Yes, she's back....

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

The Dreaded Slaymaker

Yes, she's back....

Postby The Dreaded Slaymaker » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:37 pm

Greetings from the Northern Kingdom! I've been a fan of Harlan's for 41 years - and just realized it's been that long. Good Lord! Anyway, my brother handed me a dog-eared copy of Ellison Wonderland when I was 12 (yes, that makes me 53 - again, good lord!), and I was hooked. I've met Harlan three times. The last time was, I believe, in 1993 at the ComicCon in Philadelphia. He has ever been gracious and welcoming, contrary to some people's beliefs. He does, however, refer to me as The Dreaded Slaymaker (hence the username) and has on occasion accused me of murdering my first husband (you can't pin it on me, they never found the body...and they never will...). It's been a while since I visited Ellison Wonderland, and I must say, I've missed it. I am looking forward to fraternizing and likewise hob-nobbing with all you headcases. And - could someone catch me up a bit? What's the Keep?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:16 pm

If you voted for Bernie Sanders we can be good friends.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:21 pm

Welcome back, oh Dreaded One.

"The Keep" is a structure the Ellisons are building on the Aztec Temple. (You and I would call it an upstairs room.)

I look forward to your voice added to the choir.

(And if your last visit predated Frank, don't let him scare you.)

(Well. Too badly, at least.)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:35 pm

Except for David, I doubt anybody predated me. I was here before 9/11, I forget about the rest. Am I losing my mind?

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:35 pm

Did you go by a different moniker, 'round these here parts, before?
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

The Dreaded Slaymaker

Postby The Dreaded Slaymaker » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:35 pm

Honestly, it's been long enough, and so much has happened since, that I can't remember if I ever posted before. I used to READ the boards regularly, but life intruded...

I'm here now, though, and will try to contribute with some regularity. I figure if Harlan doesn't scare me, Frank won't either, but thanks for the heads up.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:20 am

FrankChurch wrote:Except for David, I doubt anybody predated me. I was here before 9/11, I forget about the rest. Am I losing my mind?

Thirty-four people walked through the arch before you, Frank. Admittedly, only a few still post.

But then, who could keep up with you?

Welcome, Dreaded Slaymaker!

paul

Postby paul » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:01 am

Welcome! Keep hands and feet inside the car at all times.
Yer butt can hang out all you want, though.
The medium is the message.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:28 am

I refuse to mention what I wrote way back when. Really ashamed of most of it. Damn, my illiteracy. So ashamed.

I guess I can laugh at it now. Maybe.

The Dreaded Slaymaker

Postby The Dreaded Slaymaker » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:10 pm

Of course I voted for Bernie - I think the only Vermonters who didn't were the Flatlanders who moved up here in the past couple of years and didn't understand. I was a Flatlander once, too, but I acclimatized.

Bernie spends a great deal of time touching base with his constituents, walking the streets of Vermont's cities and towns. I've seen him a number of times in Burlington, and talked to him - he's pugnacious and plain-spoken and he gets the job done, which is why we love him.

The Dreaded Slaymaker

Postby The Dreaded Slaymaker » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:11 pm

acclimated?

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:51 pm

FinderDoug wrote:Thirty-four people walked through the arch before you, Frank. Admittedly, only a few still post.

So would I be one of them?

I was on the Webderland board (the old black page topped with the immortal giant housefly, which eventually became the Pavvy) going way back, but I recall being fairly late to the party here on the phpbb/EBB.

Who else is a bloody but surviving vet from those days?
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:45 pm

Sorry - to clarify - the arch I meant was one to the threaded board upon which we're standing - I'll cop, it had the easiest stats to do a look-up with. But if we want to kick it old school Brundlefly...

I dropped a post for the first time on May 9, 1998 on the old Yellow and Black board. DTS and Alex Jay were already posting regulars, along with Barneykins; Peg first posted about two weeks after I did; a lot of good people have since come and gone on their way, along with more than a few tools (Syzygy, anyone?)

David - looks like you first posted in April, 2001, but I'm certain you were supplying Rick with reviews well before that. You're first referenced by name by a poster on December 29, 1996, but don't appear to have pressed 'Send' until much later.

Frank - You appeared 3/3/01. Harlan's reply to you on 3/4 is... aw, fuggetaboutit. Old hash.

I've been here a decade? So it's only FELT like 30 years?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:48 pm

David, I did start posting before you, but just barely. My first real post was in late 2000.

Barney, Dorman, Berman, they were there from day one.

Joseph Finn, Chris L, Scottie from Canada, Lynn; I may have scared them off.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:49 pm

Doug, find my AI review. I'm lazy..hehe.

Return to “Webderlanders”