Just an update

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

paul

Postby paul » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:22 am

David, I imagine your memoirs would make an interesting read.
At the very least, an informative travel guide and food and culture critique.
The medium is the message.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:29 pm

I don't think my life has been THAT interesting, but I could write it in a way that would be interesting . . . which is all that really matters with most books, anyway.

If you haven't been checking regularly, I just resurrected my tale of when I was a contestant on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" back in late 2001 (just so your expectations aren't instantly and unrealistically inflated, I did NOT make it into the hot seat), with a side trip to Ground Zero less than 7 weeks after 9/11, on my Web site:

http://www.david-loftus.com/Essays/million1.html

For more of the travel and food aspect, I'm hoping to get my essays about my rambles in Greece and West Africa back online before long.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:25 pm

David Loftus wrote:
paul wrote:As I portray in my semi-auto-biographical live poetry reading--

I announced in print 'way back in about 1985 that I intended to write an "unauthorized autobiography" someday. Unfortunately, somebody beat me to it (not about me -- about him).

It's either cause I didn't sleep well last night, had too much coffee this morning, or some heretofore unknown reading problem, but that last part makes little sense Mr Loftus.

Care to enlighten?

Thanks
Lori

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:04 pm

The original idea was a joke . . . an overturning of that fairly common trope, "an authorized biography," and the less common "unauthorized biography."

Somebody else thought of the joke, too, and actually gave his book that title.

I took a quick glance at Amazon, and found that several people used the joke on their book covers: Lemony Snicket and Tommy Chong. The phrase has also been used on a few CDs and a DVD.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

cynic

Postby cynic » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:46 pm

hey lori,

get hold of the application guy yet?

will ferrel's landlord confronts him
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/74

seen it already? i hope your landlord is less vicious.

mike

Lori Koonce

Another Check in!

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:30 pm

Earlier in this thread I mentioned a problem between me and a couple of friends, who just happen to be a couple.

Well needless to say, despite my best efforts the three of us are on the edge of not being friends. But I kinda expected that one.

What I didn't expect, and can't explain is this strange feeling that I ought to be feeling something more than proud that for the first time in my life, I took positive steps to take care of myself. I know that sounds hella strange, but I keep on thinking that some remorse or something is in order, and I just can't do it.

Yet another topic for me and my Shrink. that man is gonna own a small south pacific island, and have his children all Ivy Leauge educated by the time I'm done with him! *L*

Lori

cynic

Postby cynic » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:41 pm

lori,
in similar situations,the sense of loss and betrayal were tough on me.
support from family and friends will see you thru.

that'll be 5 cents please,LUCY

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:03 pm

cynic wrote:lori,
in similar situations,the sense of loss and betrayal were tough on me.
support from family and friends will see you thru.

that'll be 5 cents please,LUCY

Cynic

Just getting used to to things. Been doing some work, and am not quite comfortable with or knowledgable about how it's all going to come down. I'm sure I'll be fine.

BTW, finally got a chance to take a look at the clip you sent me. Man my landlordi is an ass, but Peral has him beat by several miles. Thanks for the laugh.

Lori

PS *handing him a 5 dollar bill* That should cover at least one of the beers you're gonna need by helping me out here!

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:03 am

Change is scary. That's why it is often so easy to continue with the status quo. Once we get comfortable with the new situation, the scariness goes away.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:55 am

Hi, Lori,
I've been out of the loop so I'm sorry for my late response. You know where I live in da hood, if you need to crash in a safe place for a night or two, just call me 415-983-0247.
((hugs))
Gwyn

P.S. this too shall pass. I'm sorry but I can't offer living arrangements longer than a couple of days. My landlords are trying to kick me out b/cause I'm in a rent controlled unit and paying about 1/2 market rate. They would use any excuse to boot me out. But having a friend stay for a couple of nights shouldn't be a problem.
Remember, ya got friends.... :-)

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:58 pm

Lori,

Just wanted to check in and see how things are progressing and if you are feeling any better. You know how to reach me if you need to talk

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:27 pm

Mark, she doesn't need chicken soup.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:57 am

Frank, in the immortal words of my grandmother, "Blow me"
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:45 pm

Hello one and all

Got an awesome piece of mail yesterday. Looks like I should be getting several thousand dollars from the SSA for back payments, which will go a long way to getting my ass outta my situation.

Now, if only I could get a hold of the dude who does the interviews for the building I want to get into. I'll have the cash to pay first last and a deposit, and buy some household goodies.

Lori

cynic

Postby cynic » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:10 pm

lori,
no app. dude yet?bummer.household necessities only,you owe me a beer.gonna finish that soup?i like soup.

Return to “Webderlanders”