Semi-Writer Saying Hello

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

SemiWriter

Semi-Writer Saying Hello

Postby SemiWriter » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:00 pm

I don't know how often I'll drop in here but, hey, it should be interesting!

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:06 pm

Howdy RJF --
Glad to have you check us out. Hopefully you'll find something worth contributing to, and have a good time doing it. Only one major rule, and given your introduction to Mr. Ellison you shouldn't have difficulty with it, is "Keep it Civil".

That, and make sure you get your shots before Frank kisses you. He's been known to use tongue.

Welcome to the Monkey House!
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Jan

Postby Jan » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:39 pm

Steve what makes you think we are monkeys?

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:47 pm

So . . . do you write on board semis, or just about them?
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

cynic

Postby cynic » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:56 pm

Jan wrote:Steve what makes you think we are monkeys?

perhaps i misunderstand.
steve seems to give us the benefit of the doubt that we/i may someday rise to such a level?
mike

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:09 pm

Jan wrote:Steve what makes you think we are monkeys?

What makes you think we're not?
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Jan

Postby Jan » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:31 pm

I thought the better ones here were dogs. I don't wanna be part of any monkey house.

SemiWriter

Postby SemiWriter » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:55 pm

Tsk, tsk! Such inter-kingdom fidgeting...

cynic

Postby cynic » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:24 pm

RJF wrote:Tsk, tsk! Such inter-kingdom fidgeting...

hi rjf,
is it not our nature?

JAN,"I thought the better ones here were dogs"
Diogenes believed human beings live artificially and hypocritically and would do well to study the dog. Besides performing natural bodily functions in public without unease, a dog will eat anything, and make no fuss about where to sleep. Dogs live in the present without anxiety, and have no use for the pretensions of abstract philosophy. In addition to these virtues, dogs are thought to know instinctively who is friend and who is foe. Unlike human beings who either dupe others or are duped, dogs will give an honest bark at the truth
(this from the wickedness that is wikipedia)
dogs are cool
love,mike

SemiWriter

Postby SemiWriter » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:35 am

Well! There ya go. I'm glad that's settled...

Or... something... :shock:

It's just after midnight and I'm staring at the walls, as usual.

"WRITE!" I tell myself.

"SCREW YOU," my infirmed body replies. "WE'RE GOING TO BED."

I've got some kind of lingering cold with a raspy cough and swollen glands, and am just getting over whiplash to boot. This is the second time in five years that I've gotten whiplash, incidentally--not from a car accident or a blow to the head, but from WALKING. On both occasions, I was walking at a normal pace and sprained my ankle, throwing my neck out of joint on the way down. (Yes, I do feel like a defective, thanks for asking.)

The weird part is that now I can't go more than a few hours without eating. Too long without food or liquid on my stomach and I'm both ravenous and nauseous. At first I thought it was the Vicodin, so I stopped taking the pills despite the "discomfort." Nope. Now all I can do is get up every couple of hours for a half-bowl of oatmeal or Total Raisin Bran. 'Cause it's got vitamins, don'tcha know.

maggiehoyal

Re: Semi-Writer Saying Hello

Postby maggiehoyal » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:49 pm

[quote="Maggie Hoyal"]"The madness was on her again, grinding at her and driving her from her home. Leaving her daughter was like hearing the sound of her own bones breaking each step farther that she walked."[/quote]
I a here to share air space with those of you out there that heard Harlans' words as a voice in the wilderness.

SemiWriter

Postby SemiWriter » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:46 am

'Tis me birthday.

You know you're old when...

Your favorite songs from high school are on the oldies station. Ouch.

cynic

Postby cynic » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:52 am

happy birthday,rjf,and many more.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:49 am

RJF wrote:'Tis me birthday.

You know you're old when...

Your favorite songs from high school are on the oldies station. Ouch.

Yeah. The next two stages comes when you use the phrase "I remember when..." and "Damned kids! When I was a boy..."

It'll come any week now.

(Of course, aging is better than the other option, so...)

Happy Birthday!

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:36 am

Have a good one!

You all know, and I know, that we don't feel that much different, all that much older. Nearly every fear we've had, nearly every insecurity and loss we ever felt, remains somewhere inside us.

But one of the things that startled me -- and this is already going back quite a few years -- was when I realized the kids I was interviewing for my college had not been born when I was in the position they were in.

That made me feel old.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Return to “Webderlanders”