Breakpoint

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

breakpoint

Breakpoint

Postby breakpoint » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:10 am

Hello, I'm Orson Welles.

No, wait, that's not right. Actually, I'm Matt "Breakpoint" Heck, software engineering consultant and general mode-depecher. With any luck, also science fiction author, but I'm published yet (oh, the humanity). I'll be poking around in here from time to time, but I thought I'd let you know what you can feel free to ask _me_ about, if it's helpful for a story you're working on, or you just need some brain candy.

Basically, the main things I spend my "day job" doing for people are:
1. Showing them how to fold, spindle, and mutilate "virtual machines"-- simulations of real computers and the programs they run-- by being able to snapshot them, revert them so they can't even tell they were ever different, move them to different host machines, etc., in ways that are totally transparent, and pause and resume them months apart when they can't even tell any time has elapsed.
2. Making complicated revision-control systems work, including branching, mergine, and conflict resolution.

As we (the human race) get closer and closer to digitizing the instantaneous state of a human brain (or at least SOMETHING'S brain), and simultaneously, in parallel, edge towards "real" A.I., these capabilities and their ilk have all sorts of crazy and fascinating implications for conscious beings, their tormentors, life, the universe, and everything.

So, if you've got any questions about that kinda stuff-- shoot!

Cheers,
Matt "Breakpoint" Heck
Oakland, CA

breakpoint

Re: Breakpoint

Postby breakpoint » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:11 am

Excuse me, that should read, "NOT published yet". I'd swear I proofread that...

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:34 pm

Welcome, Matt!

Always god to greet anew voice in our midst.

I am, apparently, moderator-for-life around these parts. Few rules, mostly regarding being personally nasty or insulting, that sort of thing.

Glad you're here.

Steve B
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:15 pm

Barber: "Always god to greet anew voice in our midst." Please explain. :lol:

Breakpoint: I think what our modest moderator meant to say is that it is always GOOD to have another voice in these parts.

Nice to know I'm not the only Bay Arean who is an HE fan. I've been wanting to start a get together of sorts of Bay Area fans.. Would you care to join?

Welcome to the monkey house. Don't be a stranger!

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:18 pm

Got to stop posting before that first cup of coffee in the morning. Thanks for catching, Lori!!
:oops:
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:05 pm

Welcome, breakpoint. Hope you enjoy yourself. For all practical purposes, Barber might as well be god around these parts. (Ssshhhh. Don't tell Wyatt or Ellison. Their feelings would be hurt.)

Return to “Webderlanders”