Pavilion Digest: December 2002

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: December 2002

Postby admin » Sun Dec 01, 2002 2:55 pm

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of December 2002.

Heather

Postby Heather » Sun Dec 01, 2002 2:55 pm

Name: Heather
Source: unca20030523.htm
Harlan, I'd really like it if you read this please. Thanks.

My mom died. But that's not quite what it's about. Thanks.

Go here:

http://pub84.ezboard.com/fbluepotatofrm ... ID=3.topic

Xanadu

Condolences

Postby Xanadu » Sun Dec 01, 2002 7:09 pm

Name: Xanadu
Heather,

From your piece, I realize you weren't close - but still, some small part of that continuous skein of life which stretches from you back to the very beginning now exists only in the memories of those who knew your mother. She may not have amounted to very much from your point of view, but you can content yourself knowing that from her came you - and what you are and will become exists because she did too.

I wish you peace and comfort in this time of loss.

Bern

lynn

Pale words for strong feelings

Postby lynn » Sun Dec 01, 2002 9:18 pm

Name: Lynn
Virtual hugs are worth no more than the paper they're written on, but m'dear, they're all a friend can offer in this time of strange emptiness. I wish I could do more.

My own mother has slipped away from me, somehow, somewhere, in a fog of Vicodin 800's. The most frightening part of losing her is seeing a mirror image of myself in some possible future. So I can relate, in a small way.

And I offer virtual hugs. Shared pain being lessened an' all.
L.

Peggy

Condolences

Postby Peggy » Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:00 am

Name: Peg
Heather,

My condolences to you and your family. May you have whatever comfort you need in each other and your friends.

Peggy

BillGauthier

Heather...

Postby BillGauthier » Mon Dec 02, 2002 4:46 am

Name: Bill Gauthier
My condolences are with you.

Bill

Forrester

Postby Forrester » Mon Dec 02, 2002 1:58 pm

Name: Forrester
Heather - haven't read that link yet, so no comment on that. You're in our thoughts.

Cindy

Postby Cindy » Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:17 pm

Name: Cindy
HEATHER,

I'm sorry about your mom.

Cindy

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Dec 02, 2002 8:36 pm

Name: Chuck Messer
Heather,

My condolences on your mother's death. I have no words that could cover what you lost or had to miss out on (I read your piece). Sounds like you've got some good brothers, so I'd say keep in touch -- often. I try to do that with my sister and nephew. Good family can be pulled around you like a blanket. Wrap them around you, keep them close.

Chuck

Jon Stover
Banned

Canada

Postby Jon Stover » Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:26 pm

Name: Jon Stover
Heather: Sorry to hear about your loss and what you documented in our piece on our website.

Take care, Jon

Jim Davis

Heather

Postby Jim Davis » Tue Dec 03, 2002 9:22 pm

Name: Jim Davis
They say you don't really become an adult until a parent dies. I don't know if it's that easy or automatic--both my parents are gone, and in many respects I'm still as childish as ever--but maybe, just maybe, it means that you can finally get the proper perspective to see your folks whole. Not as monsters, or saints, or the near-mythical figures who loomed over you in your childhood, but as real people, with all the good and bad and in-between that that entails. Again, I don't know. I'm trying to be profound, but the only thing I can say with any certainty is this: whatever turmoil your mother went through in her life, it's over now. She's at peace, and that's worth something, at least.

You're in my thoughts, kid. Take care of yourself, and keep your brothers close--I'm sure they'll need you as much as you'll need them.

Jim

Jay

Heather...

Postby Jay » Wed Dec 04, 2002 6:38 pm

Name: Jay
I am so sorry to hear about your mom. Even distance and strain of relationships can't dull that hurt, but you're one of the tough ones. What the dumb horse-kissing kraut said about things that don't kill you make you stronger is very true.

We're thinking of you here in Amish Country.

Jay and the family.

Gabe Carras

Teaching

Postby Gabe Carras » Thu Dec 05, 2002 1:35 pm

Name: Gabe Carras
I teach 8th grade English in a suburban NYC school and I am constantly looking for new material to teach to the kids. I've been on the prowl for essays about writing, and I'd appreciate any suggestions that anyone might have, especially any essays Harlan has written that deal specifically with writing and why it is so important to us. Many thanks!

David Savage

Essays about writing

Postby David Savage » Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:29 pm

Name: David Savage
Gabe, I'm afraid I don't know of any Harlan essays on writing - I wish I did! - but I do strongly recommend Ray Bradbury's book of essays on the subject: Zen in the Art of Writing, which I've always found extremely inspirational. Bradbury's own free-association techniques may not work for everybody, but he keeps returning to the importance of zest, passion and gusto when writing, and reading these essays puts you in exactly that frame of mind - making writing seem like a feverish delight, rather than a chore.

Xanadu

Writing Essays...

Postby Xanadu » Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:17 pm

Name: Xanadu
Gabe, every Harlan essay I pick out seems to have the same fatal flaw. While it is inevitably very, very good - YOU WOULD GET YOUR BUTT FIRED for showing to eigth graders, let alone allowing them read it.

Encourage your kids to go out and buy one of Harlan's latest; _Troublemakers_, but for your own career longevity - I'd avoid actually trying to teach him in school.

For my two cents - I'd suggest portions of Stephen King's _On Writing_. It's a wonderful tome that offer all kinds of sterling insights, and is a heck of a lot less likely to get you canned.

Bern

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”