New here, but an old fan of HE

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

trustno1

New here, but an old fan of HE

Postby trustno1 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:11 pm

Hey folks.
Just found this site. Been a fan of HE's since the late 60's (when I wasn't supposed to be reading THAT kind of stuff), but haven't kept up-to-date in quite awhile.

At one time I was an Ellison completist, but sadly that time has passed. Sold off all of my SF and mystery (and very early Harlequin) paperbacks about 20 years ago. Actually Harlan bought some of his own books from me when I decided to liquidate. Seems his bibliographer wanted the Canadian editions for the collection. Damn, but I wish I had access to a photocopier, and could have Xeroxed the cheque.

Bob Silverberg bought a few of HE's books and magazine appearances at a convention in Calgary where I was trying to sell some inventory.

My wife and I met Harlan in Phoenix in 1978 (it was our honeymoon) when he was Guest of Honour at the World SF Convention. I'll never forget him writing a short story sitting in a plastic teepee in the mezzanine at the Hyatt Regency and sweating buckets, literally. Ahhh, the good ol' days.

Met quite a few of the oldtimers there, and a few of the up-and-comers. And Andy Offutt. Asked him about one of his pseudonymous works, but wouldn't get the title out of my mouth... after some prodding by him, I blurted out "Pussy Island". He laughed and said he never WAS paid for that reprint.

Always remember meeting one of the few (if any) Canadian writer there..... Spider and Jeanne Robinson. Great couple, and when they found out we were from Canada also, it was instant friendship.

Sorry for the long read, but it's been a while since I've really thought about the past. Hope to talk to you all in the future.

-Shaun

Site Admin

Re: New here, but an old fan of HE

Postby Moderator » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:37 am

Shaun -
The most customary of "Welcome"s to the Monkey Bin. As a long-term fan your voice is most appreciated.

Look forward to your posts.

And the most customary "watch out for Frank Church" warnings. Good guy, but will wrap you up in cellophane and sell you to the highest bidder if you're not careful.

Glad you're here.

Steve B
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:40 am

(Forgive me. I deleted the multiple posts, assuming you weren't wanting to repeat yourself. If there's something that ought to have been saved, please repost.)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Jan

Postby Jan » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:44 pm

CENSORSHIP!
Shaun, tell us your political views again tonight after Barber's sleepy time (8 pm PST)

haven't kept up-to-date in quite awhile.

Have you seen Dreams with Sharp Teeth, out on DVD?

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:45 am

Welcome, Shaun. You didn't go on for long at all.

Sounds like you go back even further than the huge bulge of codgers-in-training here that have just hit or are breathing down the neck of a half-century. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Are you still in Canada? Seems like we're getting more and more of them 'round these parts.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:09 pm

Welcome Shaun, I look forward to reading more of your posts in the future

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:50 pm

Welcome

If you just ignore the truly old codgers, *giving Mr. Loftus an extremely hard and dirty stare* you'll fit in fine here.

I too am looking forward to hearing from someone whose fanship spans a bit more tha mine is able too.

paul

Postby paul » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:01 pm

Howdy Shaun! Big welcomes and how-do-you-dos. Not to worry about your post-length; on a forum for a writer visited by writers, it's a miracle if anyone gets out under five paragraphs. That's a good thing.
Be seeing you,
Paul
The medium is the message.

Return to “Webderlanders”