Where is Duane?

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

Duane

Where is Duane?

Postby Duane » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:18 pm

Right here. The Webderland has never left my heart. However:

* A new job after 2.5 years of no job (Web analytics at a branding and advertising agency called Creative Channel),
* Marathon training, and I can't believe I'm putting myself through THAT again, but trust me, that's where the action is,
* Advanced C# and web dev classes at UCLA, one class this quarter, but it's a doozy, requiring my attention nearly every evening,
* Writing, usually in the early AM, especially now that I have some semblance of balance and security again, because the whole starving artist line is utter crap,
* And various other sundries that I can finally pay attention to now, including this place...

But I am here! (When I _can_ be...)

Douglas Harrison

Re: Where is Duane?

Postby Douglas Harrison » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:13 pm

Hey, Duane, glad to hear about your new job. I hope it's interesting work.

Begone, wolf at the door!

D.

Tim Raven

Postby Tim Raven » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:14 pm

Duane, it's a relief that you found steady income, I went through the exact same thing and your're right, the starving artist thing is crap!
Good luck on the current endeavors, and hope to hear from you!

Tim

Duane

Postby Duane » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:55 pm

Apologies AGAIN for being away so long. Went through a couple of job changes (Creative Channel was a contract job that didn't go permanent, and I took on a stop-gap job doing data entry for a petition drive for a few months in Culver City), but after five months at my NEW new job -- I've finally scored a 'permanent' position.

I work at (of all places) a Jewish temple here in Los Angeles in their IT department. It's not just a temple; it's not one, not two, but three schools as well, with a community center attached, so there's a lot to do. It's a good place to grow and develop some skills over the next few years.

This probably deserves its own post at some point, but I consider myself one of the lucky ones. I was laid off in 2008, went through 99 weeks of unemployment and my entire 401k except for about $2000, and in general thought my working life was over. I was 50 years old, looked and felt 35, and believed that without some form of intervention, I was simply going to become a hermit living on the fringes of society. It took pretty much all the self will I could muster to not give up on myself, and ultimately that's what saved me. (Of course, having a supportive family, friends and faith had a hand as well, though one of those three has taken a 'righteous' beating over the last few years. Ahem.).

I'm grateful for a recovering economy, great health, great support, and the opportunity to reinvent my day job by taking applications programming courses at UCLA on the government's dime via the Workforce Investment Act. And in a way, I feel I've been reborn, been given a second chance to live my life the way it SHOULD be lived. I remember those days pre-recession at my previous job knowing I had to make a move to get out of my rut, but simply not pulling the trigger. "Oh," I thought, "for an extended period of unemployment so I can drift around and figure out what to do." Well, sheeyit, as Gramps used to say. In being brought down to the lowest point ever in my life, I discovered a passion for my life. I took up, of all things, marathon running. I began taking writing classes, and in doing so, met a terrific group of fellow writers who are right around our age and truly amazing people (a graphic novel colorist, a retired Beverly Hills police detective, a member of the cast of Revolution, a young woman who was told by an industry executive that her writing would make Mel Brooks laugh, among others). I'm so lucky that I have this chance, right now, to live a meaner, stripped down, passionate life doing with confidence everything that I was meant to do.

If there's any advice I could have given to myself ten years ago, it would have been 'do SOMETHING.' It took my livelihood, my entire life savings, and nearly my entire piece of mind. But I finally listened.

And thank all of you for being here! -- Duane Waite

Tim Raven

Postby Tim Raven » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:54 pm

Duane, glad to hear from you again.Going to a slave job everyday sucks, but being broke is worse!

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:02 pm

Duane good to hear from you! Please do post about your experiences. I would love to read about it.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Duane

Postby Duane » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:10 pm

Ezra, are you on facebook, by chance?

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:03 pm

Ezra, are you on facebook, by chance?

No I'm not. I guess I'm one of those people who is hesitant to take the plunge.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Return to “Webderlanders”