My letter to the world

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

diane bartels

My letter to the world

Postby diane bartels » Mon May 31, 2010 2:06 am

I have actually never done this. So, got big ole glass of Zinfandel, might as well - Here goes!

Me. 5'7'' ahem lbs. brown hair, greenish brown eyes. Glasses. Not 16. Vaguely remember seeing JFK's funeral on TV.

Learned to read young. Been doing it ever since. If written material cannot run away fast, I read it. Been scribbling stories and poetry since about 8. Do not yet have balls or drive to try publishing, or workshops. Do not take rejection well.

Been in Chicago, the city proper and burbs since birth. Eldest of 6 kids, 4 boys and two girls. My brother Mike died in 04. Drug overdose, probably deliberate. He was one of the most talented visual artists I have ever seen. Self taught. Was into metal music. Could draw things from the albulm covers that looked better than the original.

My parents are both gone too, mom in 02, dad in 06. My aunt Dolores died in 03. All cancer or its aftermath. The 00's kinda sucked.

I have never been married. Was engaged once for a long time to a sweet man named Paul. He could not overcome his drug and alcohol addiction. We broke up. He passed away. Went a touch wild after that. Many relationships with no past and no future. Occurred to me a couple few years ago that I do not do relationships well. So I stopped.

No children. My younger sister Karen has three - Vincent, 18, whom I have posted about here. He is one of the most amazing people I know. Rachel, 10, a beautiful, gentle soul. And Joey, 7, a sweet smart little guy.

I have a college degree from a school no one has ever heard of, St, Xavier College, now University. Yet it was a great school when I went there and my Professors were brilliant. I was damn lucky to be there. It was a friend there who introduced me to Harlan's works. Put a book in my hands and said "read this". I did, I think it was" Love ain't Nothing.." and I then read everything I could get my hands on by Harlan. He introduced my mind to the concept that I could write like me; not because Harlan and I write a like. We don't. But because his voice is so much his own.

Meeting Harlan and Susan last year at DWST was one of the highlights and deep honors of my life. And he is sooo Harlanny it was cool.

I am still trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up. I have been to law school long enough to know I would not long survive the physical or mental strain of being a lawyer. Not to mention what it might do to my immortal soul. My degree is in English and education and I have subbed in elementary schools. A teaching certificate would seem a good plan. Yet I have this interest in the field of physical and mental rehabilitation. I had this very serious auto accident in 1985. The Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago(RIC) gave me my life back, and then they did it again last year when iIwas rearended by that truck. I would like to do that for someone. I am in Voc. Rehab. at RIC and they will help me with these issues.

I love animals of all kinds. Would also like to own a no=kill shelter one day. Have always had dogs, cats, birds. Just lost my little rats.

I like all kinds of music to a greater or lesserr extent. I am busy reconnecting to my friends I lost touch with over the years. And that is pretty much me. And now you know. DB

Site Admin

Re: My letter to the world

Postby Moderator » Mon May 31, 2010 9:01 am

Utterly brilliant, diane. Thank you.

I'm intrigued by "Yet I have this interest in the field of physical and mental rehabilitation."

This is, to me, a hugely commendable goal and life's work. I've been through physical rehab myself once or twice (nothing as dramatic as your car accidents, but painful situations nonetheless). Physical and mental rehabilitation therapy are, in my opinion, not only fundamentally important to traumatic recovery, but the people who practice it must be very special individuals indeed. If your choice is between a teaching credential and a role as a therapist, you're clearly a very giving soul.

Thank you for this little insight. I feel I know you better. Someday, some way, the wife and I will make it to Chicago -- we've been almost everywhere else in the country -- and would love to break some bread.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon May 31, 2010 12:12 pm

Diane

Thank you for sharing of yourself like that. I kinda get the feeling you don't do this kind of sharing often, and I consider it a privilege to be able to read that.

I agree with Steve, if it's a choice between teaching and therapy, you must be a very kind and caring soul. Have you thought about becoming a school therapist? Then you could combine the best of both. And skip all the work a credential takes.

Steve: You wife is a Jazz singer and you've never been to Chi town? That's like a blues fan saying the same thing ya know! 50 lashes in the eye with a wet linguine strand for you boy!

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:20 am

Diane, that was beautiful, thank you so much for sharing that with us

Lori, leave Steve alone. If he makes it to the Midwest at any point soon, Minneapolis has dibs on he and Cris first....
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:16 pm

A lovely introduction. Rich yet succinct.

Thank you.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:42 pm

Mark

I'll leave him alone, but come one ya gotta admit I am right. That's like someone who claims to like 12 bar blues never going to Memphis, or some such thing.

*giggle*

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:13 pm

(No disrespect to Chicago, but most jazz afficionados see New York as the center of the known universe -- and I think the Blues community would argue that Memphis fulfills the same role for that genre. No doubt Chi-town does itself proud, but there are many other reasons I'm bad for not having gone there yet -- a fan of impressionism, f'r instance. And an earned reputation of having traveled a fair amount -- Chicago, Portland and Minneapolis are significant domestic asterisks in my notebook. A great jazz scene is a plus, but Chicago's hardly alone if that's the criteria...)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:12 pm

Steve

Ya ought to know by now that I live for the days when I can beat you about the head and neck with strange foodstuffs.

How the heck else are ya gonna know how much I like and admire ya?

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Diane, what a lovely introduction! :) I agree with both Steve and Lori in that being a rehabilitation counselor, perhaps in a school, would be a seemingly good fit for you.

Like you, I tend not to do relationships well. Meh. Are you on friendly terms with your sibs? Was so saddened to read about your brother, and then the 'oughts sounded like a terrible decade for you. :(

My friend just adopted two rats, yclept "Dirty" and "Stinky" (Cagney fans will get this), from the local humane shelter and is delighted with their intelligence and playfulness. I had never thought of them as particularly appealing pets, (even having read "Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH" at an early and impressionable age), but having been introduced to them, I have to admit they are charming little creatures.

You are a wonderful writer and IMHO should try writing for publication. :)

Thank you for letting us get to know you better!
G.
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:18 pm

My friend, here lies the story of one life, 13 paragraphs long, no stutters or tangents (unlike my own comments... :oops: ). It is within the conciseness of her words that we find the beautiful simplicity of life. Always lovely to hear from you, Diane. My stories are my gifts to you... :D

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:00 am

Guys, thank you for all those kind words. You humble me . And to have the friendship of such great folks honors and thrills me. I learn so much here, experience so much, and have gained so much from you all. A theme of my life has been how lucky I've been to wind up with the people in my life at the various times of my life.

Kafka, thank you for your gifts to me. They are great gifts. The other day, I discovered that Northwestern University hosts a Writing Workshop every summer on the outskirts of my won Chicago. This year I doubt I can go, but hopefully next. I am not good at links, but Kafka, I'll try to get you info later on the site. Next year or the next, maybe you could attend? On your last story, I am hoping to send my thoughts in the next day or so. Life has just been busy this week and last.

Gwyn, the sibs and I have ups and downs. We are all very close, but then we ennervate each other a way whole lot. You, my dear, are much in my thoughts and prayers. Keep me posted. Love, Diane

adriane17

Postby adriane17 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:59 am

What a wonderful thread this is - quite life affirming and shows that message boards occasionally can be inspirational.

Puts my effort to shame but it is very hard to open up online.

One of the reasons I avoid Facebook and the like.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:48 pm

Hi guys and girls. This is what I did. Attended an info session at Northwestern Univ for their MFA in creative writing. Winter quarter probably wouldn't work, but i'm a gonna try for Spring.
RIC, the Rehabilitation institute of Chicago has a position open as a recreation therapy asst. PT. I qualify. Gonna try that too. This jobless state has gotta.
So in the next week, gotta write a resume for the job, a separate CV for the school (different skill sets), get my two friends/former teachers to read my creative writing and say nice things about me, persuade the schools I've attended to cough up my transcripts, buy an interview suit and pray hard. Can you guys help me pray or in case of the Ezra and co, send good vibes.

Thank you Unca Harlan, Allan Steele, Gene Wolfe, and the other writers at madcon for the inspiration. Thanks Barney and Tim, cause your hard work also inspired. Actually all of you at Madcon inspired.
Specially Harlan
Lori answering your south side question here: the South Side and the North Side of Chicago are quite different. There is a rivalry, particularly between the baseball teams the Cubs and the White Sox.
Cubs north ; South Sox. While i wish the Sox no ill, and am glad when they win, I have always kinda been more of a Cubs fan. To the dismay of my extended family ,as we are life long Southsiders.
But they deal. And it probably stems from my habitual rooting for Underdogs.

DB

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:10 am

Diane,

Let me know if you would like me to take a look at your resume and provide any tips/feedback. I work in HR and have provided resume writing help for people on this board before and as far back as my graduate school days

All the best,

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:06 pm

Mark, that would mean so much. Thank you so much. I will try to have a final draft by tonite or tomorrow. Thak you. Diane

Return to “Webderlanders”