Semi-Writer Saying Hello

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

SemiWriter

Postby SemiWriter » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:52 pm

Per the advice of Michael Mayhew, this might be the best place for me to set up the Semi Assistance Program (even though this whole process STILL is difficult to accept...)

1. For those that are in as dire straits as myself and want to give something without it costing you anything... you CAN give for free! I'm a part of Google's AdSense program--you just go and click on the ads in the blogs, or do Google searches from the sites, and each click gives me a few cents. It costs you no money, there are no obligations, and I get something like $0.02 cents each time it's done. Like anything, it'll add up over time. I've got two blogs at Blogger.com--The Richard Jeni Information Blog (http://richardjeniinfo.blogspot.com/) and the Santa Clause Fan Fiction (http://bernardtheelf.blogspot.com/ which is really only one story but, hey, I hadda put it somewhere!)--and will soon have the Semi blog up and running. Make it a part of your daily clicking habits and I'll be very grateful!

2. Again, 'cause the whole donation-aid thing going on is a little galling for me, I'm FAR more for the idea of someone helping me out by purchasing something--that way, you do good AND you get a product:

A) On Amazon.com, I'm a part of the Amazon Shorts program (go for "Losing Your Legs" and don't mess with the other two, they ARE crap), and three books listed that I published with iUniverse.com ("Nature Boy: The Unauthorized Biography of Dean Stockwell," "Gaslight in the Willows" which is a collection of short stories, and "Tied & Gagged" which is a novel that I pulled off iUniverse 'cause it never sold). And just so's ya know, I only get 20% of the book money purchase, and get 50% of the purchase on Adobe downloads for Stockwell's book. Amazon.com gives something like $0.23 to the author on each purchase.

B) On Scribd.com, I've got "Winterland" that you can purchase for $2 (I get $1.50 of that).

3. I'm a little uncertain about using my existing PayPal account (primarily for eBay sales) at this time... because I don't know how "legit" we all want to make this whole giving business. I mean, should a third party be responsible for money-gathering for this and future uses rather than an unknown amount being funneled into my stubby little fingers? But if you've got an itchy trigger-finger and you do want to donate NOW, just leave me a PRIVATE message (not on the board) and I'll give you the PayPal account email address info.

If it is later decided that another fund is set up in PayPal somewhere, I will transfer that money--and I encourage you to verify with the given party--from my old PayPal account into the new account.

===============================================

I'm big on blogging, so I have set up a blog about this whole process to keep everyone informed on how things are going for me. It won't be up for another 24 hours, but here's the link: http://semiwriter.blogspot.com/

It is as much of an ego trip as any writer's blog, but it's also to keep everyone on top with what I'm doing and to make it clear that I'm not gambling or snorting or swallowing or shopping any contributions away. No names will be used from anyone here, so as not to foster a negative attitude about who gives what, or to invoke names in a public internet arena (where, let's face it, there may be consequences in terms of unsavory 'net types hitting you up for this or that), but your deeds will be tallied! Already I've had someone purchase "Winterland," and that counts as Contribution #1--she/he is therefore the first person who has helped. Bless you, my first friend!

(a little side-bitch: I had to re-do this a few times... wish we could edit these posts after they've been posted.)

Michael Mayhew

help

Postby Michael Mayhew » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:53 pm

Semi-

"Winterland" purchased; I look forward to reading it.

Blogger ad clicked. Just my 2 cents.

"Gaslight in the Willows" examined and the first several pages perused. It looks interesting, but I wish that Amazon was giving you a better percentage. Any way to buy that one that is more profitable to you?

Expect further message via Facebook.

Wondering if you followed up KOS's suggestion per job seeking - that sounded potentially more useful then any donations.

Don't forget to forward your snail mail address to Rick so that he can share it with HE. All the things you list above are excellent, but Harlan is not a very cyber kind of guy.

MM

SemiWriter

Postby SemiWriter » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:59 pm

Thank you for the "Winterland" buy. And the Blogger clicks. Turns out it's $0.01 per click but, hey, every little bit helps! As far as "Gaslight," the percentage thing is through iUniverse; Amazon is just another outlet.

I think that HE has my mailing address stashed somewhere in that museum already, 'cause of the book thing a few months ago.

SemiWriter

Postby SemiWriter » Sat May 02, 2009 7:07 pm

In regards to Mine That Bird...

...the floor recognizes the late John Belushi.

HO-LY SHIT.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon May 04, 2009 3:44 pm

Tell us your name Semi dear?

SemiWriter

Postby SemiWriter » Mon May 04, 2009 4:22 pm

Kindly check your inbox, Senor Frank.

SemiWriter

Postby SemiWriter » Sun May 10, 2009 11:50 pm

Disregard the whole AdSense stuff above--Google AdSense closed down the account without reason in either its initial action or after my appeal.

I only made around $7 total off that stuff, anyway, money which they'll probably never pony up. Thanks for trying anyway, folks.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon May 11, 2009 7:14 am

Well, should we ever figure out how to actually get some donations sent your way, you still have that to look forward to.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

SemiWriter

Postby SemiWriter » Mon May 11, 2009 9:30 am

The ol' PayPal method would be best, contacting me through the private messages here. I was hoping there would be a separate regulating account via the Pavilion--I'm an honest person (often to the point where I often undercut myself to keep things "fair" in my mind), but it still seems AWFULLY trusting to simply forward dinero to a total stranger.

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Mon May 11, 2009 11:13 am

If you can't trust a total stranger, who can you trust? :P

However, you are not a total stranger.

SemiWriter

Postby SemiWriter » Mon May 11, 2009 11:16 am

Naw. I'm just strange.

"When you're strange... faces come out of the rain..."

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon May 11, 2009 12:42 pm

RJF wrote:I'm an honest person (often to the point where I often undercut myself to keep things "fair" in my mind), but it still seems AWFULLY trusting to simply forward dinero to a total stranger.

Trusting in what way? This isn't exactly like giving the Nigerians your bank account number and pin. I don't expect a return on an investment. (And can't afford to send you enough that it will crimp my bank account. Apologies for that...)

So it isn't a matter of trust. Since there's nothing in our actions that require it as a prerequisite.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon May 11, 2009 1:09 pm

Anybody want to send me money. I'm game.

SemiWriter

Postby SemiWriter » Mon May 11, 2009 5:11 pm

Mild example of my honesty: I found a couple of nightstands curbside that someone in my building threw out. Agreed to sell 'em for $30. Drove them to the person's residence. Took $20 instead because I didn't think they were worth $30.

Another one: doing temp work at my old job. My boss calculated an extra half-hour of work into time where I'd only worked five more minutes into that half-hour. I wouldn't take the extra money because I hadn't earned it.

THAT kind of honest self-undercutting.

Oh, and Frank says he's game. Someone wash him, please.

paul

Postby paul » Tue May 12, 2009 7:30 am

I really hope I wasn't the cause of that AdSense problem, Semi. I had your blog in a window on the desktop and when I sat down to us the computer, I'd click on the ads a few dozen times in a row. That's about all I could do at the moment, so I thought i'd do that as much as I could.
I'm gonna feel like crap if that's the case, and if so, I apologize a thousand-fold. But if you find out what happened, let me know would ya? I'd hate to do it to someone else, if ever.
~~~~~~

FrankChurch wrote:Anybody want to send me money. I'm game.

*soft growl*Suuuurrrre, Frank. Give me the address, please. :twisted:
The medium is the message.

Return to “Webderlanders”