Pavilion Digest: April 2003

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sun Apr 20, 2003 12:19 pm

Name: Rob
Source: unca20030523.htm
Harlan,

That is utterly kosher, bro. Git well.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:37 pm

Name: Chuck Messer
Jim Davis: "Let WHAT go?"

Har Dee Har Har. (And a genuine snicker)

Matt Davis,

Thanks for the clues. That leaves one less dumbass question for Harlan to answer when he finally makes his way back to health. I've written down your list of tomes and authors. I just discovered August Dereleth in a book titled "Trail of Cthulu", based on his collaborations with H.P. Lovecraft and loved it. I didn't know he'd contributed to the Cthulu Mythos. I'll hunt up "Other Side of the Moon" ASAP. I'll also be on the lookout for any batrachian-looking lurkers around the library. Can't be too careful.

Barney,

I've had the impression for some time that some of the most arrogant, draconian, corrupt and authoritarian public officials were in city councils. I don't know why, but apparently the smaller the universe, the worse the Little Tin God.

Saints Preserve Us.

Chuck

Alex Jay Berman

Postby Alex Jay Berman » Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:06 pm

Name: Alex Jay Berman
Oy.

Just spent two hours on impulsive late-night cookery--as it's still Pesach, I am of course limited in my options, but I got a batch of Passover rolls done and have a potato kugel finishing up in the oven. Only went through a box of matzo meal, seven eggs, half a bottle of oil, and about four pounds of potatoes, along with spices, onions, garlic, and such.

I love the food, but I hate the sense of restriction inherent in Passover. Still, these eight days are the only time of the year I even keep kosher, let alone all the dietary restrictions on Passover, so I shouldn't complain.
What I REALLY hate is all the grating. Abrading the knuckles, killing the fingernails I've grown for the guitar ... Shit. Who am I kidding? Our mothers did and do backbreaking work like this all the time, and never expected surcease.

Anyhoo: Saturday, April 26th at 11:30 pm EST on the TV Land cable network, is a showing of "You Can't Get There From Here," an episode of THE FLYING NUN penned by one Cordwainer Bird ...

rich

Postby rich » Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:20 am

Name: rich
Harlan and Susan,
Lifting a capful of Nyquil in your direction: Here's hoping the Martians don't win.

Cindy,
"...Jesus a zombie?" Easter basket: $7.99. Questions from the mouths of babes: Priceless. (By the way, my daughter is doing a damn fine impersonation of John Wayne's gait as she's picking up the walking thing.)

Rick,
Thanks for your efforts and dedication. Personally, I think you did the right thing and I think the one post a day is also the right thing. I do agree with Barney from his previous previous post, but it's your house and some of us (including me at times) had a tendency to dominate the conversation and not handle our liquor well. Some time to sober up and the drinks kept to a minimum is probably the best thing.

And for those looking for books to read, DO NOT buy The DaVinci Code. Borrow it or get it from the library, but DO NOT buy the damn thing. It's interesting and some nice ideas, but the writing is some of the worst I've seen in quite awhile. Remind me to never listen to the write up in the paper and the NY Times bestseller lists. (Cursing the day I picked up the book and not being able to put it down despite the stock characters and just plain bad writing.)

Take care, guys.

BrianSiano

Postby BrianSiano » Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:18 am

Name: Brian Siano
To Alex: I was shopping with my friend Brenda, who's keeping to the food restrictions of Passover, and she expressed a _deep_ desire to eat some decent bread. I explained that the solution was very simple: just reject your religious beliefs, and decent food Can Be Yours.

So I had this idea of kidnapping her over Passover, tying her to a chair, setting out on the dinner table piles of homemade bread, rolls, stuffing, and pastries, and leaping about in a Devil costume shrieking "Forsake your beliefs! Reject your religion! All this bread can be yours _if only you reject YOUR PITIFUL GOD! MUHAHAHAHAHA!!!!"

I need to get out more.

Tim Richmond

Postby Tim Richmond » Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:06 am

Name: Tim Richmond
Harlan & Susan;
Just got back from upstate NY, read the board and caught up with the various developments. Anyway, we're very concerned with your health and spirits. Please take care! Da twoayas! We love you both and will be in touch when we get back from our vacation. Your Friends, Tim Andrea & Alexa.
PS. I owe you $17 I'll explain when we talk.

Ray Carlson

Postby Ray Carlson » Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:11 am

Name: Ray Carlson
Dear Harlan and Susan,

You are both in my thoughts. Hope upon hope you're doing better. Sounds like you might have come down with Running-On-Empty Syndrome, which, of course, is a virulent strain of Burning-The-Candle-At-Both-Ends Complex.

All the best,
Ray Carlson

Eric Martin
Banned

Graveyards

Postby Eric Martin » Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:13 am

Name: Eric Martin
I think we have to keep them around, and I think it does everyon a bit of good to go into one every now and then, either to remember a loved one or just to muse.

I don't buy into this "everyone should get cremated and be given a 1-foot slab" in some wall somewhere...I mean, if that's your trip, go for it, but graveyards (I don't like the word cemetary) offer a real, tangible connection with the past that you don't get from reading old records in some library. Hell, last time we were in Springfield, IL I made a point to go to both Abe Lincoln's AND Edgar Lee Masters'. You don't grow up reading fiction in Illinois without a dip into the Spoon River Anthology.

Around where I live, where development is some kind of insane religion, graveyards (especially the smaller ones) are always in danger from rapacious land developers who are convinced that we all need one more strip mall stuck between our homes. Taking some spiritual high road and suggesting that they lack relevance for rememberance plays right into those hands, or worse, suggests that the need for a place to bury our dead is somehow antiquated and immature. I don't think so. When I croak, I'll probably be cremated (if only because I read The Premature Burial too many times) but I'll get my little patch of sod. We're all entitled to it friends...it's the least they can give us for a lifetime of putting up with the world's bullshit.

luluthebeast

Graveyards

Postby luluthebeast » Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:34 am

Name: luluthebeast
Old graveyards are also wonderful places to take photographs, especially when using infrared B&W film.

And besides, if we had no graveyards, how many wonderful stories by Ray Bradbury would we have missed?

Jon Stover
Banned

McSweeney's

Postby Jon Stover » Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:38 am

Name: Jon Stover
McSweeney's etc. got the feature review in Entertainment Weekly's April 11 issue (pp. 80-81), with "Goodbye to All That" being favorably cited as one of the "best tales in the collection." That's the Pop Quiz cover of EW, by the by.

Cheers, Jon

Deb*

USA

Postby Deb* » Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:38 am

Name: Deb*
***Just got back from a weekend of cleaning out Todd's mom's house in order to put it up for sale. What an awful post from Harlan! So sorry to hear about both Susan and yourself being so ill...and the state of your parents graves and all. How awful! I rememeber being so ill and having those horrible nightmares...no fun. Please get well soon.

Jim Davis

Random Ellisonia . . .

Postby Jim Davis » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:59 am

Name: Jim Davis
From the April 2003 issue of Locus:

"Harlan Ellison has added the symbol to his name, which is now a registered trademark. Also registered are "Edgeworks" (collection series title), "Edgeworks Abbey" (his publishing arm), and "Working Without a Net" (the title of his autobiography)."

R.Wilder

The Joy of McSweeney's

Postby R.Wilder » Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:18 pm

Name: R.Wilder
Purchased the Chabon edited McSweeney's and immediately read "Goodbye to All That." The story sings with confidence and wit, and begs a rereading. As an Ellison fan for nearly 25 years, I find most of his recent work resonates with a calm focus of energy, an ease of style, humor and plot (I'm thinking of "Incognita, Inc," the stories in "Mindfields" and "Goodbye to All That"). Dare I say it, Mr. Ellison has mellowed over the years, but in a delightful, poetic way. There is still the razor sharp critical eye, the ferocious artisan of language and an imagination firing with all cylinders. But the angry young man of "Paingod", "Along the Scenic Route", "The Beast Who Shouted Love...", "Knox", and "I Have No Mouth...", etc., has grown in his artistry, infusing more compassion, melancholy and love into his stories. Not that those elements weren't present before, but stories such as "Susan", "The Man Who Rowed Christopher Columbus Ashore", and "Midnight in the Sunken Cathedral" are rich with them. I began ruminating on this since reading "Mindfields" a year or so ago, and "Goodbye To All That" brought it all back. As a young man, I read the early Ellison stories at a breakneck speed, clutching the books as my eyes gobbled faster and faster. Now, I sit and read his sentences carefully, over and over. The first few pages of "Goodbye To All That" I read several times, with slow delight.
Upon finishing the tale, I was smiling broadly, and feeling cosy. Here I was, decades after my first Ellison experience ( a dog-eared Pyramid paperback of "I Have No Mouth..."), still reading my favorite author who continues to stimulate, only the fire is now a warm constant glow, rather than a brief, explosive fireball.

BillGauthier

Postby BillGauthier » Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:18 pm

Name: Bill Gauthier
Though R. Wilder has been reading Ellison stories for about as long as I've been alive, and I've only read a fraction of Ellisonia, I have to agree, later stories are not the brick in the face the stories of the 1960s (and earlier) are. That's not to say they're worse (they certainly are not) or better, but it's great to see with any writer the changes that occur. It's hard to believe the kid who wrote "Glow Worm" and the guy who wrote "I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream" and the man who wrote "Jeffty is Five" and the icon who wrote "Icognita, Inc." are one and the same. Though, as years change the man, the question becomes are they one and the same? Either way, I feel privileged to have read them at all.

Now, if you'll excuse me, there is a cold blooming within me and I'm hoping Harlan hasn't passed his virus to me as I sat here innocently at the Dining Pavilion table, drinking punch from a Warner Bros. Looney Tunes 50th Anniversary glass (I'm assuming its a part of The Collection, if not, I'll say I brought mine with me).

Later, folks.

Bill

Forrester

Postby Forrester » Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:06 pm

Name: Forrester
Bill G.:
Harlans words first came in front of my eyes about thirty years ago. While its true that youve only read a fraction of his work, thats one of the delights. Continuing to find a book you hadnt encountered before. Someone mentioning an article or essay, a collaboration, an interview, a transcript. The way one of them can set you off on a tangent (or series of tangents) to do a little research and get a better sense of what or who hes referring to, and when you do the context is so much better. Even when you didnt think it could be better than what youve already seen.

Like a seed to a sapling, the sapling to a tree. When the tree is taken down, the walking stick you fashion from one of the branches, just to feel it nearby and when you do, you (hopefully) can recall the day it was planted, nursing it along, then realizing one day you are the one sitting under its shelter.

We gain and we lose. Theres an exchange between Watson and Holmes where Watson is stunned to learn that Holmes didnt know the number of planets in the solar system. And when he gave him the number, Holmes thanked him and said he would do his best to promptly forget it. He reasoned that the mind is like an attic, there is room for only so much furniture & other belongings and it is best if we retain only what we truly need. (Why is he telling me this?)

As life continues on its way, we gain and lose. Innocence / naivet have to make allowance for experience, knowledge and some cynicism. Learning what and who are truly important to us. Getting a better grip on facts and history and being able to accept that the people we thought had all the answers, dont and are often loathe to admit it. Finding out how hard it can be to do something; learning some discipline and skill but saying goodbye to some of the youthful I can do anything almost-immortal feeling.

Its about musicians bending the notes, playing something you cant really describe, it just is. You feel something, anticipation, as soon as you hear the first few notes. Performers, like Newman, who once said that his face didnt have any character and he didnt really start to know what he was doing until he was in his forties. You feel something, anticipation, as soon as you hear them speak the first few words. To make a sports analogy, the power pitcher who changed the approach, doesnt have to strike everyone out but can still bring the heater when needed. You feel something, anticipation, as soon as you see him walk to the mound.

Sort of like when you open a book/magazine, see someone's name, and before you've even read the first few words, the something - the realistic something, not the idealized "Ferris Bueller You're My Hero" something, getting to know through the work that this person is real, virtues, skills, "I can't believe I used to..." flaws and all. How many people can do that?

So, my ten cents worth, some random off-the-cuff on one and the same, HimsElf or anyone else.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”