Pavilion Digest: November 2002

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: November 2002

Postby admin » Sat Nov 02, 2002 6:14 am

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of November 2002.

Xanadu

The J Lewin Material

Postby Xanadu » Sat Nov 02, 2002 6:14 am

Name: Xanadu
Source: unca20030523.htm
I sent it via my public (X_a_n_a_d_u) account this time, around 7:30 this morning. If it hasn't arrived by now, there may be a problem on your end. (since I have tried several different tests both to and from both of my accounts and I've sent/received every test mail...)

Please let me know if we need to try a different way.

Bern

Harlan - I'm terribly sorry about this mix-up - clearly, the golden sheen of email and the era "instant communication" has faded to a dull luster more closely resembling brass left out in the rain too long.

Rick Wyatt

E-Material

Postby Rick Wyatt » Sat Nov 02, 2002 7:58 am

Name: Rick Wyatt
Something just winged its way into my inbox and I sent it on to Harlan. Just got off the horn with him and it should be in his hot little hands very soon. Thanks for taking the time to send it on....

Jason Michelitch

Harlan Ellison's Watching (the BOOK, not the TV segment)

Postby Jason Michelitch » Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:03 am

Name: Jason Michelitch
Recently, while idling away hours on the dreaded internet, I came across copies of Harlan Ellison's Watching for sale second-hand. Now, I have a much loved and tattered copy of the book, but it is 514 pages long. The book for sale was listed as 550 pages long, and was labelled a "1992 reprint".

My question is: do the extra 36 pages contain columns uncollected in the original edition of the book?

I'd love to get my hands on all the columns I'm missing, as I've read and re-read the ones in book I've got about forty thousand times. Harlan or anyone else in the know, please inform me as to whether the listing is simply including the introduction in the page count, or if it is indeed a later edition with those much sought after (at least by me) "Watching" installments.

Also, if there are any plans to re-release "Watching" any time soon, I'd gladly wait for a new edition so as to be able to give my money to Harlan as opposed to a second-hand dealer.

Thanks very much,
Jason Michelitch

P.A. Berman

Straub and O'Brien

Postby P.A. Berman » Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:06 pm

Name: P.A. Berman
Pursuant to an old convo on here, I finally read _Shadowland_, by Peter Straub, on the recommendations of... rich? I liked it, but it didn't pack nearly the punch of The Blue Rose Trilogy. I think I'm noticing a formula in some of Straub's stories: the enigmatic female love interest who is winsome and enthralling but hiding some secret that causes her to be a treacherous lover (I saw this pattern in Shadowlands, Mystery, The Throat, Mr. X).

Anyway, I still admire his work and will always read whatever he puts out there.

Anyone read _In The Lake of the Woods_ by Tim O'Brien? What did you think of the ending? I found it a very disturbing and moving read and highly recommend it.

Bermanator

Susan Ellison

RE: HARLAN ELLISON'S WATCHING

Postby Susan Ellison » Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:02 am

Name: SUSAN ELLISON
Dear Jason:

Checked out the 1992 trade paperback of HARLAN ELLISON'S WATCHING. It has exactly the same number of pages--514.

Hope this clears up the mystery.

Susan

Jason Michelitch

thanks (RE: Harlan Ellison's Watching)

Postby Jason Michelitch » Wed Nov 06, 2002 1:19 pm

Name: Jason Michelitch
Susan:

Thank you very much for checking on the 1992 edition for me, I really appreciate the information.

Jason

Duane Swierczynski

35th anniversary DANGEROUS VISIONS

Postby Duane Swierczynski » Sat Nov 09, 2002 4:13 pm

Name: Duane Swierczynski
Hi, Harlan--

Longtime reader and lurker here. Today I saw the 35th anniversary edition of DANGEROUS VISIONS, and happily snapped it up. (My paperback copy--which is the one with a giant ringed planet on the cover--is about ready for a dirt nap.)

Will ibooks be reprinting any additional title in the near future?

All the best,

Duane

rich

Postby rich » Sun Nov 10, 2002 8:42 am

Name: rich
PAB,
Yes, it was me that had high praises for Shadowlands. I am still trying to find the time to read the Blue Rose Trilogy and I will let you know my thoughts.

In the meantime, I am starting through the DV hardcover and I think it must be wonderful to have been involved with that project. Wonderful, meaning, yeah, there's a lot of writer's out there and there's a lot of written stuff out there, but to have something anything be a legacy a worthwhile legacy to a genre, fuck that, to a literature that 100 hundred years from now people will point to and say "We are where we are in literature, in part, because of this."

I mean...That's gotta be something. Yeah, there's prizes and recognition, but to truly be part of the creation and be the creator of a book that will LAST has gotta give (gave) the editor and the authors pride that their work will be looked at not by the sycophants and the "sci-fi" geeks, but those that know good art and literature and those that are aware that few of these types of books come along in one's lifetime.

I don't often gush as it's not my nature, but Harlan Ellison, if found to be molesting collies on Sundays, 'tatooing' the Sistine Chapel's ceiling while on a pogo stick, tripping old ladies and taking their purses, will still be remembered as a good man and thanked because of this anthology. That, my bruthas, may not be as good as it gets, but it's pretty damned close.

Ok, enough with the praise. I'm breaking out in hives.

BillGauthier

Dangerous Visions...

Postby BillGauthier » Mon Nov 11, 2002 5:32 am

Name: Bill Gauthier
I'll openly admit that I don't have the 35th Anniversary Edition and haven't even looked for it. This time of year, everyone screams at me for buying anything because the big X is coming, and god help anyone who gets himself a XMas present before Xmas! But I digress...

I just read DV early this year. Had found a copy in a used bookstore several years ago and had it sitting on my shelf, roughly at eyeline, so that everytime I walked by it with a different book I'd look at it and felt guilty. I finally HAD TO pick it up and read it.

Now, the dangers of picking up something that has been so talked about, so loved, for so long is that at some point it seems that the "classic" status weighs the book down and it never seems as good as what people have said. Not so with DV. I was knocked out by the majority of the stories. And while the "danger" of some of those stories has subsided since they came out (some ten years before I was born), after all, DV opened the door to "dangerous" topics, many of the stories still pack one helluva punch.

I agree with Rich wholeheartedly about DV. I'm hoping one of the packages under some tree this year is a copy of DV:35 (my wife has the nifty colored card sent out by HERC in her pocketbook). If not, things could really get...dangerous.

David Silver

Question for Harlan about

Postby David Silver » Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:59 am

Name: David Silver
Harlan, I'm puzzled over a message you left here a couple of weeks ago. I didn't pay close attention to it at the time, probably because I was exasperated by its content, but something about it has gnawed at the back of my mind ever since.

You informed us that a certain film industry person now had the rights to "I, Robot", that some sort of cinematic production was imminent, that they admitted having a copy of your book at their disposal (I'm assuming you meant a copy of your "I, Robot" screenplay), but they were NOT using your script. Okay...but wait a minute! "I, Robot" is a collection of connected short stories, when taken together arguably one of Isaac Asimov's greatest contributions to science fiction, but NOT a singular tale that would easily render itself to film treatment. Vignettes, talking heads, plays on the interpretations of the three laws of robotics, yet hardly providing potential big screen continuity. With Asimov's blessings, it was YOU who took the best of those stories, weaved them around the mystery of Susan Calvin's pursuits and motivations, and brought them to life with a powerful central narrative and riveting plot. Without YOUR story, without the influence of YOUR connective thread through Susan Calvin and the evolution of robotics, exactly what "I, Robot" are these folks intending to make? Especially after they admitted having your book in their library! Are they going to hire some hack to write a new script altogether (and "humanize" Susan Calvin into "Doris Day" or some other such horror?), was there an alternative screenplay already floating around (and where did they get the rights to do that?), or are they thinking they can simply "reinvent" what you have already perfectly penned? It seems to me that without YOUR treatment and vision, there is no "I, Robot" story on which they could base a film!

Please, if this topic raises your blood pressure too much, I perfectly understand and don't wish to trouble you further. Simply tell me, "No, David, thanks for caring, but I'd rather not go there." Subject closed. But if you're willing to speak out a bit on this odd turn of events, I admit to heightened curiosity in the matter and would appreciate learning your opinion on the direction they may be taking in this project, especially after their reference to your book.

(Just curious, I was playing the "casting game" with several screen writing friends recently, and I'd like know if you think Helen Miren would make a good Susan Calvin in your treatment? If not, who do you see in the part? In this regard, have you ever written a character with a particular actor in mind?)

Best wishes, and many thanks for your time and consideration.

David Silver

Faisal A. Qureshi

"I, Robot & Alex Proyas"

Postby Faisal A. Qureshi » Tue Nov 12, 2002 3:32 pm

Name: Faisal A. Qureshi
David,

A brief history concerning the current state of "I, Robot".

"Hardwired" was an original script written by Jeff Vintar thats been in development hell for quite some time. It had already been passed around until Alex Proyas stepped on board to direct.

Somewhere during the development of the script, it was decided to make it part of Asimov's Robot universe.

For a more comprehensive history of the project, please go to:

http://www.corona.bc.ca/films/details/hardwired.html

I liked Proyas previous film, the under rated 'Dark City' and I will also be looking forward to this production.

FAQ

Melissa

Bringing in new fans

Postby Melissa » Sat Nov 16, 2002 9:58 am

Name: Melissa
Hi Harlan,
I've been in love with your work for a long time, and now I'm lucky enough to be able to introduce a whole new generation to you. I'm a creative writing teacher in a public school in Pennsylvania, and every semester when we get to short stories and are sharing what we think are the best, I bring in one of yours, often "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream." I only read the first page, and the kids are fascinated. Then I have to duck under the desk at the end of class to avoid being trampled by kids rushing me to borrow the book to finish the story! Thanks for being there, and know that your work continues to find new readers. (Like you didn't know that anyway!)

Velvet

Regarding The I, Robot Gossip Posted Here

Postby Velvet » Sat Nov 16, 2002 8:44 pm

Name: Velvet
Er, not to piss on anybody's parade, but I wouldn't swallow anything that comes from that Corona site without a large chaser of salt, preferably the ice-dissolving kind. This is a fan-run site out of BC that's been around for almost ten years, and relies (or at least used to rely) almost solely on anonymous email "tips". Just food for thought, and consider the source. I mean, it may be true, I'm not up on the whole discussion here in the pavilion, but I wouldn't completely accept anything that came from this site without a lot of heavy fact-checking first. I remember a lot of it used to be wild pie-in-the-sky speculation, if not out-and-out deliberate misdirection, and generally nothing really substantive.

Hope that helps.

Velvet, ashamed of these out-of-work grad students in BC who get their kicks by starting web sites like these....

Faisal A. Qureshi

Corona

Postby Faisal A. Qureshi » Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:02 am

Name: Faisal A. Qureshi
Velvet,

Your comments are noted and in Corona's defence, they have provided a lot of good information on both small and large scale productions. Some of them I have been very familiar with (though I don't leak this information out) but I have found them them to be very reliable and refer to them as much as I do to my copies of Screen International, Screen Daily or Filmlog.

I don't know the people who run Corona, the impression I get from their website though is they do spend time trying to find if the information given out is correct. When they have been wrong, they quickly withdraw the statement along with giving an apology.

In conclusion, I believe your too harsh on them.

FAQ

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”