Roberta Lee Tennant

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

robertatennant

Roberta Lee Tennant

Postby robertatennant » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:55 am

Hello to all in this well-lighted and warm place!

I came here originally because I viewed some of a documentary about Mr. Ellison, just a few days ago actually. I didn't see it from the start. I was fascinated and intrigued by the Author as a person.

I am not usually one to make personal contact with famous people...have done so very rarely, and usually in connection with asking permission to quote them in something I was writing. I don't become too involved with learning about their lives but pretty much tend to stick to the works and am satisfied to stop there. I think I miss a lot that way, but there it is.

I generally feel that I am an ordinary individual, just a very low-key fan whatever the media. I do admire Mr. Ellison's work and was quite taken by his personal story which I had never really heard before.

I happened to arrive at the time that Andrew Koenig was missing. Having been clinically depressed myself at one time, and having been saved by medical treatment, I was following the posts, hoping like everyone else to hear good news. I don't know any famous people personally, but I find myself so touched and so moved by Andrew's story, his integrity, his values and his fine persona as it emerges in what I read about him. The world needed him to stay longer, but I can understand that level of pain that would make it impossible.

As for Mr. Ellison--well, I have warm feelings toward him because he is such a good writer and I love to read, and his stories have been unforgettable to say the least...then "meeting" him in viewing the film I found his story and personality so enthralling, charming and compelling! I understand that he is not a person one would want to trifle with in any way, or bore, or annoy, however!

Like most folk who have been to school, I did identify with the ordeal by bullies that he endured as a child and young boy, especially since my grandson is in fifth grade and has met a very accomplished bully who has become quite a factor in his life (after having been home-schooled for a couple of years, he has had a lot of adjusting to do, and he probably finds this kid one of the biggest obstacles to his happiness right now).

And he is sensitive and intelligent and talented and it hurts to see it happening, but maybe in some cases bullies serve a purpose--to intensify whatever process creates a genius in whatever field. But if I could, I would cure bullies of their own particular sickness, so that they and their victims would not have to suffer through this awful process, whatever good might come of it...

So here I am and I find it a very fascinating place. I feel way out of my depth but that's okay. I like the feeling. In my own personal little water-world I have at one time been seen as a bit special, one of the more colorful and vocal but still smaller froggies, but I have said goodbye to all that, and now I just want to struggle toward enlightenment, which I have been told is always out of reach because if you think you got it, you ain't!

This site and the people who post here make me feel a little more optimistic about the world's level of compassion, insight and intelligence.

Roberta Lee Tennant (Debono)

Site Admin

Re: Roberta Lee Tennant

Postby Moderator » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:34 am

Roberta -
A very warm and enthusiastic hello to you. Brilliant introductory post (class, pay attention).

Very happy to see that you ventured to this side of the fence. I'm looking forward to your posts and comments.

Usually I post a reference to the rules and a warning about Frank Church, but you probably know all that already.

Welcome to the Monkey House.

Steve B
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:26 am

Hi, Roberta! :)

Welcome to the Ellison Bulletin Board! The Chaps and Chapettes here are a wonderful crew, and I think you'll grow to enjoy coming here to chat, debate and otherwise splash around.

Like you, I too have lived with mental illness (hope it's ok to phrase it that way); in my case bipolar disorder. I advocate for rights for the mentally ill disabled community. I was saddened to hear of Andrew Koenig's death. I thought that it was very brave and dignified of his parents to make a plea during their press conference for others suffering similar conditions to seek help, or for those who know them to offer a hand.

Re: bullies.
I can suggest some good websites. One really fabulous one is from Amie who an M.D. with Treacher Collins Syndrome -- an inherited cranial facial disability. Here's her website: http://www.treachercollins.org/tcs/Welcome.html In it, she talks about facing down bullies and cruelty.

Check out these sites and please do consider contacting the authorities at your grandson's school with the ideas posted to insist that they put a stop to the bullying.

http://www.stopbullyingnow.hrsa.gov/kids/

http://mentalhealth.samhsa.gov/15plus/aboutbullying.asp

http://www.bullyingprevention.org/

http://www.bullyfreekids.com/

Welcome! :D
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

robertatennant

Postby robertatennant » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:10 am

Thank you for the WW! (warm welcome)

Gwyneth, I will check out those sites asap...bless you! There's a long story, a disgraceful social battle, and an ultimate righteous conclusion behind the Sensitivity Education Classes we now have in Alameda Schools...Some people wanted to recall the school board members who supported it because it included understanding and respecting LGBT families (they gave up the recall). The SEC hasn't had much time to be implemented yet, but we all have hopes...

Steve B...Thank you for the use of the word "brilliant" in connection with my intro...it's my fave word since starting to watch Doctor Who with my grands. Made me feel well met...One question: Who or what is Frank Church? I have seen the name here but don't know why he is dangerous!

i love Water in all its forms....this is a Grecian Warm Springs with healing qualities...having a HAPPEE to be here! (Sorry--addicted to LOLSpeak...will try not to let it happen again!)

Love, Roberta

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:06 am

robertatennant wrote:Steve B...Thank you for the use of the word "brilliant" in connection with my intro...it's my fave word since starting to watch Doctor Who with my grands. Made me feel well met...One question: Who or what is Frank Church? I have seen the name here but don't know why he is dangerous!

Frank is actually a good person who occasionally goes too far in needling people. He will get under your skin if you let him. But if you take his needles with a grain of salt you'll discover he's not a bad guy, just overly enthusiastic with his arguments (IMHO). I've found boxing him in doesn't work, so you just have to let go of the topic once you become irritated.

It's become a bit of a joke 'round here to warn people about Frank when they first check in. It's meant to be humorous, and luckily Frank himself basks in his notoriety. He's our own little demon child.

YMMV.

8)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:41 am

Roberta, I don't know, they are obsessed with me. Damned if I know what it all means. They even put off their own lives wondering what makes me tick. The whole story writes itself: Frank is full of love and righteous rage. You seem to be on the angel's side, so no rage from me.

Forty Five, white male, Cincy Ohio. Temporarily doing mundane food work. Anarchist, obsessed Ellison, Prince, Chomsky fan.

I'm sure you respect the enlightenment values I represent, so we should be peachy. Have fun. Steve Evil is far from evil. He is actually sweet as pie.

Google Harlan's Nardwar interview. Harlan really lets two jerks have it.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:13 pm

Welcome Roberta

You mentioned Alameda in one of your posts. If that's the one across the Bay from SF, we are almost neighbors.

Anyways, there are two few women around here. Glad to see that one has decided to brave the testostrone overload and join us!

Lori

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:48 pm

Welcome, Roberta.

You're not out of your depth. If you take your time and speak honestly, you'll be better than 98 percent of the chat content on the Web, and just above the median for here.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

cynic

Postby cynic » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:25 pm

FrankChurch wrote: Forty Five, white male, Cincy Ohio. Temporarily doing mundane food work. Anarchist, obsessed Ellison, Prince, Chomsky fan.
"Forty Five" what frank?
inches?
not too long ago you noted your age as early 30's.
follow your bliss,mike

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:09 pm

Roberta,

welcome, always glad to have another voice added to the cacophony

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Return to “Webderlanders”