security, infrastructure, fire protection, law enforcement, etc. Small price to pay for feeling perfectly safe and secure when I go anywhere I want.

I love listening to people scream like wounded wildebeests when someone wants them to pay for national child-care programs so poor families can get to work, but they are just fine when they get to drive to work on roads paid for by our taxes. Its not like the rich or middle-class would be excluded from putting their children in National Day Care. But no. Roads are fine, but child care is too much. Lines should be redrawn, and the only way that's going to happen is with dialog and persuasion.

-Keith

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:58 am

Name: Chuck Messer
My introduction to Old Time Radio was from my father, who experienced it first hand. I ended up getting recordings of War of the Worlds, Dracula, Superman (where Bud Collier played all the male roles in each 15 minute episode), and recordings of W. C. Fields vs. Charlie McArthy.

Edgar Bergen: It's just the Mischief in the boy. Why, he's his own worst enemy.

Fields: Not while *I'm* alive, he's not.

Charlie: Is it true that when you were standing at the corner of Hollywood and Vine, cars waited for your nose to change to green?

Fields: Is it true your father was a gate leg table?

Charlie: If it was, *your* father was under it.

Chuck

Rick K.

Since we're talking about OTR...

Postby Rick K. » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:48 am

Name: Rick K.
As Ive said, Ive been an OTR fan since 1978, and I regularly attend the Cincinnati OTR con. Just wish Id known about it when I was living in Cincinnati, but once I finish building the time machine, Ill be able to rectify that. Just need to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow and...

BAM!

Hey, what are you doing down there?

Down here? What are you doing up here?

Anyone able to identify the speaker(s) in this conversation (nothing to do with OTR or time travel, by the way)? Those who guess correctly will win a self-cooked meal from whatever food is in their refrigerator.

But back to OTR. Unlike Steve, I havent performed with OTR actors, but last year in Cincinnati, an original script I wrote was performed by OTR actors; and Ive also interviewed OTR actors for a magazine article I wrote a few years ago on the continuing appeal of OTR. One of the many cool things resulting from that script having been performed is that this year the director specifically asked me to contribute something to a radio reperatory theatre hes involved with (i.e. is the stories are actually broadcast, not just performed for a live audience). So I adapted a short story Id written and sent it to him. Im still awaiting final word about it (hes part of a team that makes the final decision on what scripts to air).

To whomever commented about there being many Quiet, Please episodes out there (apparently in response to my comments about the series), I know there are, but most of them are in very poor condition (sound-wise), unfortunately. So I was speaking of the relatively few that sound better than that.

Of course talk of Quiet, Please inevitably leads to talk of Lights Out, which in turn, leads to the close of this missive with an excerpt from the great Bill Cosbys routine about the Lights Out episode Chicken Heart.

Dad, watch out, the Chicken Hearts gonna eat you up!

What Chicken Heart are you talking about?

The one on the radio.

Stupid idiot, turn it off.

(beat)

...I hadnt thought of that. For two years anyone who went by our house, my Father-- hey, come here, I want to show you my dumb kid. Go on, tell em how you burned a $100 sofa and broke your fathers arm to save us from that THUMP Thump. THUMP Thump.

Rick

Neal Johnson

Brian Siano

Postby Neal Johnson » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:56 am

Name: Neal Johnson
I would not want to live in any country where Dan Savage was not allowed to do what he is currently doing for journalism.

Good call, my man,

Messily,
Neal Santorum

Andrew Laubacher

Henske and stuff.

Postby Andrew Laubacher » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:16 am

Name: Andrew Laubacher
To Keith Cramer: I would not say that taxes are bad or evil; but I don't think that it's reasonable to pay more in taxes than the minimum required to get the job done. Just as I feel that the Federal Government has no business spending money that the Constitution does not authorize it to spend. Philosophically, I'm a libertarian; politically I am registered as Independent after realizing that as a Democrat, I was fairly conservative. If that makes any sense.

I had the bit of good fortune to find the re-issue of Judi Henske's self-titled 1963 album at a local record store on cd. I never knew that she could be so funny. Her introductions to her songs make it clear that if she hadn't taken up music, she could easily had a career as a stand-up comedian.

debbie

Dragoncon

Postby debbie » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:36 pm

Name: debbie
One quick note for any Webderlanders who haven't left for Dragoncon yet. If you have any spare room in your suitcase, I hope you will consider this.
Eric Watts, the coordinator of TrekTrak, sent out an email for donations to the TrekTrak Charity auction. The charity auction is in support of the Ed Kramer Legal Defense fund. I would be happy to forward this email if anyone is interested. Please contact me at the above email address.
Rick, if this isn't an appropriate post,please delete.

Thank you.
Debbie

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”