Pavilion Digest: July 2004

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: July 2004

Postby admin » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:43 am

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of July 2004.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

ON THE ROAD WTH ELLISON, Volume 2

Postby Harlan Ellison » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:43 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Source: unca20040720.htm
What Michael Reed of Deep Shag neglected to mention, that might be of some small interest to Webderlanders, is that I have already written and remitted to him the short liner note essay he requested for this new collection of my lecture ramblings. It runs almost exactly 800 words, and it is entitled PERILS OF THE ROAD. Contains anecdotal material you may find amusing and slightly scarifying.

Yr. pal, Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

ON THE ROAD WTH ELLISON, Volume 2

Postby Harlan Ellison » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:43 am

What Michael Reed of Deep Shag neglected to mention, that might be of some small interest to Webderlanders, is that I have already written and remitted to him the short liner note essay he requested for this new collection of my lecture ramblings. It runs almost exactly 800 words, and it is entitled PERILS OF THE ROAD. Contains anecdotal material you may find amusing and slightly scarifying.

Yr. pal, Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:45 am

Susan's laptop seems to be acting erraticoid again. Sorry about the double-post.

Harlan

Dave Clarke

Postby Dave Clarke » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:25 am

Name: Dave Clarke
Harlan,

I have two copies of THE SHADOW series on VHS: The Shadow Strikes and International Crime. Both star silent screen actor Rod LaRocque as The Shadow, circa 1937.

I picked these up at a local thrift for a mere pittance, and I'm hereby offering them to you if you need them for your collection. No charge.

Let me know one way or the other.

If you don't want them, maybe I could give them away here in the DP--pick a number between...?

Dave Clarke

Postby Dave Clarke » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:39 am

Name: Dave Clarke
Sorry about the double post, but I want need to correct something. "The Invisible Avenger" was the 1958 unsold TV pilot, and "The Shadow Strikes" was supposed to be the first of series of feature films, also(I think)originally broadcast in the late 1950s.

lonegungirl

Postby lonegungirl » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:49 am

Name: lonegungirl
This was one of the headlines in the "Top of the Times" email I get from the LA Times:

"Ellison Gives His Reasons for Wanting PeopleSoft"

At first glance, all I could think was "why would he want soft people? Are they easier to squish?"

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:18 am

DAVE CLARKE:

Love to have 'em. Send via the HERC address. Thanks a grumpkin.

(At today's rate-of-exchange, one grumpkin is worth 20 piasters, or 6 darics, or 2 zuzim.)

Harlan

I Wilson

How Harlan Ellison Changed My Life

Postby I Wilson » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:25 am

Name: I Wilson
Years ago, so many that I don't remember the source, Mr. Ellison changed my life. I'm fairly sure that it was a short story, but I couldn't for the life of me tell you which one.

In it, he described how to make a grilled cheese sandwich. The clincher is that you take the sandwich, sizzling and golden-brown from the pan, and you wrap it in a napkin. Two, if necessary. Now, you don't have a grilled cheese sandwich--you have the world's best grilled cheese sandwich.

I have won hearts with these sandwiches. I have soothed fractured egos with these sandwiches. If I could get all the world leaders together at a summit and serve these sandwiches for lunch, we would have no more war. Another, Mr. Arafat? Certainly.

Thank you, Mr. Ellison

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

A WARNING TO NORMAN EPSTEIN

Postby Harlan Ellison » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:46 pm

Yes, Norman, I'd rather see a brainless Harry Potter movie than think. Apart from it being a tautology, it is an observation on your part that proves how well you understand me. Thinking has always been my short suit.

But I do think this, and you might pay heed:

Do you really conceive of me as being so dense that after more than twenty-four years of your obsessive stalking and harassment,
I don't know precisely who is writing those despicable postcards?
I have other samples of your handwriting in the Norman Epstein files; not signing the postcards would only fool Scooby-Doo.

Files? Oh, yeah, fer shur, Norman: files.

And the file on you is extensive, Norman. It goes all the way back to 1980. You know I am familiar with your address in New York, and your former employer, Bernstein, has given me more than enough data to pursue legal action against you.

Not to mention that among the endless vomitations I've amassed in the Norman Epstein files since you first surfaced decades ago, and after I tracked you down, is your letter swearing you would stop annoying me, and would never write to me again. The fact that more than a hundred letters and cards followed that sworn pledge, thus indicating that you are daft, and obsessed, and unable to control yourself like an old fart pissing down his own leg, is more than enough material for my NYC attorney to file against you.

Whether I win or lose such an action is a matter of no concern to me. Reciprocating a hefty measure of the miserable pain your ugly remarks about Asimov, Farmer, Sturgeon, and other of my friends has caused me, will more than suffice. Since you are now retired, age 65, merely filing and pursuing such a case ought to cause you enough concentrated grief to balance the long-
unequally-tipped scales.

On the other hand, Norman, I do indeed know where you live.

You can reply in your usual sophomoric manner.

If I don't get a reply from you, by whatever means, by this weekend, be assured that I can and will happily plow this field
on my own.

Harlan Ellison

(Oh, and by the way, Epstein, my zip code is not now, nor has it EVER been 91014, which you continue to put on the unsigned cards, as you did on your signed letters years ago.)

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:51 pm

TO EVERYONE ELSE:

Preceding post intended for one lurker only. No need for your comments. Stay out of this. No exceptions.

I can carry my own water.

Harlan

robochrist

OUT OF REHAB

Postby robochrist » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:11 pm

Name: Rob
Last week I got neutered. You may witness some gradual personality changes here. Hopefully NOT.

I DO have a few comments about last week for the simple purpose of submitting a suggestion to the board management.

Highlighting relevant feedback from Chuck and Rich, respectively:

"Rick, I'd say you warned the hell out of him."

and

"And I'm sure when Rob comes back he'll spout a few chastened words about his exile"

Both comments are totally indisputable. I plead no "doe-eyed" innocence; I claim no martyrdom. Im as guilty as the feller who lets one fly in a jam-packed elevator on a hot summer afternoon. I am NOT a better man for it, to Rich's relief; but Jeff may be pleased to know I visited the doctor a few days ago. In fact, I saw a whole company of doctors. BUTyes, mam, you got the inevitable "but":

First, a word about my posting history. When the new site was set up, as we all know, limp in my self-discipline, I had this "inclination" to continue double posting in a conveniently sophistic interpretation of the rules. Trauma model baggage from my childhood. It took our webmaster some work but I finally - FINALLY - ceased. I stopped cold. I wouldnt even CONSIDER double posting again. I watched the time cycle carefully. Understand? I DID stop double-posting.

Then, in time, I saw this odd pattern emerge, wherein people were double posting, declaring, "I will take a few days off the board to make it up". Their justifications for it were generally quite weak; if the comment had some importance to them (whether it was a "link of interest" or a political observation) that seemed to be enough. I thought they were going to get shit for it. Particularly since it went on for some time and it was usually the same people. They weren't doing it often, but they WERE doing it. Yet, no warning from the management popped up. Regardless, at first I wouldn't even consider doing it again under any circumstances. I stayed away from it, watching for some response on the matter. It never came. We'd never seen THIS privilege on the board before.

So, I wondered if the "self-penalty" had become a compromise, an unspoken provision in the rules. I waited to see what would happen as this behavior went on. Finally, I decided to try and follow the example. I did just as the others were doing and I e-mailed Rick about it. Admittedly, I contacted him AFTER the fact. I stayed OFF the board for a few days as I said I would. I never heard from Rick. I went on to do this sporadically a few more times. But I never got a response. No, "you are on probation and you are therefore not entitled to the same leniency as the others. Dont do it again." With that brief counseling I would have ceased in my tracks, regardless of what others were doing. But I received no feedback at all.

Thus, along with the few people who'd been doing it, I occasionally double posted and stayed off the board for a while anytime I did so. This went on for a long time. When Rick finally posted his warning last week I was almost plagued with the question, "why NOW?" Even leniency - which I DO think is something to appreciate - has to follow some consistency with the rules.

What is my aim here?

A simple suggestion. If the purpose for the one-post-a-day rule is "to give the less frequent posters and new people room to be heard", why not INCORPORATE the provision, "if you double-post you must hold all posting for 1 week (no more, no less); if you post again within that time you will be band promptly from the Pavillion"? I feel, since people have been double-posting no matter what, that this minimizes the headaches, the "confusion", and the technical breaches. The management, at first, might want to give people a "freebie", as news about law changes take a while to reach EVERYONE in the community.

As for MY situation: At least once in the past the word "probation" was used to describe my status. If my memory serves me, in law probation means a method of dealing with offenders that allows them to go at large under supervision for a period designated by the court, after which time that offender has a chance to redeem himself. I would like to suggest, if youre going to grant others the leniency to double-post at at ALL, in which case they would gradually EXCEED my own record for the transgression, that you impose a LIMITED penalty time on ME. Say, maybe 4 months or 6 months. If I should double post with even just ONE word within that time I would be automatically banned. But if I HOLD to my agreement...I eventually get the same leniency others here receive.

I agree, you could argue that in the past I had continued my transgressions after being warned several times and I therefore warrant no further consideration on the matter. Then, again, the general issue about double posting had been stated many times, in effect, warning EVERYONE, yet several people had proceeded with it regardless, presuming self-penalty made it acceptable. I never saw a provision saying they could do that. No one said a THING when they did it.

I feel, then, it would be fair to officially modify the rule, SLIGHTLY, and hold me to an agreement that would eventually entitle me to the rights shared by the board.

I wish I were playing to the gallery, but whether you agree or disagree, thats all I have to say on the matter. While no counterarguments would change my view on it, it is ultimately up to the community and the 'court' to weigh in and Ill have to abide by the decision.

(In closing, I want to genuinely thank those like Steve and Washu and others for having the perspicacity to come to my support. I'm rather bias myself)

Cynical Girl

Postby Cynical Girl » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:22 pm

Name: Cynical Girl
A big hug, a pint of absolution, and a welcome to Rob. Glad you're back.

remarck

Rob is back with a Proctoscope!

Postby remarck » Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:37 pm

Name: Keith Cramer
Rob,

Welcome!

I wish you would use other words than While no counterarguments would change my view on it in your defense of stricter rules for double-posters. I would say that zero tolerance rules, of which I want no part, are well intentioned but ill-conceived.

I have been frequenting the board for over a year, and posting for just under that, and I have only one time double-posted, and that was after I had requested help from the Pavilion denizens in locating a way to contact the publisher of a book Id ordered, and someone immediately e-mailed me the info I had requested, and I posted QUICKLY that someone had helped, and to disregard the prior post. In a world of zero tolerance, I would have been banned for a while. Not logical. Had I not double-posted, multiple people (perhaps I flatter myself) may have been looking for ways in which to help me, and whatnot.

Exceptions are necessary. I will confess that most diners here who double post are not doing so for reasons I would consider viable, but I dont run the board. However, theres nothing to indicate that Rick isnt hunting down the offenders and sending them warnings via e-mail, either. He may be aware of more than you think.

Also, Im fairly sure (though not positive), that Rick has a day job, and managing the board to that degree of exactitude would take all his time, of which we all have precious little. Ive e-mailed him before and he sometimes does not reply. Again, its a time factor. In my post responding to Teak last week, I misattributed the manufacturer of Photoshop and I did not double-post to correct itI sent Rick an e-mail and asked him to correct it, if he could, the next time he went in and performed maintenance on the board. Does it matter? Only to my ego, in that I made a stupid mistake. Did it require a double-post? No. Will Rick see to it that my misattribution is corrected so that the geeky readers of the archives (of which I am one) dont see my mistake? Maybewho knows?

And I dont think you were neutered. It was more of a smack down, really.

Im happy youre back.

-Keith

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:07 pm

Name: Lil' Washu
A fine little commentary on our arrogant, dumbass times:

http://cagle.slate.msn.com/news/Michael ... p?GT1=4244

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”