Kafkahead, or How I got here

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

Kafkahead

Kafkahead, or How I got here

Postby Kafkahead » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:36 am

Hey there. I'm Kafkahead, I'm 17 and a big big fan of the works of Mr. Ellison. I'm an amateur writer that writes intesively and says "Fuck you" to people who demand freebies, and all because of Harlan.

I first learned about the work of Harlan Ellison when I bought a science fiction anthology called "Masterpieces". It was fine selection of stories, chosen by Orson Scott Card, and divided into three categories: The Golden Age, The New Wave and the Media Generation. And the first story to pop up in the New Wave section was " "Repent, Harlequin!" Said the Tick-tock Man". The amusing title and description of Harlan's work was enough to catch my attention and grasp it tightly, like a boa from the jungle. I read it in one sitting. After I was done, I had to lie down...It wasn't "1984" or "Brave New World", but something along the same lines, where the very spirit of rebellion was celebrated as a source of powerful criticism against an opressive system.
No sooner was I thinking to myself "I need more of this stuff" then I managed to scrounge on the internet a PDF version of "I Have No Mouth and I must scream". Again, I read the words so carefully typed by Mr. Ellison, and gaped at the horror of the story, at the atrocities of AM and his five prisoners. This was clearly a man that knew how to move people. So I looked for more. I looked so hard, that I eventually managed to buy from amazon a copy of "Dreams with sharp Teeth". And I learned more about the man than I could ever know in a lifetime of research. It was his "Pay the Writer" rant that moved me the most, hitting that little crack in the ceiling of my mind and shattering it, so that I could begin some actual writing, instead of wishful thinking about writing. Because of him, I'm now working on three different stories and trying to find a magazine that will buy them, so I can have a source of income before I finish my Senior year. And for that, I have to say: thanks, Harlan.

As for what I might contribute in the forum, I might add sneak previews of my stories, if the admin allows me to do so (after all, they're not just for passers-by: I'm waiting for the day I'll get so see Harlan actually answering a post), or discuss themes like philosophy, Science, Religion, fiction and of course, the works of the man himself.

Nice to meet you all :D :D

Kafkahead

Re: Kafkahead, or How I got here

Postby Kafkahead » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:37 am

P.S: Sorry for the tl;dr here.

Jan

Postby Jan » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:03 am

Welcome K.!
You should re-post the intro in the Pavilion because Harlan doesn't check the threads here. Seems like something he'd enjoy a great deal.
All the best.

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:44 am

Thanks. Say, can you tell me what is the Pavilion and how I can get there?

Jan

Postby Jan » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:15 am

Art Deco Dining Pavilion http://harlanellison.com/heboard/unca.htm

You posted in the Annex which is part of the backstage area. :)

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:16 am

Kafka - What mah buddy Jan said.

Welcome to the Forum, it's always good to get a new voice amidst the chaos.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

swp

Postby swp » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:26 am

Kafkahead wrote:Hey there. I'm Kafkahead

welcome! enjoy your stay. check your sources, don't pick nits or fights, and be careful around Frank.

Kafkahead wrote:... No sooner was I thinking to myself "I need more of this stuff" then I managed to scrounge on the internet a PDF version of "I Have No Mouth and I must scream".

not cool. but read on.

Kafkahead wrote:... So I looked for more. I looked so hard, that I eventually managed to buy from amazon a copy of "Dreams with sharp Teeth".

cool. not too hard to find, really, nor is most of what Harlan has written. you can even ask for some of the work from him directly by joining HERC, and HE has been known to personalize those upon request as well.

Kafkahead wrote:And I learned more about the man than I could ever know in a lifetime of research. It was his "Pay the Writer" rant that moved me the most, hitting that little crack in the ceiling of my mind and shattering it, so that I could begin some actual writing, instead of wishful thinking about writing.

and this is why getting that other story for free as a PDF was not cool. you know better. I am not trying to come down hard on you on your first visit, believe me. but in the same breath (of typing) you mention both getting a story off the internet for free and then how much you love the "pay the writer" screed. [of course, I could be completely mistaken about how you meant "scrounge" versus "buy" above. and if I am, sorry.]

Kafkahead wrote:Because of him, I'm now working on three different stories and trying to find a magazine that will buy them, so I can have a source of income before I finish my Senior year.

good luck! seriously, you'll need it. work on perfecting your craft, learning to speak in different voices, and seeing things from different points of view. ask the question. and the one the should follow it. don't leave holes in your plots, nor your characters. be consistent. pour yourself into your work. "pull the trigger," as Haraln once said. and in the end, when you have climbed the mountain of cow flop to sniff that one perfect rose .. well, don't be surprised that you have lost your sense of smell.

oh, and don't quit your day job waiting on that first big paycheck. any of the professionals who frequent this place can tell you how hard it is to eek out a living by just writing. and there is nothing wrong with plumbing or digging ditches or repairing cars during the day so you can work on what you love the rest of the time.

Kafkahead wrote:As for what I might contribute in the forum, I might add sneak previews of my stories

we've had this discussion on here before. short answer: don't.

Kafkahead wrote:I'm waiting for the day I'll get so see Harlan actually answering a post

provided you ask something intelligent, he will. which means read the archives and don't ask questions that have already been answered.

Kafkahead wrote:Nice to meet you all :D :D

and a pleasure to hear from someone as young as you who doesn't have a head full of lime-green jello. stick around, the funs just beginning. 8)

swp
swp

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:58 am

Kafkahead wrote:As for what I might contribute in the forum, I might add sneak previews of my stories, if the admin allows me to do so (after all, they're not just for passers-by: I'm waiting for the day I'll get so see Harlan actually answering a post), or discuss themes like philosophy, Science, Religion, fiction and of course, the works of the man himself.

Kafka - Allow me to politely request that you do not post sections of your stories here or on the Pavilion.

Two major reasons:

First, we're not set up to be an effective forum for feedback of that sort of thing. Granted, all of us tend to be capable of putting two words together to form sentences, and there are some very talented professionals. But the sort of feedback you're looking for is best accomplished in a college level creative writing course. We simply can't give you much in the way of salient advice regarding your work, whereas a competent and intuitive writing teacher can do so very effectively. (If you're not going on to a university, some junior colleges have terrific classes available.) They can take the time and give your work the attention it deserves.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly: Suppose you write an excellent piece which features a beautiful land where houses grow in trees and the locals are green-skinned condo dwellers. Good on you. Now, unbeknownst to you, Tony Isabella proposes a new comic to Dark Horse which takes place in a beautiful land where buildings grow naturally and the locals are blue-skinned apartment dwellers. Six months after you post your story "The Greenies Taken Manhattan" you read that Dark Horse is publishing a new comic by Tony named "The Blue Creatures in New New York".

Both developed independently, but how would you ever know if Tony stole your idea, or how would he ever know if you copied his work?

Since we have quite a few writers (and other artists) present, I'm afraid we limit the posting of personal works. If, on the other hand, you wish to post your work on your own website and provide a link to it I've got no objection.

Copyright is a testy topic 'round here and we just want to make sure we're all above board and happy neighbors.

I appreciate you joining us, and an enthusiastic new voice is always appreciated. Keep the posts coming, and -- as noted above -- welcome to the "Monkey House".

8)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:15 pm

Howdy Kafka

You and I were about the same age when we discovered unca Harlan. Glad to know that the next generation is at least reading some good shit.

It's really easy to get HE's attention on the Pavy... Just ask a question that hasn't been answered a million and one times. My first post there was an attempt to find out who did the artwork for the illustrated Repent Harlequin.... Almost swallowed my tongue when two days later I found a response from the man himself.

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:20 pm

Well, obviously, I'm not going to ask him "Where do you get your ideas?" :P

I'd hate to give him another migraine over this dumb question. You get an inspiration for an idea, but the idea itself... It ventures away into the cosmos of our minds, birthed by something that is beyond our comprehension and into our humanoid brains. If people actually read a book or two every once in a while, they'd understand...they'd understand...Damn, can't seem to find a proper way to end that sentence.

swp

Postby swp » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:38 pm

Kafkahead wrote:Well, obviously, I'm not going to ask him "Where do you get your ideas?" :P

I'd hate to give him another migraine over this dumb question. You get an inspiration for an idea, but the idea itself... It ventures away into the cosmos of our minds, birthed by something that is beyond our comprehension and into our humanoid brains. If people actually read a book or two every once in a while, they'd understand...they'd understand...Damn, can't seem to find a proper way to end that sentence.

I think a period would do nicely.
swp

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:50 am

Welcome Kaf. Hate typing, so I hope you don't mind the abbr. Glad you found this place. Word, Frank's a velvet pussycat. I think it is cool you are so young age wise and so mature and literate. Have fun.Diane

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:55 am

diane bartels wrote:Welcome Kaf. Hate typing, so I hope you don't mind the abbr. Glad you found this place. Word, Frank's a velvet pussycat. I think it is cool you are so young age wise and so mature and literate. Have fun.Diane

Oh please, stop...You're making me blush. If anything, I'm just a newbie in the field of speculative fiction listening to one of the great New Wavers still alive and with us. Harlan's the one who's cool. I'm just learning here. :D

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:00 am

Kafkahead, I really like you. Wink.

Jan

Postby Jan » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:04 pm

Joao, I posted something for you on page 95 of the Pavilion Annex, in case you didn't see it. (It's okay, no one cares about my postings.)

Return to “Webderlanders”