Pavilion Digest: April 2003

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sat Apr 19, 2003 7:37 pm

Name: Rob
Source: unca20030523.htm
Harlan,

PS...

Jesus, for that matter, when you're back could you share some reflections about FAST? I had no idea you were so close to him as well!

It is my recollection he spent time in prison for being a Communist. My knowledge about him doesn't go far past Kirk Douglas' purchase of the rights to his SPARTACUS novel, and the vague hints remaining in the movie of a pro-Communist bias.

Surely he's worthy of a retrospect more comprehensive and profound than THAT.

OK, I'll shut-up now.

John K

Postby John K » Sat Apr 19, 2003 7:39 pm

Name: John K
ALEX JAY BERMAN--

I can understand that you liked the other forum, but if that was home, shit, you're in trouble...

HARLAN ELLISON--

I'm sorry to hear that you, and your wife, are having such a rough time of it. The illness sounds bad, and the rest sounds worst. Karma-wise, shouldn't this be happening to Bill Buckley instead?

Cindy

Postby Cindy » Sat Apr 19, 2003 7:43 pm

Name: Cindy
Awwww Harlan,

This is bad!!

RUN to get Claritin-D ( do NOT get the kind without the "D") this will protect your eardrums from rupturing. A while back both of mine burst due to the pressure you describe. I called my father too late for MY ears-- he told me to get Claritin-D. He's an MD ( you might remember) in family practice 44 years. You'll be amazed at how much better you feel after you start with the Claritin-D. I should have called him sooner. My hearing finally returned about three weeks ago after months of enjoying the inability to hear my children fight.

Echinacea WITH Goldenseal-- if Lynn didn't already tell you... it will boost your immune system and help you to kick the bug's ass quicker.

Zicam also works to help you throw it off although I don't know how. The ingredients don't look like much but it is astoundingly effective.

This is all over the counter stuff.

I HATE it that you are sick-- that Susan is as well makes it doubly distressing.

Tomorrow I will ask my father for ways to clear up your chest congestion-- I would have tonight but he didn't answer... he lives in Las Vegas. He had a stroke last fall but he's rebounded amazingly well. Tomorrow I will ask him. There is something that one gains by being in the business for nearly four and a half decades that all of the new and shiny methods sometimes can't compete with.

Y'all WILL be well soon-- if God listens to the prayers of heretical Lutherans.
:)

your pal,
Cindy

Jon Stover
Banned

Postby Jon Stover » Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:44 pm

Name: Jon Stover
Harlan and Susan: Sorry to hear of your bout with the Martian flu. I'll leave the medical advice to Cindy, as all Stover remedies are ultimately Vitamin C and Vitamin E.

All: First off, no, I'm not going to try to pull off what follows on a regular basis, as my eyes are still bleeding from this one. But given the eternal search for 'when did someone say something on the board' along with the caveat that the board is Ellison Webderland, a little holiday weekend indexing.

What follows is a brief index of topics addressed in the posts of Mr. Ellison during the halcyon days of 2001 -- or, more precisely, Feb. 1, 2001-April 22, 2001. The index certainly isn't perfect. Also, HE's gardyloos and hail-well-mets directed at specific individuals aren't indexed except when more general topics sprung up within such postings. The dating methodology for posting dates is American, by the way, which felt unnatural to use.

Harlan Ellison Post Topics in the Webderland Bulletin Board Archive 02/01/2001-04/22/2001:

Artists: Willem de Kooning (04/17/01); Roy Lichtenstein(04/17/01); Mark Rothko (04/17/01); Andy Warhol (04/17/01).

Comics and animation: The Phantom (04/21/01); Phantom 2040 (04/22/01).

Directors: Luis Bunuel (4/22/01); David Cronenberg (02/18/01); Martin Scorsese (2/22/01).

Ellison on Ellison: A Day in the Life of... (02/22/01); Demon with a Glass Hand (04/16/01, 04/17/01); "The Dream You Deserve" (02/11/01); Gotham Nights Batman story (02/01/01, 02/07/01, 03/28/01); "Incognita, Inc." (02/07/01). "Valerie" (04/21/01); Ziff-Davis house pseudonyms (02/17/01).

Films and film topics: Great directors (02/18/01); The Phantom (04/22/01); The Shadow (04/21/01); Writers' Guild Film Society Committee (02/11/01).

General topics: The Bumpus Hounds (02/18/01); Catchphrases (04/17/01); Death (04/17/01); Dream jobs (04/19/01); Easter and Passover (04/08/01); Guns and gun control (03/14/01); "Holy Gadzoley Betty Spaghetti" (02/22/01, 04/15/01); Its vs. it's (02/07/01); Making waves (04/16/01); Not all change is progress (02/22/01); Teachers and students (03/25/01).

KICK: 04/10/01, 02/09/01.

Music: Paquito D'Rivera's Habaneras (03/14/01); Jazz(02/15/01); "Race records" (02/14/01).

Performers: Brother Theodore (04/17/01); Eddie Izzard (04/13/01.

Television: It's a Living/Making a Living (04/15/01); The Oblongs (04/13/01); Special Unit 2 (04/13/01); Titus (04/13/01).

Writers and works: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (04/21/01); Gordon Dickson (02/05/01); George Eliot (04/22/01); Gone with the Wind (04/21/01); Thomas Hardy (04/22/01); Nathaniel Hawthorne (04/21/01); Ernest Hemingway (04/21/01, 04/22/01); Herman Hesse (4/22/01); Marcel Proust (4/22/01); Mark Twain (04/21/01).

Writing: "Brutal stories" (04/18/01); Business of writing (02/22/01); Clarion (04/18/01); Exposure and getting paid (02/11/01); Form and function (04/17/01, 04/18/01); Prose rhythm (04/21/01); Stealth prose (04/06/01); Writers' workshops (04/19/01).

Hathor

Get Well Mr. & Mrs. Ellison

Postby Hathor » Sat Apr 19, 2003 10:11 pm

Name: Hathor
Mother of My God & ABOUT THREE OTHERS!!

This is the time to steam up the bathroom with the heating pad on the back of your neck and breeeaaathe.
We Po' kids always took Robutussin in lieu of prescription drugs, so even if the flu wouldn't die down, the mind wouldn't wander too far South.

(I still use it, but only when I get the bug where I CAN'T cough.)

Negative Fever Dreams Suck!

Faisal A. Qureshi

In this World

Postby Faisal A. Qureshi » Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:53 am

Name: Faisal A. Qureshi
Harlan - Sorry to hear about your current battle with the flu. Hope you make a quick recovery and condolences on the losses of close friends.

Got back from the cinema last night after having seen a masterful piece of work, In This World (Dir. Michael Winterbottom Wir. Tony Grisoni). The story of two Afghan refugees as they travel from Peshawar to London. Shot entirely on video but with a DoP has the ability to make rivers of light from what is found on location.

I hear from colleagues that Winterbottom is a pain in the arse to work with, many swear never to work with the man again but this film (along with the excellent 24 Hour Party People) strengthens the arguement for video being a viable method for cinematic expression.

Which market would the film appeal to? I couldn't say. The people who should watch it are, I suspect, the ones who would avoid it just from the poster. A good film and one that shouldn't be ignored.

Howard Fast - Dead? I'll always remember Spartacus.

FAQ

BillGauthier

Postby BillGauthier » Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:30 am

Name: Bill Gauthier
-Harlan & Susan,

I wish you the best and hope you both get better soon.

-Jon Stover,

Great index. That is something I've been hoping to see.

-Rest of you all,

Have a good day whether you're into the holiday or not.

Bill

BillGauthier

Postby BillGauthier » Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:30 am

Name: Bill Gauthier
-Harlan & Susan,

I wish you the best and hope you both get better soon.

-Jon Stover,

Great index. That is something I've been hoping to see.

-Rest of you all,

Have a good day whether you're into the holiday or not.

Bill

Melissa Reeston

Postby Melissa Reeston » Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:22 am

Name: Scott Reeston
M.et Mme. Ellison:

Take care of yourselves. I must profess in your circumstance, I'd have more concern about taking care of the illness than posting here.

No cures to suggest of any merit except rest, fluids, and avoiding folks who choose to exacerbate your health problems by being a pain in the ass...The only question left is whether yours truly fits into that category.

Kids got "Harry Potter" DVD, Mel got another Gojira original release movie poster, I got chocolate bunny and signed copy of "Sleepless Nights"...Things are good, all being considered.

Hope the same is true for all.

Scott

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:34 am

Name: Barney Dannelke
*** Harlan ***

Oh man. Take it EASY. Susan as well. I was worried something like this was gonna happen. I can't remember who I said it to but I said to 'somebody' that doing Cleveland on the heels of I-Con was like volunteering for a public caning. And I've seen you in this mode before in Wisconsin and in NYC. By day 3 you're like some walking Frank Miller dialog parody.

"Must - keep - telling - them - how - culturally - illiterate - they - have - become - Must... Not ... Pass ... Out.

And Susan, well she's tough and resiliant but perhaps not AS TOUGH as you are. Take it EASY kids.

Also, very sorry to hear about the state of your parents graves. My dad's planted at the military gravesite outside Harrisburg so that's one thing I don't have to worry about. They're nondescript out there but TIDY.

In my neighborhood there's a fellow who took it upon himself to organize some of the local neighbor's to clean up a large cemetary 3 blocks from my house. This meant righting and re-placing hundreds of headstones. Two summers of weed whacking. He got also gotsome city money somehow, had some lights installed, had a military group headstone gussied up and rededicated, painted some decorative canons. Also stopped some night time pitbull fights at very much risk to his own life and limb.
A fellow who would remind you very much of Clifford Meth's friend.

I helped 2 weekends but this guy spent MONTHS of his life on this project which brought neighbors together and increased the property value of about 10 city blocks. Then he runs for city council and loses to Gail Hoover, who was savvy enough to aggressivly court the local gay vote, which was and is considerable.

He loses [by about 15 votes] and she goes on to scandalize the city [and alienate her gay constituency based on what I've heard around the theatre/coffee shop circuit] by upgrading herself to 1st class on 2 flights to and from a gay inclusion seminar held in San Juan and turns in about $1,000 of mismatched and bogus expense account receipts. I know power corrupts etc. but Allentown City Council power?

I saw this guy a week ago and he reminds me who he lost to and I shrugged and said 'hey, what can you do? Dead people don't vote.

Take care and perservere - Barney

BrianSiano

Postby BrianSiano » Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:18 am

Name: Brian Siano
Lterary FYI: An article about the phenomenally productive Alexandre Dumas _pere_.

http://books.guardian.co.uk/lrb/article ... 69,00.html

Also, for rap fans, the NY Times has a piece about gay rappers:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/20/arts/ ... 0TOUR.html

Harlan, I hope you and Susan get well. Only medical advice I can give are Hot Baths, which help me a lot when I've got some illness.

To Barney, re local politics. I can sympathize. We've got a local community group that's grabbed a _lot_ of power since the University of Pennsylvania's dumped huge amounts of cash into the neighborhood. It's corrupted a lot of people who were, frankly, just _waiting_ for a good reason to be corrupted. Makes me feel proud to be an outsider.

Oh, and I got good news and bad news. The good is that a Ben and Jerry's opend in my neighborhood. The bad news is, they've dicontinued Pistachio. Bastards. No-neck weasels. FUCKING HIPPIES, who can't keep a good thing going because the "bottom line" won't support it...

matthewdavis

Postby matthewdavis » Sun Apr 20, 2003 7:46 am

Name: Matthew Davis
Not to pre-empt any comments from Mr. Ellison to various questions, but

Chuck:

HE has written a couple of times (in "Emperor of Dreams", 1978, and "Horror: 100 Best Books", 1988) that the book which bent his twig to writing in fantasy/SF modes and also taught him about writing visually for the screen was Clark Ashton Smith's "City of the Singing Flame" which he read in 1949/1950 in August Derleth's anthology "Other Side of the Moon", and was so bewitched by that he purloined the book from his local library.

Rob:

HE wrote a review/short essay praising Howard Fast in the LA Times 18 Sep '77. Also Fast was the dedicatee of "Harlan Ellison's Watching".

Jim Davis

Postby Jim Davis » Sun Apr 20, 2003 7:54 am

Name: Jim Davis
Holy shit, Harlan. Your post from yesterday may be the single most horrifying thing you've ever written (and that's including "Knox," "The Whimper of Whipped Dogs," "Bleeding Stones," and so on). It's dumb and redundant to say this, but you and Susan TAKE CARE of yourselves, okay? Better yet, when you finally kick this thing, don't take on a heavy schedule right away. Give your body time to truly heal.

I had another question for you, but believe me, it can wait.

David Loftus

checking in

Postby David Loftus » Sun Apr 20, 2003 8:49 am

Name: David Loftus
Back from my junket south (speaking engagements at Southern Oregon University and the Stanford U Bookstore) and chilling out. Quite a bit of excitement here while I was away! On the road I listened to my CD from Gauntlet Press containing an interview with Bradbury about the background to many of his early stories from _Dark Carnival_ (including "Uncle Einar," Lynn). Love that guy.

Take good care of yourselves, Harlan and Susan. I don't need any more bad news this month. Make that this year.

I read Oriana Fallaci's newest, _The Rage and the Pride_, and it's a full-out rant that reminds me a bit of Ellison -- just in style, not content. Kind of refreshing to read someone "telling it like it is" (in her terms, anyway), and a bit unnerving because it's the one thing I've read in the past year that makes me wonder: Geez, is that cabal behind President Bush just possibly RIGHT?!

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:17 am

Name: Rob
Matthew...

Oh, man, do I have to go hunt down an LA TIMES from 1977, now?

Even if I put in the time to find it, it may not touch on the basic question. At the risk of lathering in redundancy, I'd like Harlan to share with us how he discovered Fast and what he meant to him at the time. It is clear to me Hoffer and Fast were of towering personal importance, exceeding the normal accolades. So, I have a li'l checklist of "whens" and "whys"; stuff he may not have touched on in that essay. In effect, I'm trying to pry a piece of bio from Harlan, to see where he was in that intellectual stage of growth - how he read the world at the time - when he discovered these writers. It could reveal some intriguing things about the foundation of Harlan's work...the crossroads and history behind his words. In reality, then, this query is about Harlan, not Hoffer OR Fast.

Now, whether or not this is a blatant lie, I'll shut-up.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”