Hi, Hi...

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

DHDunn

Hi, Hi...

Postby DHDunn » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:54 am

I'm a long-term HE fan (since around 1975 if memory serves), and a reader at the Pavilion for 4-5 years. Inspired by Robert Ross' moving farewell and the thoughtful words it inspired in this little community, I have decided to de-lurk and see if I can't contribute something to the conversations. My areas of 'expertise' are pianos (I work on 'em for a living) and music (in my previous life I was a performer and college music professor), most specifically western classical, contemporary (1950-present) jazz and progressive rock. Questions in that area, I could be a go-to guy. Otherwise, I'm here to learn.

Cheers!

David
Happy with what I have to be happy with...

markabaddon

Re: Hi, Hi...

Postby markabaddon » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:08 pm

David,

Welcome and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the various conversations always ongoing here in the Forums

All the best,

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Well, hello there. I am the resident anarchist. I want to warn you that this site has at least 3 tuneless metalheads swimming the shallows.

My only question: Prince, pro or con?

Jan

Postby Jan » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:18 pm

Western classical, does that include European classical? (I never heard that term.)
You should de-lurk in front of Harlan too - we can't do that anymore and he's tired of us. Mention you're a jazz expert. :)
You probably know that Steven Barber is also connected to the jazz business/art. (OK, mostly business, heheheh.)

Frank, have you ever looked at Kevin Smith's Prince anecdotes? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_cLJ19HMg

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:56 pm

(Whazzat a shot, Jan?? Huh, whazzit?)

David -
Welcome to the Monkey Bin. Glad you're delurking and willing to add to the choir 'round here. New voices always welcome (as long as they're not trolls... :wink: )

Make yourself at home, comment as you wish about any and all topics, and watch out for Frank. He's the local embodiment of chaos theory and the proverbial tar-baby when it comes to logical arguments. But he's ours and we love him. (Just never look him directly in the eyes...)

Welcome.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

DHDunn

Postby DHDunn » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:00 pm

In order:

Frank - Prince is a big thumbs-up in my book. Composer, guitarist, and performer, not to mention confounding the critics...what's not to like?

Jan - Yeah, "Western" is edu-speak for "non-Eastern", as in Euro- and American-, including the far northern and southern reaches. As opposed to Eastern, as in Asian- and Indonesian-classical, for which I have appreciation, but nearly zero knowledge. Somehow, "Euro-classical" always seemed more limiting to me.

Steve - thanks for the warning. I've a long-standing appreciation of chaos-babies. Haven't checked out Cris' sides yet, but if she's a fan of Joni, Diana, Rickie Lee, Rebecca Martin, or Patricia Barber, I think I'll be a fan eventually as well.

David

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:18 pm

Delighted, I'm sure -- not just to have another David on board, but another piano man.

Not talking about me, but my father of blessed memory -- he was a piano tuner and repairman as well as playing honky-tonk in pizza joints and light classical in restaurants. Western classical encompasses Scott Joplin too (many modern ragtime fans play him too damn fast.)

1975 is just about the time I climbed on the Harlan bandwagon, as well.

Remember everybody: Scat Happens.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

DHDunn

Postby DHDunn » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:09 am

David Loftus: always glad to hear about people who know/are related to piano technicians. Was your father self-taught, or did he go through a mentoring process? And Joplin - definitely in the western classical canon. My favorite is 'Solace', ever since the first time I heard it under Johnny Hooker's love scene in The Sting (the first movie I ever saw in a movie theatre).

Steve Barber: yeesh, I'm not sure where I came up with that particular list of five last night. Chalk it up to baseball distraction and a glass too many of a surprising Chilean merlot. I have been listening a lot to RLJ's 'Pop Pop' and Joni's 'Travelogue' lately. Lest Cris think I'm limited, of course there are also the biggies, including Ella, Sarah, and Billie, and I'm also a great fan of Shirley Horn (love 'Here's to Life') and Betty Carter ('Feed the Fire' in particular, with Geri Allen, Dave Holland, and Jack DeJohnette). Had the thrill of playing bass behind Rosemary Clooney one night back in the mid-90s, and have other great experiences with vocal jazz through teaching and performing with the arranger Phil Mattson. I'm sure we'll have things to talk about.

David

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:41 am

DHDunn wrote:Haven't checked out Cris' sides yet, but if she's a fan of Joni, Diana, Rickie Lee, Rebecca Martin, or Patricia Barber, I think I'll be a fan eventually as well.

Cris is most often compared with Diana Krall, Dianne Reeves and Tierney Sutton. We met Patricia a few months ago at the Bellevue Jazz Fest and loved her stuff. Hope you enjoy.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

paul

Postby paul » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Howdy David!

Just another voice to say welcome.
I love our Cris, but Billie Holiday is my first love.

And since I'm as tuneless as you get (my voice has been called , "... a cross between Tom Waits and a chainsaw"), that means 3¢ and a fancy 'welcome to Webderland' present. It don't mean much, but it's from the heart. I like to share this goofy stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ftld7Ohojg

Happy holidays to everyone, before I forget,
Paul
The medium is the message.

Return to “Webderlanders”