Hello From London

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

adriane17

Hello From London

Postby adriane17 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:46 pm

Hello everyone - just to say I've been an Ellison fan for thirty years or more now. I've been lucky enough to hear Harlan speak at a couple of cons here in Great Britain - Albacon 85 and the first Cult TV event in 1994. I'm sure Harlan will never forget the first and the second was probably memorable too....

Disch is another favourite of mine and the career of B S Johnson fascinates me.

Anyone in these parts know of Johnson too?

Cheers.

Adrian

Jan

Postby Jan » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:26 pm

Welcome Adrian,
I was in London two months ago. Nice place you have there. Johnson no, Disch yes. :)

Site Admin

Re: Hello From London

Postby Moderator » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:42 pm

Adrian -

Welcome to the Forums. Glad to have another voice in the di... err... choir.

Looking forward to your participation.

Steve B

Oh, and the usual warnings about flame wars and the danger of listening to Frank Church.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:47 pm

Hi, Adrian,
I was born in Charing Cross Hospital, the old one before it burned down, and am dual-national U.K. (E.U.)/ U.S.
What part of London are you from? Camden was where I used to visit my dad before he died. Like Jan, I must say "Johnson no, Disch yes." So tell us more about your Johnson! :D Erm...the writer, I mean. And not the Ben Johnson. Him we can Wikipedia to death. :wink:
Gwyneth
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

adriane17

Postby adriane17 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:24 am

Hi there all

I was born and bred in Norwich in Norfolk (a lovely part of the UK to which I return often) but have been in London since 1981. I've been living in East London for years and Walthamstow (E17) for the last few.

B S Johnson was an experimental novelist,poet and film maker. His most famous book (or infamous depending on your point of view) is The Unfortunates which is a book in 27 loose leaf sections in a box that can be shuffled and read in any order other than the first and last chapters. Another novel (Albert Angelo) features a cut out in a couple of pages so that the reader can see into the feature. Some people may know him through the film of Christie Malry's Own Double Entry of a few years back. Johnson killed himself in 1973 at the age of 40 and was probably largely forgotten until Jonathan Coe wrote an excellent biography of him - Like A Fiery Elephant. The original editions of Johnson's work are collector's items these days but Picador reissued a number of Johnson's novels a few years ago.

Incidentally Gwyneth Camden used to be one of my regular haunts back in the pre download days of music "rarities" and the organisation I work for owns the site of the old Charing Cross Hospital which is now a police station - small world!

Adrian

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:37 am

Welcome Adrian.

Its nice to see another Brit here, we are so few and far between in this little corner of the internet.

I sometimes wonder how it came to pass that the US got dibs on all the fans of quality SF. Then I see football fans and the answer is obvious. IN-BREEDING!!! LOL No, I am just kidding.

Going through London shortly, my wife and I are going to the SFX weekend in Sussex at the start of February. Sleeper train on the way down then breakfast in London then onwards again.

Anyway, enjoy your stay here and stay vocal. It keeps Frank on his toes ;)

adriane17

Postby adriane17 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:19 pm

Hi Red Dragon

There are one or two more of us fans of quality SF in Blighty - Eastercon is a good place to find fans of the written sort and parts of Doctor Who fandom - of the "classic" stuff at least - are OK. The Prisoner is also another good example - and I mean the original of course and not the "re-imagining".

Some of us quality SF fans are also football fans - I speak as a Noorwich City season ticket holder...

"Let's Be Having You!"

Adrian

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:46 am

adriane17 wrote:Hi Red Dragon
[snips]

"Let's Be Having You!"

Adrian

Ok, woah, Brit->Amurrikan translation assistance needed here. Does this mean one of you will be "knocking the other up?"

:lol:
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:40 pm

I was researching Ray Bradbury last month and came across the excerpts from a book by Disch in which he gave Bradbury's writing a right drubbing. Since Harlan and Bradbury are old pals, I've often wondered how Ellison feels about it when one writer he admires trashes another one he also admires.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:12 pm

Adriane, very good to bump into you by the books. The leatherette is a nice place to sit, sip some tea and wonder why the rain never stops pouring down bucketloads. I really adore British women, so I will be extra nice. American women don't understand the simple love that comes from a kidney pie and a pinter of the local grog.

Don't read Science Fiction, but love magic realism. Henry Miller is a personal fave.

The Conservatives there are coming to take the gold bricks away and pave in dirt roads, but beyond that, hoping all is well in the land of weeping skies. If those green fields could talk.

adriane17

Postby adriane17 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:41 pm

Delia Smith - a television cook on the BBC,the designer of the "Rolling Stones cake" and chair of Norwich City Football Club - was suitably refreshed at half time one game when The Canaries were losing a few seasons ago to go onto the pitch to shout:"Let's Be Having You!" to try to get the home fans behind the team. Needless to say it didn't work and Delia is now cursed with the catchphrase to her dying day....

Yes sadly the Conservatives seem to be on their way back. People don't remember how horrible it was under Thatcher.

Doesn't anyone on this message board know B S Johnson? No wonder one of the reasons he killed himself back in 1973 was apparently frustration at his lack of success....

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:37 pm

adriane17 wrote:Delia Smith - a television cook on the BBC,the designer of the "Rolling Stones cake" and chair of Norwich City Football Club - was suitably refreshed at half time one game when The Canaries were losing a few seasons ago to go onto the pitch to shout:"Let's Be Having You!" to try to get the home fans behind the team. Needless to say it didn't work and Delia is now cursed with the catchphrase to her dying day....

Nobody can quite take the piss out of someone like the Brits. :wink:

adriane17 wrote:Doesn't anyone on this message board know B S Johnson? No wonder one of the reasons he killed himself back in 1973 was apparently frustration at his lack of success....

If anyone would it would be David Loftus, the most well-read person I know. He's the multi-talented actor/writer/master of all trades in the "David Loftus Redux" thread, above. :)
STAR WARS (1977)

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:57 am

Now that you've put me on the spot, I'm ashamed to admit I had never heard of Johnson, or read any of his work.

But I could put together for you a pretty shocking list of familiar authors I've never read. I've read a lot, and fairly broadly too, but that doesn't mean my reading list is sufficiently adequate.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:54 am

David Loftus wrote:Now that you've put me on the spot, I'm ashamed to admit I had never heard of Johnson, or read any of his work.

D'oh! :oops: My bad, David! Adrian, what would you recommend as Johnson's best work? I'm almost through The Autobiography of Malcolm X, and am always looking for good books to read. :)
STAR WARS (1977)

Jan

Postby Jan » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:46 am

German TV (ARD) has a cultural correspondent for London
http://www.tagesschau.de/ausland/london ... ng156.html (about East End)
http://www.tagesschau.de/ausland/dossie ... ng100.html (all eps)

Return to “Webderlanders”