Pavilion Digest: April 2003

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Todd Cassel

Gerry

Postby Todd Cassel » Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:07 pm

Name: Todd Cassel
Source: unca20030523.htm
Chris L,

Can you expand a bit on your thoughts on Gerry? A few weeks ago I wrote a long thoughtstream on the movie that resulted in my wondering if I liked it or not, but appreciating it for what it was. I'm still thinking this way, and it's hard to find someone else in my small circle of new Arizonan aquaintances who would even to venture this film to comment (other than the lovely one named Deb).

What are your thoughts on this one? (By the way, I liked the original and the remake of Insomnia equally. I did not find fault with the Pacino version; in fact I found his take on the character terrific. I don't fall all over myself over Robin William's performance the way some critics did (ooooh, Robin does evil....twice (not that his One Hour Photo clerk was necessarily evil) big whoop, but I still found Insomnia one of the better films released by Holleewood last year!

-TODD

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:20 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Yes, in addition to reading all 45 of the stories Futrelle wrote about The Thinking Machine (including the most famous one, "The Problem of Cell 13," which I selected for the Lawrence Block BEST MYSTERIES OF THE CENTURY book -- the description of which by one of you who read it when he was 11, not understanding that the Block book was where this discussion started -- thereby proved that some of you NEVER read what I write), and editing as well as selecting them for inclusion, I will be writing an Introduction.

Someone asked if I minded a "campaign" such as Dorman is mounting, to get the Modern Library to publish Ellison as they do Poe, Melville, Dostoevski, Conrad, Austen, Dickens and Chaucer. Do I mind? Yeah, sure. You gotta be fuckin' kidding me!

Humbly, Harlan

Cindy

USA

Postby Cindy » Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:54 pm

Name: Cindy
Ah yes, I do read what you write and you do belong with Poe, Melville, Dostoevski, Conrad, Austen, Dickens and Chaucer.

Dorman is a peach of a guy-- sends the lovliest roses I have ever seen.

Today has been abyssimal ( however the hell ya spell it) I seem to have managed to piss everyone off. The Mayor, the City Administrator and their choice of the candidates for city commissioner-- are snapping at my arches. They called in to complain to my boss about what they heard in town that I had
said.

My report was righteous-- I told only the truth. The hit dogs howl loudly tonight and tomorrow I feed them their lunch-- as Stephen King would say. I have one that's been taped and delivered and there is no turning back.

Fuck 'em... they have it comin'.

Cindy

Leigh

Postby Leigh » Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:09 pm

Name: Leigh
"My name is Jim, but most people call me...Jim"

What 1974 comedy did that line some from?

"L"

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”