Hello!

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

Grayson

Hello!

Postby Grayson » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:52 am

Hi all, I'm not really sure what to say here except that I'm a Harlan Ellison 'fan' and have been posting occasionally in the ADDP for a little while now. Any questions just ask. :)

Site Admin

Re: Hello!

Postby Moderator » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:37 pm

Grayson -
Welcome to the Forums. Not too many rules here, other than "no personal attacks" and no spamming. I have noted your posts and welcome your presence over on this side of the monkey bin.

We usually request a short bio, plus (maybe) how you came by Harlan's work.

Happy you decided to drop in.

Steve Barber
Ye Olde Mod
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Grayson

Postby Grayson » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:01 pm

Thanks, Steve! I've been meaning to jump over here to the forums for awhile.

A little more info: I recently graduated from college with a degree in Social Sciences. Right now I am currently in the process of enlisting in the U.S. Navy. That is, assuming I pass all of the medical checks. The decision to join up has a lot to do with just needing to get away from the area I grew up in (Michigan). Assuming everything goes well I still likely have a couple of months left before I ship out. If nothing else it has forced me to lose a few pounds.

Like so many others, I came across Harlan due to his Star Trek episode. It's hard to explain, but there is just something about Harlan's writing that keeps one coming back for more. I don't have too much else to say except that if I end up stuck on a ship in the middle of the Pacific, I might have to switch to an e-reader!

--Grayson

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:22 pm

Welcome, Grayson! Great to have any new blood, but 'specially a young 'un, and particularly somebody who'll be in active service. We have a vet or two here, I think, but many of us are prone to making casual swipes at the military. Don't let it upset your coffee, and don't take it personal. Steve Barber usually will knock us back in line, both as moderator, and as a fair-minded ex-service person (wasn't that the case, Steve? I can't remember).

My Dad was U.S. Army in Korea and my brother served in the Coast Guard and then the Navy. (I got to visit him in Okinawa.)

Don't hesitate to open your mouth on any subject you care to here. We love a good scrap, as long as everyone behaves with a basic level of mutual respect.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:25 am

Welcome to the forums! Nothing like another point of view to add to the gestalt of the place. I hope you enjoy!

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:35 am

Welcome Grayson!

David - When did your father serve in Korea? I had an aunt who was stationed at the 8167th Army Hospital Tokyo, 1950-51.

Grayson

Postby Grayson » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:35 pm

Thanks guys. I've lurked around here long enough to know not to take anything personally.

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:53 pm

Welcome, Grayson. I hope you enjoy your stay in the Ellison Webderland. Personally, It's nice to meet another new-by hanging around here. Everyone's awesome, and even the resident soapbox speaker is nice (just a tongue-in-cheek comment, Frank, just a tongue-in-cheek comment).

Return to “Webderlanders”