Hi sailor, like my dress?

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

The Vicar

Hi sailor, like my dress?

Postby The Vicar » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:42 pm

Never been here before, and am stopping in because I've heard that Harlan is feeling poorly and I am worried.
Why?
I've been lucky enough to meet the man twice. On one occasion he bought me lunch, although I doubt he would remember it that way. It's a complicated and labyrinthine tale, but I swear by Harlan's typewriter it is true. The reason I met him twice was because he used to tour colleges in the 1970s, performing the literary service of prying the scales from the eyes of the blinded, sometimes against their will and accompanied by a great deal of hair pulling and jumping about. Frederick Douglas once wrote that one should "agitate, agitate, agitate" and I do believe Harlan, more than any other writer I can conjure, lives for that.
And so we get I Have No Mouth & I Must Scream. We get The Glass Teat. We get his famous columns. We got his lectures on college campuses, or him holding forth in book stores. We got Shatterday, which is, in this reporters humble opinion, simply brilliant.
How can I thank him?
By begging him not to leave. Not yet. Selfish? You bet. Somewhat dim witted of me? Likely.
But I can't picture a world that doesn't have Harlan Ellison in it. I don't want to. I know I will have to.
One day.
But not yet. Not yet.
I'm still recovering from losing Vonnegut. Call me overly sensitive, but I do believe that a man can only absorb so many body blows at the same time without permanent damage. As a writer, Harlan has been the Gold Standard in my book. I wish I could somehow say all this to him. I wish I could say "it was a privilege to meet you, old friend".
Every generation gets the writers they need, the ones they deserve. We got to read some real treasures in the 60s, 70s and 80s , and its comforting to say, paraphrasing a bit out of Troy, "Let them say I lived in the time of Ellison, stalker of nightmares...".

Chuck Messer

Re: Hi sailor, like my dress?

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:11 am

Evening, Vicar! Welcome to the Webderland forums. You might want to stop by the Art Deco Dining Pavilion and say hello. That's where Harlan will pop in from time to time if he's not busy or feeling poorly.

I have it on good authority that no less a personage as Ray Bradbury has stated "I love Harlan! He can't die!" In fact, he ordered Harlan not to die.

And he ought to know. He's giving Methuselah a run for his money. And how can you not obey Bradbury?

I envy the fact that you got to meet Harlan a couple of times. Many posters here know him well.

Enjoy the monkeyhouse and don't feed the fungoes.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Chuck Messer

Re: Hi sailor, like my dress?

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:13 am

Oh, and here's the link to the Pavilion:

http://harlanellison.com/heboard/unca.htm
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Return to “Webderlanders”