Pavilion Digest: April 2003

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Bag of Meat

Postby Bag of Meat » Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:43 am

Name: Bag of Meat
Source: unca20030523.htm
Before I disappear back into anonymity, Jason Michelich, much thanks for your comment into "The Metamorphosis". I'd decided not to comment until I'd had a chance to reread the story, as your comments seemed to suggest. Gods, that insight into the opening sentence were bang on, and it did change the tale markably, all to the better, I assure you.

Now, to be gone. Hope I'd not hurt anyone here badly, and that I'd given a bit more than I took. Salut!

Scott, a singing Bag of Meat

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:58 am

Name: Rob
...and I must echo Bern's sentiments.

I just e-mailed Rick a brief but heart-felt letter because I consider it more of a personal nature. But I feel equally obligated to reassure y'all - in spite of my contentious, mercurial, wise-ass nature - I am very fond of you. The threat of losing my online ties with you really made me appreciate that fact. We exchange information and opinions and passions that stretch us a bit more on some level each time we sign off (whether we know it or not). How many sites can offer that kind of benefit? It's a testament to Harlan's inspiration and goadings and contempt for mediocrity.

I hope, as I was conveying to Rick, this situation resolves itself. Either way I embrace all of you. Eventually, perhaps I'll meet some of you at conventions or book signings.

Weak-kneed but vigorously sincere,
Rob

BrianSiano

Postby BrianSiano » Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:58 am

Name: Brian Siano
Hokay, now here's a topic. I just read an account in _The Scotsman_ about an upcoming book that purports to reveal the murderer of the Black Dahlia. The author is a detective named Steve Hodel, and he fingers _his own father_ for the crimes. (http://www.thescotsman.co.uk/internatio ... =433552003)

My second or third thought-- after the obvious ones like "Okay, is thius plausible?"-- was, "Was this guy related to _Mike_ Hodel?"

(Side note: James Ellroy did a terrific novel about the Black Dahlia. I read it, and became an Ellroy fan, because of the blurb from Harlan Ellison.)

Faisal A. Qureshi

Big surprise

Postby Faisal A. Qureshi » Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:01 am

Name: Faisal A. Qureshi
Pity to hear about the board being closed, its your baby Rick and I appreciate the effort in keeping it up.

As for HE's comment on Cindy....

So, what ya doing Friday night? Fancy a discussion on three act structure at your local beret wearing caffeine guzzler?

;-)

FAQ

Diana posting as: Caligula

Postby Diana posting as: Caligula » Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:43 am

Name: Diana posting as: Caligula
Dear Mr Ellison:

Who are you trying to kid? Unless you practice some form of self-hypnosisyou're never going to forget me. For good or ill I will now always exist in your universe.

Bye for now.

Diana (Say It With Roses) Graham

BrianSiano

Postby BrianSiano » Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:44 am

Name: Brian Siano
Candy, take Faisal up on his offer. Because otherwise, you'd have to have coffee with _me_. And there's something about a robust Texas lassie as yourself sitting across from a thin, reedy, hyperintellectual Yankee Northeast city-boy that's well, severely mismatched.

admin
Site Admin

ONE POST PER DAY

Postby admin » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:09 am

Name: Rick Wyatt
I'd hate to have to shut this place down, too. I am pretty busy the next few days and don't have time to play cop. Please read the simple directions at the top of this page before posting.

Also, let's keep things positive - just about anything that could be said about Diana has been said, and she is NOT the primary reason posting was suspended. Accord yourselves with joy and grace.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:22 am

Name: Frank Church
This white background is a bit of a distraction, since you can see even the lightest mist of fly shit some of my posts will pour out. But we are in a safe place, and I am with the coolest people on the block, so I am sure you all are used to my quirks by now. But it is kind of sad to loose the other room. This internet flys very close to the sun. Better to be safe. This room is safety for smart blokes and blokettes.

Rob, I do think you are a cool guy; at least you never seem to hold a grudge.

Brian, don't blame Jesus for his offspring. Remember, man is born with that mark of the beast called, ignorance. That boat needs it's tether line snapped, but damn it if they don't just go to the shipyard and build an even bigger one.

Lynn, I do wish we could get along better.

Bag Of Scottburgers, hope you are not leaving us. We need you nutty Canadians to keep us patriotically correct Americans honest. Hugs to Melissa.

Faisel and Jon Stover, you both are my favorite Webders, not because we are best buddies, but because you are both of the highest ethics and sense of self and humor. Keep it frosty gentlemen.

Cindy, MARRY ME!! Shit, I forgot, you are taken. You keep the room centered. Now if only we could get you to be more dang liberal. :-)

Todd, hey, my special guy. Come on, give me a smile. Ah, look at dem dimples. A Mothers prize, you izz. Ask your Rabbi to pray for this sick world. It needs a tetenus shot.

-------------

Harlan, I'm tryin to get you on teevee again, I won't give up. What a world, where we can't get enough of American Idol and Fox News but we cannot see good ole Harlie givin it good to the dark side. But, as the stubborn pencilneck that I am, I will keep on humpin that ruck. Much peace and love to you and Susan. America's fun couple.

------------

Rick, nothin but love baby. Keep the plow furrowin those fields. Hey, we are a fun bunch. Hopefully, we will be kickin it for some time to come.

Happy Christer day, ya mooks.

cookie

Aunt Babe

Postby cookie » Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:19 pm

Name: cookie
I re-read "Laugh Track" not long ago (aha! you had forgotten I occasionally READ). One question that came to mind was what/who was the inspiration for Aunt Babe? That story made me think of my own favorite aunt (who was nothing like Aunt Babe except that she was fun and was my favorite aunt). I would be sad if I heard her laugh suffering in captivity.

Anyway, I like the story and wonder if HE cares to speak about favorite aunts.

I'm sad about the demise of the big board and wish it weren't so. I've been hanging around here for a loooong time (I used to be keegan, remember?). Rick has always been wise and wonderful and continues to grow more deeply so it seems. This was a labour of love for him. It's too bad that it's taken this twist, then again, maybe it was all just a matter of time.

I've had the opportunity to meet some of the people here, and have cared about alot of people I may never meet except here. Funny, because I don't really know you or you, me. Still, we know something of each other's thoughts, concerns, and what we choose to share of our lives. Thank you for sharing because I've learned a great deal from everyone in this forum. I even got to talk to Mr. Ellison on the phone once. That just about made my decade, man!

So, I guess all I want to say about it is that it was a great ride while it lasted (and I hope we may take a similar ride again, but who knows?). Thank you, Rick. Thank you, Harlan. Thank you denizens of Webderland.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:22 pm

Name: Chuck Messer
Well, I wondered if I would find anything when I popped in for a look. I see the big board has been shut down.

I can only say that I popped by this web site first because of a link with the name Harlan Ellison. I figured it would have to be something special, giver Harlan's feelings about our cybernetic age. "The Death of the World", was the phrase, I believe. I kept looking in because there was just SO much interesting stuff in this place. I still browse around from time to time and find something cool.

Rick, I just wanted to say that this is your creation and I respect any decision you make concerning its future. I'm glad the Art Deco Pavilion is still open. I hope the Bulletin Board does re-open, but maybe we need a cooling down time. I think this place is a service to others and that makes you a mensch in my book.

Harlan, I'm glad you're the kind of guy who does pop in and share with the group. It's not like you HAVE to do this, and it comes across as coming from a genuine affection for the gang that posts here. Well, most of us anyway. I'm glad for the chance to get more of a feel for the guy who writes some of my favorite fiction and non-fiction. You're also a mensch.

Cookie, I'm glad I was able to make you laugh. We can alway use a good laugh, especially these days.

And, Scott, don't run off, now. You're part of the positive gestalt that brings me back to this place.

Chuck

Tony

Ellison stuff

Postby Tony » Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:14 pm

Name: Tony
Ok, I know the "Pennies from Heaven" song, but what are the other 2 songs HE is singing on track 3 of On The Road With Ellison?

Is Jefty spelled that way because of HE's predilection for crafting stories around words he overheard incorrecty?

That's all I have for now.

Much thanks,
Tony Adams

sjarrett

An appreciation and an anecdote

Postby sjarrett » Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:21 pm

Name: Steve Jarrett
A long-time lurker here, popping in to say that as much as I mourn the loss of the other board, I cannot fault Rick Wyatt's decision to take it down. In truth, there is a very real sense in which I have been mourning its loss for the last several weeks, if not months. I've spent the last couple of hours looking back through the archives, reminding myself of the many months of engaging reading the board has afforded me. In its better days it was a thing of beauty. I'm sure I speak for many other lurkers in offering a heartfelt thank you to the regular posters who have lent their wit and wisdom to this cybernetic Algonquin Round Table. Here's hoping that its Art Deco Pavilion incarnation will continue the tradition of spirited, humane, and respectful exchanges that characterize the best of what I rediscovered tonight in those archives.

By way of saying "thank you," I am moved to share one of my own favorite Ellison-related anectodes. At an sf convention some years ago I was listening to the guest of honor, Theodore Sturgeon, as he took questions from the crowd. One questioner began by saying "Mr. Sturgeon, people like Harlan Ellison seem to be saying..." Sturgeon broke in at that point and said, "Excuse me, I'm sorry to interrupt, but I have to stop you right there. You see, there ARE no people like Harlan Ellison." Mr. Sturgeon, as was his custom, was right on the money.

And, I would submit, there are no web sites like Webderland. Long may it wave.

Steve J.

John K

Postby John K » Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:01 pm

Name: John K
HARLAN ELLISON--

I found your work through your introduction to Neil Gaiman's collection SEASON OF MISTS. And my first reaction was: who the hell is this guy? Sorry. I was young and unformed. I found the introduction brash, brilliant, and exciting. It got me to check out some of your work.

And I fell in love with it. I couldn't remember ever having such a personal connection with the language. It reminded me why I read and pushed me to write, in the same way that, a couple years later, Nabakov's books would.

So: thank you.

I haven't read all your books, but of those I've read, MIND FIELDS hit me hardest. I took it with me when I went to Big Rapids, MI, to hear you speak. You were amazing, of course, and signed my book with courtesy and kindness.

I'm curious as to the circumstances surrounding MIND FIELDS. You explain a lot in the book itself, but I guess I'd like to know more. How long did the pieces take to write? Do you still keep in touch with Mr. Yerka? And do you feel you accomplished most of what you set out to do?

Again, thanks. All you really owe your readers is a commitment to the best writing you can produce. The lectures, this forum...lagniappe. A word I first read, come to think of it, in one of your columns.

Hathor

Short Stories

Postby Hathor » Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:33 pm

Name: Hathor
Roald Dahl is good for irony, too. Although bad Roald Dahl reads like good Jeffrey Archer. That might be an actual selling point from a seniors POV, though...

Hathor

Brian & The Frito-Lay Seder(sorry, I read HERE first.)

Postby Hathor » Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:45 pm

Name: Hathor
Good Point. I always wondered about the wearing of the Crucifix with Christ ON it. I thought the whole idea was he got AWAY. And the idea of "What Would Jesus Drive?" Well, I believe he walked...

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”