Pavilion Digest: April 2003

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: April 2003

Postby admin » Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:53 am

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of April 2003.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:53 am

Name: Frank Church
Source: unca20030523.htm
"The stars looked meek peeking over the void of the bent horizon."

Now there's an opening line. ;-)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:54 am

Name: Frank Church
Brian, here's hoping your dialogue in your fiction has improved. Lol.

BrianSiano

Postby BrianSiano » Tue Apr 01, 2003 1:11 pm

Name: Brian Siano
That settles it. The name of the depraved child-molesting janitor in my novel, the one with the gun collection and basement full of preserved rabbit heads, and who sings "Accidents will Happen" softly to himself as he stalks his next victim, will be "Frank Church."

lynn

SUBJ: Writing

Postby lynn » Tue Apr 01, 2003 2:58 pm

Name: Lynn
Bill~ A recco for you. THE GRACEFUL LIE: A METHOD FOR WRITING FICTION (which contains invaluable advice about the craft by our patron).

The author talks about two styles of writing: structural and organic. I myself am more organic. I get an idea, or a flash, and then I just start writing -- more to find out for myself how story comes out than to fulfill any outline or a plot sketch. Admittedly, this method hasn't always been successful. I've written myself into a corner more times than I care to admit.

As for first lines, or openings, I get the *flash*, oft times without even the benefit of hearing the movie projector ratcheting up to speed. Characters in a scene, doing something interesting, on the brink of a revelation. Sometimes these scenes go somewhere. Sometimes I get fragments that never go anywhere, until I discover, quite by accident, that the fragments are related. I've got one such series of fragments in my notebook right now that hint at an epic and I'm disappointed in myself for not tackling it, because it seems damned interesting. But real life tends to get in the way of exploring such things. I could waste a week just trying to figure out how all these people are related to one another, much less how to explain that nanotech force sails are more economical than organics, even tho' they're more brittle. Or where the molecular sluice comes in (seems you program it to collect ore by atomic weight and let the dust storms do the rest). ::shrug:: See? I'm dying to know how it turns out.

L.

REF: http://tinyurl.com/8mmk

BillGauthier

Organic writing

Postby BillGauthier » Tue Apr 01, 2003 5:01 pm

Name: Bill Gauthier
Lynn,

Sounds like we're both in the same boat as far as the organic thing.

Haveta run and put my daughter to bed.

Bye,
Bill

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:24 am

Name: Barney Dannelke
*** Brian *** While I like Frank Church just fine, you are on to something there. Frank Church is a great name for a stalker or indeed, any character in a Rex Miller or Jim Thompson novel. But this character should own a psychotic Rotweiler. And what should the name of the dog be? Wait for it... Chomsky!

- Barney

rich

Postby rich » Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:44 am

Name: rich
Barney and Brian,
That was faaaaaaantastic.

Cindy

Postby Cindy » Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:47 am

Name: Cindy
Yes Brian and Barney,

I'm with rich that WAS fantastic!

Only one small "p" needed to make things perfect--

The dog's name should be CHOMPSKY.

;)
Cindy

JohnG

Postby JohnG » Wed Apr 02, 2003 2:34 pm

Name: John G
Cindy, you beat me to it. Although for that name I'd picture a a little rat of a mutt with more hair than flesh, teeth bared in the best wolfman tradition. Kind of like that pooch in "There's Something About Mary".

Guys, well done stuff.

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:57 am

Name: Barney Dannelke
Nothing quite like having my own joke explained to me.

Hey Frank - did you catch the interview Ramachandran did with Chomsky in India on 3/21. I could forward the text to you if you like. That goes for anybody else as well.

*** Cindi *** While you are explaining and clarifying things for me could you tell me why the US was opposed to a "preventative" invasion by India of East Pakistan to prevent civilian massacres when our "new" doctrine seems to embrace exactly this sort of sentiment? Curious.

- Barney

Jon Stover
Banned

Postby Jon Stover » Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:30 am

Name: Jon Stover
I'm afraid that a name like Frank Church probably works best for a country and western singer (sharing the bill with Clint Black or Johnny Cash, perhaps) or an action hero (Frank Church and Frank Castle in the team-up you never expected to see) or maybe an indy rock legend (Frank Black and Frank Church).

Does anyone else (Harlan included, of course) ever have troubles naming characters? I still love Lester Dent's use of 'Park Crater' as a character name in a Doc Savage novel -- it's almost Pynchonesque.

Cheers, Jon

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:13 am

Name: Ben Winfield
JON,

Naming characters, for me, is always a nightmare - especially female characters. My brain has the excruciating habit of thinking up names that always end in 'ee'. WenDY. CinDY. LuCY. JulIE. MarnIE. JodIE. FrankIE. LizzIE. SanDY. CarrIE.

Maybe I should visit a dictionary of woman names on the internet, I don't know. Anybody else have this problem?

Diana

"I dreamt I painted the town red in my Maidenform last night

Postby Diana » Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:30 am

Name: Diana
P.S. "Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again..." The opening line to Daphne duMauriers most famous novel, Rebecca is one of *THE* great opening lines in a novel. ( I could also mention, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..." ~ Charles Dickens-A Tale of Two Cities)

I KNOW you've moved on from that question but that line is running through my mind, and was an answer to my own questioning as to whether or not having an amazing opening line is really all that important.

Diana

BillGauthier

What's in a name? -or- The Name Game

Postby BillGauthier » Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:10 am

Name: Bill Gauthier
I am horrendous at names and titles. They both fuck with me something fierce. For some reason, I always want to name female characters with "A" names and males with "B" names. Of course, I've moved beyond that, but most of the names are too anglo-saxon. So I try to change them up a little but they always fall short. As far as titles are concerned, fughettaboutit. I wish I could come up with a "'Repent, Harlequin!'... or something. These are titles of three of my published stories: "Stray Cats," "Snow Day," and "Burned Out." Each one seems proper for an exclamation point at the end. "Burned Out" is the only one that is totally great for the piece itself, the other two are boring because I just can't come up with anything better.

My favorite first line to a work is, "The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed." Followed closely by "Jack Torrance thought: _Officious little prick._" From THE DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER and THE SHINING, both by Stephen King. That second line was partly what got me writing.

Bill

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”