Pavilion Digest: April 2004

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: April 2004

Postby admin » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:22 am

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of April 2004.

Alex Jay Berman

Postby Alex Jay Berman » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:22 am

Name: Alex Jay Berman
Source: unca20040527.htm
CINDY: I'm witcha on the loss of your winged friend. Perhaps more than I'd like to be, since Pixel's been in the hospital for over a week now (and my, how those bills do mount up!), and will be returning home (probably Friday) to a month and a half of having pills shoved down his throat, and a week of my having to shoot a pony-bottle's-worth of fluids under the skin for a couple weeks.

ADAM: You know, you would THINK that one of the show's legal consultants would have taken a look at the script in question, and grabbed a producer:
"Listen--this script about the retarded guy? It can't work."
"What? What are you talking about?!?"
"I'm telling you, it won't work."
"Well, what do YOU know about it? This is the future! You're a lawyer--what do YOU know about the future?
"Oh, more than you'd think. For instance, I know a lot about YOUR future. The one with the huge lawsuit in it."

Guy Lillian

politics

Postby Guy Lillian » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:10 am

Name: Guy Lillian
The poster who averred that there was no difference between the presidential candidates because they came from similar backgrounds is desperately off base. Such thoughts led people to nihilistic votes for Nader last time, and installed a drunk in the White House who has led us to pointless war, the revulsion of mankind, and economic blight. As a lawyer, let me add that there is an enormous, fundamental, and vital difference between the way inm which W and Kerry view society and law -- or do you want an America with Antonin Scalia as Chief Justice?

P.A. Berman

Postby P.A. Berman » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:16 am

Name: P.A. Berman
In a bizarre turn of events, I agree with Rob: I think Kerry's choice of running mate could make the difference for undecided voters. I know I'm reserving judgement on him until the convention to see which way he breaks. Hell, the guy needs something to make him appealing.

Does anyone think Bush will choose a new running mate for this election? Or do the Republicans really think that Dick Cheney can run for president in 2008? Anyone heard anything about the possibility of a change in Bush's ticket?

PAB

rich

Postby rich » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:37 am

Name: rich
A-TC,
I don't know if the Century City episode is being investigated, but just doing some quick poking around on the 'net indicates that just about everyone that saw that episode thought of FLOWERS FOR ALGERNON. It's still listed on some sites as being the name for that show as opposed to what it was called when it aired, "A Mind is a Terribile Thing to Lose".

If you've got contact with Daniel Keyes, then he definitely should look into this as it's painfully obvious that this is a blatant ripoff.

And for those that care, Century City is now kaput so they probably won't be airing any of the episodes again.

Other News...
Kerry will win. Not sure about a VP candidate, but Edwards would only be a good choice if Kerry truly likes him. There is no way in hell Edwards will win his home state (I'm talking NC, not SC, since that's where his seat is) and I don't think he'd pull enough Southern votes to matter, but I think he would bring the same thing Gore brought to Clinton's ticket: bright individual who would bring something to the White House other than votes.

Quite frankly, that's why Bush brought Cheney on board. And, yes, Cheney will continue to be Bush's VP. The only way Cheney would step down is if the Republicans forced him to, but that would be unlikely since Bush seems to be on tenuous ground lately and Dick is a bright guy, baboon heart and all.

Also, since PAB agrees with Rob, I think the fifth seal will be opened in the coming weeks.

BrianSiano

Postby BrianSiano » Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:04 am

Name: Brian Siano
I don't have much to add about the Bush and Kerry debate. I've vented more than enough on the subject, and really, gang, what else can be offered? We know Kerry's a lackluster, middle-of-the-road candidate, the safe choice of a timid party, but he's fairly competent and might actually do some good. We also know that George Bush is a corrupt, incompetent thug, and in a civilized world he and his whole rotten party would be kept in cages so we can have fun poking them with sticks.

There's really not a hell of a lot left to say. The only choice I have is whether swallow any hope I might have and vote for Kerry, or to cast a defiant vote for Ralph Nader because I resent the cowardly fear-mongering the Democrats throw at progresives.

On the other hand, _South Park_ did a wonderfully vicious take-out on _The Passion of the Christ_. Kyle having nightmares of stabbing Christ's side with a spear, Cartman starting neo-Nazi marchs in town, and Mel Gibson going absolutely batshit loco when Stan and Kenny try to get their money back. And the final shot was, well, just fuckin' terrific.

Neal Johnson

Apocalypse

Postby Neal Johnson » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:41 am

Name: Neal Johnson
The Fith Seal shall not be broken until the release of the Harlan Ellison autobiography.

Respectfully,

Neal in Sheol

Jeremy Hurtz

Breaking news at Locus Online

Postby Jeremy Hurtz » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:58 am

Name: Jeremy Hurtz
Apparently, HE is "a spent force".

http://www.locusmag.com/2004/Features/0 ... named.html

(Observe the dateline.)

Eric Martin
Banned

Postby Eric Martin » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:31 am

Name: Eric Martin
>if Kerry does take it I'm coming back after you with your own words to make your life an unbelievable hell<

Rob, if Bush does lose, I will be so awash in rapture, so besides myself in gleeful frenzy, that your fire and brimstone will only serve to bring balance back to my otherwise ongoing orgasmic existence.

And I'll need that, because the neighbors are only going to tolerate me shrieking in ecstasy in the street for so long...

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:06 pm

Name: Frank Church
I'd pay good money to see Kerry, Nader and Bush debate. The tag team of the year. Bush would drool into a puddle of horse puckey.

-----------

Rob, I will not L.. anymore this week. Just for you my pookie bear. When I laugh, I laugh in silence.

Now you gotta tell our Cindy that she is no longer allowed to smile.

--------------

I just found out that the company that had four members killed in Fallujah were a private mercenary outfit. CNN says that they were protecting food shipments. I don't buy it. Why not use the regular military? Or UN peace keepers?

It was a tragic set of deaths, but black bag ops is not a good sign.

Steven Dooner

NEW POLL

Postby Steven Dooner » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:12 pm

Name: Steve Dooner
According to the Wells News Service:

Kerry has 79% of the Eloi vote, but

Bush has 98% of the Morlock vote.

Steve Dooner

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:06 pm

Name: Lil' Washu
GUNTHER,

Thanks for the tip. A computer maintenance expert actually told me the best option would be to re-install Internet Explorer from scratch, but if that fails, I'll follow your directions.

At this rate, I'll be Amish by the end of the year.

Shane Shellenbarger

Katherine Lawrence passes

Postby Shane Shellenbarger » Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:24 pm

Name: Shane Shellenbarger
To her friends and those familiar with her work, I regret to report the death of writer, Katherine Lawrence on either March 25th or 27th, depending on the source.

Her current and best known works include: Legend of the Dragon, Stargate Infinity, X-Men Evolution, ReBoot, Hypernauts,Captain Power & the Soldiers of the Future.

http://www.katherinelawrence.com/
http://www.sfwa.org/News/klawrence.htm
http://www.newsfromme.com/archives/2004 ... tml#003957
http://www.locusmag.com/2004/News/2004NewsArchive.html

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:02 pm

Name: Chuck Messer
Lil' Washu:

Spybot S&D worked wonders with me. You might want to try that before you re-install Explorer.

Chuck

Guy Lillian

Katherine Lawrence

Postby Guy Lillian » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:30 pm

Name: Guy Lillian
Hi -- SOmeone please supply me with the year of Ms. Lawrence's birth so I can properly include her on the worldcon memorial page.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”