Pavilion Digest: August 2004

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: August 2004

Postby admin » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:35 am

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of August 2004.

lonegungirl

Postby lonegungirl » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:35 am

Name: lonegungirl
Source: unca20040928.htm
"This October, Hallmark will be selling a "City on the Edge of Forever" Christmas ornament!"

Nooo! I am _so_ buying this. I must admit that I have the Spock-sitting-on-his-chair ornament, but I also have the Gene-Kelly-Singing-In-the-Rain ornament (upon which his name is spelled wrong) so I feel that culturally it balances out...

Theseus

Postby Theseus » Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:27 am

Name: Theseus
According to the "Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang, Volume 1, A-G" by J.E. Lighter, Random House, New York, 1994:
GINCH, n. (origin unkn.) 1. A young woman or women, esp. considered as sources of sexual gratification; copulation with a woman. 1936 'American Speech' (Oct.) 280 Ginch Any girl. 2. the vulva or vagina."
GINCHY adj. Student., Esp. West Coast. 1. Wonderfully good or attractive. 1959 I. Taylor 'Kookie, Kookie, Lend Me Your Comb' (pop. song): You're the ginchiest!.1990 'Mystery Science Theatre' (Comedy Central TV): Aw, she's the ginchiest.2. (perhaps of independent origin) anxious; jumpy; Antsy. 1970 C. Harrison 'No Score' 53 I got very ginchy about being left alone with Aileen, very hopeful and very anxious both at once.

Charlie

Postby Charlie » Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:44 am

Name: Charlie
"He was incredible!", thus spake Wm. F. Buckley, Jr., when asked about Isaac Asimov. Caught him on C-Span/Book TV.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:36 am

Name: Frank Church
Boy, CNN did a hatchet job on John Kerry that sadly I mostly agree with. He is a flip flopper, his way of politico-speak dumbs down his message. Even his Vietnam buddies had bad things to say about him. His wife of all people admits that even though they have been married nine years, she still doesn't fully know him. How can a man that distant be excepted by the gulled electorate? I fear more stuff like the CNN jazz will tank this happy face Democratic sweep.

----------

Harlan, you build an alien landing strip, but then are surprised one moves in next door.

Adam-Troy

Somebody shoulda raised his hand

Postby Adam-Troy » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:32 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
Bush's new re-election slogan, I kid you not: "Results Matter."

BrianSiano

Postby BrianSiano » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:37 am

Name: Brian Siano
Is anyone else sick of this "This Land is Your Land" video that's been circulated for the past few weeks? My boss in_sis_ted that I watch the damn thing, which he'd promoted as hilarious, and I'm sure that a lot of our co-workers have sent us links to some mirror site.

But this thing's about as nasty and biting as Mark Russell or the Capitol Steps, which are sort of the gold standard for lame, inoffensive, "bipartisan" political humor. Man, I actually feel _offended_ when people think that I'd enjoy this bland little pudding.

Anyone want to read a nice, dissenting column about John Kerry? I mean, something that reminds us all that the main reason we're supporting him is that he's not George Bush? Here ya go:
http://www.counterpunch.com/cockburn07312004.html

JaySmith

This Land

Postby JaySmith » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:48 am

Name: Jay Smith
Well, Brian, you may not have to wait much longer for it to fade. The producers at Jib Jab were served with papers to halt distribution of the song. Apparently they did NOT secure rights to the Woody Guthrie song and the library that owns the rights doesn't seem to think it falls under Fair Use as a parody.

JaySmith

Adding link - forgot about Rick's tag destroyers - sorry

Postby JaySmith » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:54 am

Name: Jay Smith
www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,64376 ... _tophead_1

Mark Walsh

Postby Mark Walsh » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:07 am

Name: Mark Walsh
As ATC's post points out, these next 100 days are going to be filled with comedy and unintended irony coming from the committee to RE-elect the Abominable #43. When your platform is so narrow and your agenda so corrupt, you have to lie your head off.

ATC: looking forward to shaking your hand at Noreascon.

Mark

Todd Cassel

Postby Todd Cassel » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:25 am

Name: Todd Cassel
So, any thoughts out there on The Village? I figured those who debated Signs so thoroughly when released....especially those who loathed Signs (and I am NOT one of them), would have something to say about this one. Patiently waiting for the debate to begin.

Me? Of the last 4 M.Night movies (I never saw his smaller films prior to Sixth Sense), it's certainly the weakest....but all in all, it's a well filmed Twilight Zone episode with a couple of shaky "just in case you STILL don't get it, let me explain it to you" moments for the mindless masses who would spout "I don't get it" to Dude Where's My Car.

-TODD

Steven Dooner

Postby Steven Dooner » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:23 am

Name: Steve Dooner
Harlan: Just saw a wonderful documentary, "Broadway. The Golden Age," with reminiscences of theater folk from the fifties and sixties about performers like Laurette Taylor, Kim Stanley and others. Numbers of the performers mentioned Hanson's Drug Store where Lenny hung out, Walgreen's and the Automat.

I imagine you must have known the drugstore scene pretty well during your Kismet days and afterwards. So, I just wanted to ask, where was the coolest place to hang out for the best conversation? Did you ever run into Walter Kerr? And did you see Laurette Taylor perform?

Steve "Theater Maven" Dooner

Jono

Postby Jono » Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:15 pm

Name: jono
Again, a long time lurker De-Lurks!

longish post...might want to skip itprobably not that interesting in the Grand Scheme of things, but anyhow

And then the minute I go away for a couple of weeks

Just got back from cottage-countryAh, a Luddites paradise, no TV, no phone, no netto begin with a quick statement of my reading habits: I may peruse the pavilion every few days or somaybe once a week, and Ill read Dorman and Dooner, Evil Steve, Jon Bell and the rest of the Canadian contingent, Siano and Cindy (whos the belle of the ball ;-), Rick (The Voice of Ghod), Ol Mr. Doom n Gloom hisself, and even Rob (if he keeps it to under 20 lines!(hey man, given the length of this one Pot/Kettle), but truthfully, Im really just scrolling through to see whats up with dear Unca Harlan.

You see, Ive come to accept in a mature and adult fashion that there aint no way Im going to get a regular column out of HE at this stage of the game, no matter how much I wail and shake my liddl fists to the Heavens, and so, Ill take what I can get; even if I have to wade through mounds of bibble, bibble to get it (sorry if Im perceived to be slighting: Im sure everyones life and concerns are just wondrously important (for example, I find my own to be absolutely fascinating)). The payoff is, of course, scenes like that of El Jefe Ellison (Harlan, were I in the neighborhood, Id dig for free just to witness that!), and quips like sense of a ringworm and bite me bible-boy (Laugh out loud funny!) but every once and awhile I feel I just gotta impose on the regulars and shoehorn right in.

Alex Krislov: Incisive as usual, how about we begin the commandments with As an adult, I will take responsibility for my actions, words and deeds regardless of medium or format and will conduct myself accordingly in a mature fashion.

Cynical Girl: No, I do think that Cindy meant Michael, since after reading the whole thread through, Im pretty sure that Michael=Matthew=Justin.

Cindy: Dont worry, hes not a Christian and, none of any perception will mistake that.

Brian: re post of Monday July 26, Yea, and let their own words convict them or something like that.

Now, Harlan: Got a story for you. Like Costner in Field of Dreams, Its a long story but a good one (at least those I tell it to seem to think so). Our story begins about twenty odd years agoSee, I was dating this gal from Oberlin, Ohio (an absolutely plumb-perfect little picture-postcard college town where I had the good fortune to see Patrick Stewart do Prospero in The Tempest before he did Jean-Luc (contrary to all evidence, the man can actually act with distinction)), anyway, you know how these long distance love affairs go; I loved her, she loved me, I gave her an autographed and personalized copy of An Edge in My Voice, We thouuuught we would beee tooogetheeer foreverrr. Anyway, when I went to see her, I stayed at the Oberlin Inn, but when she came to see me, we saved a bit by having her stay with me (and no, her parents didnt know that. I wouldve hated to see their mind set then after coming to terms with her dating someone six years her senior at 17!) So having been turfed out of residence at good old UofT, and having her on the way, I needed a pad, man, and like tout suite. So off I go to this place in the Annex I saw advertised in Student Accommodations, and Harlan, it is without a doubt the weirdest fucking place I have ever seen in my life! I mean really like something out of a drug crazed freaks daydream. It was full of glass cases with strange objects dart in them, stuffed animal heads, zebra skin on the couch, a collection of penis-sheaths (yes, a collection!), various implements of destruction, knives, bows, spears and what-have-you all over the place. The guy who owned it was a strange, third world-traveling, eccentric, black-sheep-of-the-family-type from a old, rich, Upper Canadian and Olympic-gold-medal-winning-in-Equestrian family, who had built all kinds of little nooks, crannies and secrete passages in the place (I shit you not, he had a trap door beside his bed that he could roll out of and go down a chute to the shower!) He was eventually charged and I think convicted with diddling street kids for shelter, which eventually closed it up, but at the time all I could think was, Whoa! I gotta get Laura to see this! I mean some of the usual suspects inhabiting this place were a spiky-haired platinum blonde personal secretary to the owner of Concert Productions International (very big back then through their control of Maple Leaf Gardens), a chess master, and a stylish jewel smuggler cum rock and roll drummer.
But, there was a really dark side to this place, I mean the first night Laura was there, there was a knife-fight outside my room (In my youth and bravado I wanted to go see what it was all about, but Laura was having none of it and got a grip on me that would do a succubus proud. Needless to say, I never made it out of the bed). So a week or so after she left, Im sitting on my bed in my bathrobe making myself coffee on the dresser (small room, man), and I hear the house shaking THUMPTHUMP! So I pop my head out the door, look down the hall, and I see thisguy, who has Dwayne naked by the throat and is literally putting him through walls. Harlan, I mean parts of his body are going through the drywall! Now at that time, I was a rough and ready 62, 175 lbs. of mean and nasty, much bigger than Dwayne, whose body was improving said dcor, but about the same size as the guy conducting the remodeling. In a split second I met Dwaynes frantic eyes, and was flying down the corridor, where I jumped the guy, threw him into a headlock, put him down on the ground, and whispered in my best Humphrey Bogart impersonation If you so much as twitch, Ill break your neck like a rotten straw!
Thank Ghod, he didnt twitch at all as Dwayne scurried away to call the cops. I had a couple of bad moments a few minutes later when he began to heave,
Dont! I said,
I cant breath, he said,
And by then there were enough guys standing around that I could jump up and tell him Just stay down there, muthafuckah! (Or something like that).
Harlan, he rolled over and looked at me. Ill never, never, forget the look in his eyes. Those eyes were dead, man. Like little black holes, with no trace of humanity as we know it in them.
All he said was, calmly, Now I know what you look like. Like this was an everyday occurrence. Then the cops came, I pointed to him and split. Turns out he was an escapee of Penetanguishene mental hospital and was both mad and bad. When I found out a week or so later that he was getting out on bail, I moved, man, and didnt leave a forwarding address!

Now there is a moral to my little story, as you knew there would be. Harlan, your first instincts were the right ones and I will quote in full,

Rick Knows Who and That's All That's Important
- Friday, July 23 2004 12:25:39
//Really, it little to do with my easy ability to of looking up your address through tools like Mapquest.
So, at this point in time, I may or may not still drive to your house and do just what I've said.//

Grounds enough to call authorities and I suggest doing so.

I cannot rely on daddy's embarrassed assurances that Junior will be spanked. Given my experience with these matters I am nowhere near as understanding as Rick.

Matthew,
If I witness further threats made against any member of this board, your cry for help will be answered by your local authorities.
Stop now.

Do not fuck with nuts. I know you have had some experiences in the past, but please consider this a timely cautionary tale. Dont let the volume get turned up any more. Remember John Lennon. And, for those of you who think Im not being politically correct enough, I say, ever so softly, Screw You, I been there. Nuts is nuts is nuts.

And for those out there who might wonder and consider, I mention that although I might not be so svelte anymore but at 220 I know my mass and thanks to Karate and boxing, I do know how to use it, as does my 9 year old green belt and my 5 year old white stripe. I do not wish to have any contact with youever, and Im not so sweet and trusting anymore.

Be happy with your bifocal eyesight Harlan, and use it wisely.

Luv to all,

Jono

Melissa Reeston

Postby Melissa Reeston » Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:37 pm

Name: Melissa Reeston
Jono:

"Do not fuck with nuts. I know you have had some experiences in the past, but please consider this a timely cautionary tale. Dont let the volume get turned up any more. Remember John Lennon. And, for those of you who think Im not being politically correct enough, I say, ever so softly, Screw You, I been there. Nuts is nuts is nuts."

Nope, nuts is human.

My brother-in-law Joel. There were times Scotty and I had troubles with him, his thinking and comments being aberrant and rambling, the emotional upheaval tormenting Scotty as much as it did Joel. And, yes, Joel knew it and voiced it, with as much terror as I've ever seen a person go through.

Other times, my brother-in-law was the most caring and decent soul you would ever meet, truly one who would give you the shirt off his back. All of those who got know him loved him and felt no fear in his presence. The point being, he was human, good and bad, the sum of all his experience, not just one facet of it. Because, Jono, unlike you they didn't simply dismiss him, they learned about him. They found out the person he was, not judged him on the basis of mere illness.

And he's gone, Jono. He ran away one day, and it took about two weeks before the RCMP located his body. He hung himself in a rooming house. The note told us how he felt guilty that we had supported him, that he didn't deserve our love, that we shouldn't be burdened with him. I thought Scotty would die, the pain and rage was so great. Myself, I didn't do much better for a while. There's still rarely a week that goes by that I think of him and feel that pain of absence.

Of course, Jono, that won't affect you, you don't want to be politically correct, right? They're all Chapmans, Mansons, what have you. You, Jono, have it totally correct, just telling it like it is.

Now I know why Scotty has left.

Melissa

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:53 pm

Name: Chuck Messer
Jono:

I'm sure your heart was in the right place. I think you really were trying to help.

However, Rick is handling the situation, and I trust his judgement. He has dealt with trolls before and can think rings around most of them. I seriously doubt Matthew is actually going to bonk anyone over the head with anything, but his threat did go well over the line. As I have said before, Rick Wyatt, our webmaster will handle this situation.

And, after all this, you ended up making a physical threat against another poster, albeit a thinly veiled one. That went over the line as well. It was also more than a little ironic, if you think about it.

You seem an intelligent fellow. If you want to post some more, I would welcome it.

Just try to put more thought into it next time.

Chuck

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”