Greasings and Salivations

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

RocRizzo

Greasings and Salivations

Postby RocRizzo » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:30 pm

Hi,
I just wanted to introduce myself. I am Rocco, a long time reader of Ellison. I think I was introduced to his work with, "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream," but who knows. It could have been one of the TV shows that he wrote in the 60s, as I was allowed to stay up late and watch the Twilight Zone, and then The Outer Limits. Come to think of it, it could have been earlier, but my childhood memories are little more than a dull haze, and I'm only 55. So much for growing up in the 60s.
I live in the scenic Hudson Valley, about 100 miles north of NYC. I moved up here about 30 years ago, because I dreaded being a strap hanger on the subway. I despised having to sniff armpits twice a day, in sardine cans that roamed both under and over the City. It's been a long strange trip, but it's a nice area. Except for the rednecks, but I guess that they are everywhere these days. You know, the mindless people who believe that Fox actually broadcasts unbiased news, and NPR is some left wing radio station. You know, the ones with the big trucks, so pristine and aglow in shine that you need sunglasses when they are in front of you, and the sun is behind you. The ones with one person inside of them, and no cargo. If you look at the bed, it has never held cargo, but is about as shiny as a newly purchased CD.
I have been looking at a few conversations here, and see that there is still some intelligence on this planet, and thought I might communicate with it. Also seeing that it bears the name of one of my favorite authors of all time, I might find some comradery here.
I work as a network technician for a local county government, and have been for over 20 years. It pays the bills, and I am good at fixing little electronic things. It's just a natural talent. I guess I was born with a soldering iron in my hand. Not that I have soldered anything lately. It's all done with software. Software that might be better written by baboons, or bonobos, because it surely doesn't work when it's written by humans. You know the stuff. The software is made to be broken, hardware rarely breaks these days.
Well, I do read a lot, and despite the fact that I think that things are awful in the good 'ole US of A, I do help my local community, by volunteering to do this or that for people in my town, who are worthy. Point being, I can get rather busy, and may not get back here to check this place out, but I will eventually, at some point in time. It could be tomorrow, it could be several months from now, but I will attempt to see what other rantings or ravings are going on.
And not to worry, I have thick skin, and can take criticism. But mind you, I can dole it out as well. So don't be afraid to let me know how you feel, I surely will not hold back my feelings to you.
Take Care for now
Rocco
Rosendale, NY
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

Site Admin

Re: Greasings and Salivations

Postby Moderator » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:14 pm

Welcome to the Monkey Bin, Rocco. Nice introduction, and i can tell your voice will be a welcome addition. How did you happen upon this little neck of the woods?

Otherwise, the usual caveats -- be nice, be intelligent, give better than you get, and watch out for Frank.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:22 am

Barber,
I happened upon this site a long time ago. I just never signed up. I recently got more interested after reading some of the Ellison Hornbook, and thought it was time to pay a visit here. I am on a few other forums, not related to Ellison, or any other author. Some technical, some social. I have been on these type of boards forever. I helped run an old style BBS back in 1985, here in the Hudson Valley, so I am quite familiar with the format.

I will do my best to keep it civil, though some may take my sarcasm as lack of civility. Such is life.

I got the Hornbook as an e-book, on one of the first E-book sites, Fictionwise.com. They have been around since the first Palm Pilot was around. They knew that only nerds, geeks, and technoweenies were the ones who were purchasing these devices, so they started their e-book site with mostly short stories of fantasy, and sci-fi genres, mostly. Ellison's work has been there since the beginning. I keep a copy of "Repent Harlequin" with me all the time, along with many others.

This site has been around for some time. I have been here from time to time, just to see what is going on. Recently I found out that our Dear Author, in his aging state, is no longer doing conventions, or signings. Distressed by this, I recently purchased a copy of The Essential Ellison, the 50 year compilation. It is out of print, so I purchased a used one, autographed, for a premium. I am distressed by this, in that I may never be able to tell an author who has had some influence on my life, since I was in Jr. High School, just how much I appreciate his work. Not that he's a god or anything like that, but merely a human being, who has been able to help me justify my path in life, with his writings.

So this moron at work tells me, why'd you spend so much money on a damn book. I simply told him that the author is in his 70s, and it is an investment. Nothing like lying to the idiot. I NEVER intend to sell the thing. Not to mention, I have probably read about 90% of the stories in it.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:19 pm

Welcome, Rocco. It is a pleasure to read posts which are as literate and intelligent as yours. This is a wonderful place with marvelous folk. Welcome and enjoy. Diane

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:15 pm

diane bartels wrote:Welcome, Rocco. It is a pleasure to read posts which are as literate and intelligent as yours. This is a wonderful place with marvelous folk. Welcome and enjoy. Diane

Thanks Diane. I hope that I can have intelligent interactions here. I am getting tired of the other boards, where the mindless manage to infiltrate, and ruin it for everyone.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:53 pm

Rocco, welcome. I look forward to your contributions in some our discussion threads

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:27 pm

Welcome Rocco

As long as you can give our resident weirdo, Frank, the benifit of the doubt; you should get on just fine.

One personal question, you aren't Italian are you? Those and blacks are the only people I know of who name their kids Rocco. But then again I could be wrong. Wouldn't be th first or last time that has occurred.

Lori

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:36 pm

Lori,
I am only 1/2 Italian... The other half is Heinz 57 Varieties.

If Frank is even only half as weird as you people say he is, we should be good buddies. You know, birds of a feather and such.

I don't even use the cliche "Drive me crazy," any more, because it's only a short walk... Even a couple of steps at times.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:02 pm

Welcome, Rocco, to the Museum of Timeless Oddities. Over here, we have the Cove of Shipwrecked Avatars, over there the Vault of the Nameless Trollbats. Securely locked, mind you. Securely locked. Bolted. Welded shut. Buried in concrete. Sealed inside are names that are never to be mentioned.

You seem to have met this "Frank" everyone speaks of, but I think he's only a legend. Albeit one with a voice.

You might also have a cuppa at the Art Deco Dining Pavilion, where the writer himself will occasionally pipe up with something clever, or perhaps Moe-slap any stooges who get rambunctious or outa line.

And remember -- you can check out anytime, but you can never leave.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:48 am

*looking at the 'thing' that is using my friend Chuck's name and avatar*

Ok, that's just one too many pop references for you to be the REAL Chuck, so I kindly ask you to return the original in at least as good shape as you found him please.

If you are a kind creature, you'll send him back better than new, but I'm not gonna hold my breath on that one. Blue really isn't my best color after all.....

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:07 am

Welcome Rocco! Had a friend when I was in high school who lived in your neck of the woods (I'm a Catskill boy myself - village of, even.) Come sit a spell.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:33 am

Lori -- too...out there? I'm a pop-culture kinda guy. I was feeling a bit impish, is all and wanted Rocco to get a good, Webderland howdy!

And maybe I'm feeling a little cRaZy.

But they'll never put me in Alkatwaz!

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:16 am

FinderDoug wrote:Welcome Rocco! Had a friend when I was in high school who lived in your neck of the woods (I'm a Catskill boy myself - village of, even.) Come sit a spell.

Thanks Doug,
I am originally from Brooklyn. I moved up here in 1980, not wanting to smell people's armpits on the subway twice a day. I live in Rosendale, the poor man's Woodstock, and work in Poughkeepsie.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:59 am

I was an upstate boy for the first 21 years of my life, but the family roots went down into Yonkers, the Bronx, Manhattan and Long Island. Post-upstate, I've bounced from the Southern Tier to Texas to the Southern Tier to the Virginia/DC area and now to Texas again. As I remember Rosendale (and the memory is three-decades old now), it was pretty typical upstate-small-town. I've been to Woodstock more recently, and it's pretty much a main street and a long reputation these days, at least as it looks from driving through.

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:25 pm

Doug,
In 30 years, all but two of the bars, Fanns, and the Pharmacy are gone. We are working on getting a grocery in town, though a Dollar General moved into Fann's Plaza. The Theater is still there. The family that ran it for over 50 years sold it to a collective of locals. We are working to make it the Radio City Music Hall of the Hudson Valley. Much smaller, but we will have stage shows, theater, music, and movies. I've been volunteering to learn how to run the 35mm projector, for the past month or so. I have been spending weekends helping installing and getting the bugs out of the digital projector, and new surround sound system. I guess it's a holdover from when I was a kid, and was on the AV squad in jr and sr high school.
The old Recreation Center was rebuilt about 10 years ago. It's a nice modern building with geothermal HVAC, and the pavilion outside has solar panels that cost us virtually nothing. We are a town that cares about the environment, but not only talks the talk, we walk the walk.
I am so glad that I can live in this bastion of Liberalism, as there are so many conservative rednecks all around.

Return to “Webderlanders”