Pavilion Digest: November 2003

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: November 2003

Postby admin » Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:30 am

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of November 2003.

Steven Dooner

John Ashcroft's costume

Postby Steven Dooner » Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:30 am

Name: Steve Dooner
Source: unca20031206.htm
CHUCK: Oh, you just missed it! Ashcroft should have dressed as J. Edgar Hoover in a bare-breasted Statue of Justice drag outfit.

But Torquemada was close.

-------------

BILL GAUTHIER: With some hesitation, I mention this. My friend Mark Walsh and I listened to Harlan's reading of "The Function of Dreamsleep" last night. It is a story of profound personal honesty. I could not speak after the reading--I could not open my mouth. And other than it being one of the finest stories I have ever encountered, that is all I will say about it.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

RESPONDING TO BILL GAUTHIER

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:08 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
By now someone will surely have hipped you to my attempts to get a tv anthology series based on my stories (or the DANGEROUS VISIONS stories) on air. No luck. Many many attempts, many many nibbles at the line, and often close, but no success. Even with the storyboard equivalent of a pilot episode in the form of three years' worth of DREAM CORRIDOR comics and graphic collections, which ought to be enough for even the densest production executive. Nothing. Right now, there are three separate and independant production entities, each trying to sell one or another version of HARLAN ELLISON'S DREAM CORRIDOR, with me as host. Even one version with me NOT as host. No one is biting. But it's a random universe--as I just wrote in my chaos theory piece--and who knows what the irrational future holds?

yr. pal, Harlan

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:32 am

Name: Rob
Harlan (and Bill),

"No one is biting."

Which, needless to say, utterly sucks. And 'HARLAN ELLISON'S DREAM CORRIDER'...what a gorgeous title that would be for a show, man. I wonder how your friend Ray got his deal launched so successfully in the 80's (he, himself, having long ridden the rapids of unsuccessful adaptations).

I know, natch, I'm "THOROUGHLY" alone in this sentiment, but I'm very frustrated every time a deal of yours falls through. We savor your printed work; yet, so much of it is SO visually translatable...how kin a Joe NOT feel deprived? If someone would just do the MATH right....! Ah! Time to work on the breathing exercises!

...n'Scott:

Thanks for bringing up Harlan's reading; I made note of it; I'll be huntin' it down.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:38 am

Name: Rob
PS

What if enough among us pushed a letter campaign on those who considered producing Harlan's series to enlighten them that there's an audience ready buy? Worked for Roddenberry. Would that be a feasible plight?

Ben

Postby Ben » Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:35 pm

Name: Ben Winfield
HARLAN,

It just occured to me that I never thanked you for giving my brother the address for that resource for typewriter ink ribbons.

So...Thank You.

(And missing the days when you hosted that wondrous PRISONER tv marathon on the Sci-Fi Channel.)

Jim Hess

Postby Jim Hess » Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:40 pm

Name: Jim Hess
Once more draggin' the convo back to Harlan Ellison and a question for him:

What do you think of Jerry Pournelle as a writer? I am not trying to start a fight or anything like that. I was rearranging some books in my office today, and came across several volumes by him, that's all.

Until next time. . .

Jim Hess

Joel McLemore

Back...

Postby Joel McLemore » Sat Nov 01, 2003 4:55 pm

Name: Joel McLemore
Back from a late honeymoon in Pacific Grove...picked up SLIPPAGE during a trip to Berkeley. Somehow, I'd missed that one [probably because I've been more interested in non-fiction over the last few years], but I have it now. Jeezus, Harlan's intro about his heart surgery scared the hell out of me. I'm 31 years old...right before I left my job my wife insisted that I have a checkup before the health insurance went away. Turned out my triglycerides are sky-high, above 600. Anyway, I'm taking medication for it [and thanfully said medication is fairly inexpensive] and have changed my diet quite a bit, but I'm still anxious about it. But Harlan's essay definitely got rid of any desire I might have to go back to my old fatty-acid ignorant ways.

What really scares me is that I wouldn't have even bothered to get that checkup had my wife not insisted on it. Please, everybody, get checked on regularly, no matter how old you are. I really thought I had years before I had to even think about such things...boy was I ever wrong.

Dorie Jennings

Sad state of television

Postby Dorie Jennings » Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:30 pm

Name: Dorie Jennings
An Ellison anthology series would be the most brilliant thing to come along in years....which is certainly why the TV powers-that-be are not having any of it. Notice what shows are getting high ratings these days? Scantily clad bubbleheads competing for money or the attention of an equally bubbleheaded human prize. The rare opportunity to watch other people gag and puke while attempting to eat many-legged not-entirely-dead slimy things.Is it any wonder?

Stephen King loves Harlan, and the TV people love King (they do, don't they?). Think maybe he could push it forward?

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Nov 01, 2003 6:12 pm

Name: Chuck Messer
Joel said: "Please, everybody, get checked on regularly, no matter how old you are."

Let me second that. I started paying attention a while back, but I should have done that ten years ago. In May, I had a heart attack. If you have any doubts, have a treadmill test done. Have your blood checked. My triglycerides were about 1300. Now, they're closer to normal.

Stop the silent killer before he gets you.

Chuck

BrianSiano

Postby BrianSiano » Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:51 pm

Name: Brian Siano
Just one question: How is one to get a decent heart test when one doesn't have health insurance?

Tracy Garnett

Postby Tracy Garnett » Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:54 pm

Name: Tracy Garnett
Hello, everyone.

I agree totally--I would love to see them produce a Harlan Ellison anthology series. If you think about it, there has never been a better time for such a program. Television has been battened upon, deservedly so, for a good many years. I won't go so far as to say the rancor, and ridicule has made them educt, and heroic...but they're taking more willing to take chances now than they did two decades ago, in the Dark Age of constipated sitcoms. Enough of these arrogant, quacking, self-reverential "Star Trek" clones. The hour is at hand for something insightful, and mature.

Lee

The Louvre: Drugs and Alcohol Not Required

Postby Lee » Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:34 am

Name: Lee
I went to the Louvre for the first time this weekend. My thesis going in was that putting so much of our best work in one place is not the best idea; it limits access, and probably detracts from each artifacts charm by forcing each to compete against so many others for attention and appreciation. I imagined a little delicate cameo brooch lost among the gold in a pirates chest.

The brooch in a pirates chest turned out to be a poor choice of metaphor. Interesting how fatuousness can be lanced and cleansed simply by putting down the remote, getting up off ones ass and actually going to take a look.

It turns out that the Louvre is brilliantly managed, producing an effect more like the stars in the sky than a brooch in a box: it keeps art treasures close enough together to express interrelating patterns, far enough apart to give each some individual space, and producing as a whole an over-arching man-made beauty that is more profound than the sum of its parts.

Maybe Im just an uncultured hick saying stuff that no one with a good education really needs to hear; but for me, the time spent wandering the corridors of the Louvre was as unexpectedly glorious as diving naked in the rain.

adam-troy castro

Anthology series

Postby adam-troy castro » Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:13 am

Name: adam-troy castro
Although an Ellison anthology series, done by somebody with frontal lobes, would indeed be wonderful, I believe that one of the barriers between that dream and reality is the lack of success anthology shows have experienced for decades now. There have been no hits, many that limped along, and even more that just collapsed without ever finding an audience. I remember one TV season where several were attempted -- including a truly bizarre "Comedy Theatre," which got quite nutsy indeed -- and all failed.

It has become accepted wisdom (limiting accepted wisdom, but accepted wisdom based on demonstrable experience) that folks (these days at least) don't tune into a TV show unless they know exactly what they're going to receive with each installment.

In short, they want to see the latest dispatch from the lives of characters they think they know.

This is disappointing, and to some extent frightening (as I've dipped into some recent hitcoms, and find the folks there people I'd actively want to avoid), but there you go. Folks didn't watch STAR TREK to find out what Harlan and Theodore Sturgeon wrote about, they didn't even want to see cool sf concepts, they wanted to see what Kirk and Spock and the irascible old doctor dude were up to this week.

There are some exceptions, I think, on those shows which are more idea than character (I really do think the main appeal of LAW & ORDER is not its ensemble cast, but the unraveling of its twisty mysteries; same, to some extent, with CSI), but the principle is sound. You can even see it increasingly prevalant at the movies. Sequels, in A-list movies, used to be rare; now they're almost considered essential. Why? Not because there was more to do with SPEED, or because it makes sense for John McClain to find himself trapped at the scene of yet another terrorist attack in the next DIE HARD, but because audiences think they want to know what's up with those folks next.

You don't GET that addictive, compulsive quality with anthology series. I mean, when they're good enough, *I* do. I got it with the Straczynksi TWILIGHT ZONE. I'm sure a lot of other folks did. But MOST PEOPLE...and TV shows operate on a principle of looking for MOST PEOPLE...want continuing characters.

Irritating to those of us who like standalone stories, but true.

(Will toss along a rec for the HBO series Carnivale, which seems to me to *be* a single, coherent, stand-alone story -- albeit an epically long one. Maybe the best fantasy series TV has produced in years.) A-TC.

P.A. Berman

Postby P.A. Berman » Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:18 am

Name: P.A. Berman
I have to second A-T C's recommendation of CARNIVALE on HBO. Fans of the weird will enjoy it. I do feel some slight trepidation about touting it too strongly, since my enduring opinion of it will no doubt hinge on its ending. Many a great show (X-Files, for instance) lost its power in the end and proved a great disappointment, but so far I've enjoyed the ride CARNIVALE has provided. If you have HBO, the entire series is being rebroadcast today starting at 2pm EST. I'm going to tape it in case I've missed something.

As for serial TV shows, I was a big fan of Amazing Stories and The New Twilight Zone as a kid, and I think there'd be a market for a good one now too. Maybe cable would be the place for a show like that; seems like cable shows have shorter seasons and thus get a better chance for a full season run than shows on network. If someone wants to start a letter-writing campaign for an Ellison show, I'd write one.

PAB

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”