Greenthings and Salivations!

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

Kris Nelson

Greenthings and Salivations!

Postby Kris Nelson » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:57 pm

Hi everybody! Kris Nelson here - you may have seen me popping up every now and then on the Pavillion. Thought I'd go ahead and register here. Don't want to post this on the Pavvy, but I am in the midst of writing the biography of a band called the Legendary Pink Dots. If none of you have heard of them, they are an underground psychedelic band that celebrated their 30th anniversary last year! Anyways, here is my blog following things:

http://mythographer.tumblr.com/

Their lead singer, Edward Ka-Spel is inarguably a genius and is a big fan of Harlan Ellison (one of the things that drew us together) and actually has incorporated some Harlan-esque ideas into their music. For instance, there's a song called "Eight Minutes to Live" inspired by Harlan's "480 Seconds" as well as some others, and other references to authors like Bradbury ('sipping dandelion wine") etc. If you are interested in sonic exploration and artfully psychedelic lyrics then checking them out is a must! Edward (and I) also site Theodore Sturgeon, Robert Sheckley, and Keith Roberts as favourites. (I do not know if anyone here has read "Pavane" by Roberts, but his whole work seems to have been lifted out of relative obscurity in recent times - "Pavane" is an alternate history novel and quite wonderful!)

I am self publishing this book through lulu.com - I hope to find an actual publisher at some point but for now I am setting up a pre-order system with the band and their fanbase. This is my first biography, and my first big (paying) project. Anyone else here written a biography?

-Kris

Ezra Lb.

Re: Greenthings and Salivations!

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:37 pm

Kris, yeah I know LPDs! I've not followed them tightly over the years; before the Internet it was hard to find their stuff over here outside the major urban nuclei. But Crushed Velvet Apocalypse is one of my favorite albums, especially 'Green Gang' and 'New Tomorrow'.

Interesting that Ka-Spel is a fan of HE. I've always wondered what kind of audience HE has in the UK and in Europe.

Never written a bio but if I did it would be HE since we probably aren't going to get a autobio from him (other than his work of course).

Good luck!
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Kris Nelson

Re: Greenthings and Salivations!

Postby Kris Nelson » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:07 pm

Hi Ezra! Great to see someone else is a fan of HE and LPDs. Really, the two seem to compliment each other quite well... :)

Crushed Velvet is quite the work - possibly my favourite recording of theirs! They've just re-released it remastered.

There was some trepidation on my part that they were so well represented by the lyrics/music that a biography would be redundant, but I think I've overcome that and realised why having one is a good thing.

Thanks for the luck!

Return to “Webderlanders”