Hello, hello.

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

Anne-Laure

Hello, hello.

Postby Anne-Laure » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:30 am

Well, I figured I'd finally post an introduction since I'm not too busy right now.

So, hi! My name's Anne-Laure, but feel free to shorten that however you like. I'm 19-years-old, Christian, stand at 5'7", and I'm currently studying art in college, because... well, I'd love to draw comics or illustrate whatever comes my way someday. I've been drawing since I could hold a pencil. It's just such an easy way for me to communicate, but, of course, there will always room for improvement.
The sad thing is that I can't say I'm entirely fluent in English writing. From first grade to my freshman year of high school, I was enrolled in a French-speaking school back in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. I read French classics as well as various other classics from around the world. I had to write short stories in French. We had weekly dictation tests in class. It was great! Despite how strict my instructors were, I actually felt like I got something out of my classes.
Aaaaand then my family moved to the US.
When you were so used to seeing students reading Kafka's works or Camus' L'etranger in the 6th grade... seeing my classmates in high school read shit like Twilight and Eragon didn't give me the best first impression. Actually, any 'young adult' book made me want to punch everyone's teeth in, and I didn't hide it. And why should I? I came to realize that schools here didn't care about what you read as long as you actually read something.
Yeah, I was disgusted, and somehow that turned me off of reading for a few years. A stupid move on my part, really. However, in my spare time, I tried writing in English. As you can all probably tell, my writing is odd. I'm not used to writing stories in English, but DAMMIT I'M STILL GONNA TRY. It can be a relaxing pastime for me when I'm in the mood, and I find that there are moments when my ideas work better as short stories then they would as comics. I just need to practice more.

Now, how did I come across Ellison's work? Last semester, I decided to take a couple of literature-oriented classes: Mythology and Sci-Fi. Mythology was complete shit, but I loved my Sci-Fi class. I got to read all sorts of things I would have most likely looked over. Unfortunately, we were running out of time towards the end of the semester, so one of the short stories we briefly looked over was "Repent, Harlequin!" Said the Ticktockman. I was interested in looking up other stories by Ellison, but... I never got around to it since I had a fairly busy summer, until this past month. Several people told me that I'd probably be into I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream, and I was. I loved it. It really made me want to check out his other works. I recently ordered Shatterday and, well... I had to buy the game adaptation of I Have No Mouth. I find his stories to be inspiring, not only as a writer but as an artist. That's always a plus for me!

So... here I am. Go me. Now, I'll just get back to lurking.

Lori Koonce

Re: Hello, hello.

Postby Lori Koonce » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:17 pm

OMG Anne-Laurie

If all people your age were like you, I'd have more hope for the next generation.

Welcome, and BTW your English is better than some people who are native speakers.

And quit your lurking, we value all voices on this side. Just be polite, and all will be well.

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:07 pm

Bienvenue, madame Laure, la terre des bibliophiles. Profitez de votre séjour et j'espère que vous parlez beaucoup, de préférence avec une grande régularité.

Also, holy crap, is there such a thing as a Sci-Fi Class?! And if there is, is out of my country? Because I want sign up, pronto!

K.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:13 pm

Anne-Laure -

Welcome. As Lori notes, your voice is most welcome.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:34 pm

Hello Anne-Laure,

Welcome to the HEBB! :) I've become a lurker of late, but used to post more frequently. What are you reading currently? We are all bibliophiles, and I think Mr. David Loftus holds the record for books read. You will find Mr. Steve Barber to be a wonderful moderator, and Lori and Kafkahead have already introduced themselves.
My favorite collection of HE's stories is Strange Wine. Have you read it yet? :)
Looking forward to seeing more of your posts.
Kind regards,

Gwyneth
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:19 am

Welcome, Anne-Laure!

We love new blood, and the fact that you're young and female is a real plus here. Far too many of us are older guys getting a little long in the tooth. That you're grumpy about a lot of North American ways only makes you a perfect Ellisonian.

Your English is far better than adequate, based on your introduction (certainly much better than my French, though I managed to limp through French West Africa -- Mali, Mauretania, Senegal -- for a few months many years ago).

Don't lurk; speak up!
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:07 pm

Anne-Laure,

Welcome. It is always a pleasure to have another voice here, and I must compliment you on your English. If you had not said that it was not your native language I woudl never have been able to tell.

We have a lot of free-ranging discussions here and I for one would love to hear your thoughts on various subjects, including the literature section of the forums

All the best,

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

cynic

Re: Hello Again

Postby cynic » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:56 pm

anne l.,
nice pic., you're killin' me.
Hello Again (The Cars)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNyCn15B2F4
good tune
follow your bliss,mike

Return to “Webderlanders”