Greetings from Scotland

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

Lori Koonce

Re: Greetings from Scotland

Postby Lori Koonce » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:44 pm

Why wouldn't it work Steve?

I mean if your bending over to hold on to you knee, how can you shoot?

:twisted:

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:15 pm

CONGRATS IAIN!!! :D Good job on the first trial!!! Is there anything you would have done differently or anything you learned about your practice/training routine that you'll modify in light of your results? (I'm a big believer in getting feedback from things.)

Barber wrote:(Just no kneecapping your opponents. It doesn't work in archery...)

Hey, it worked for figure skater Tonya Harding. Um, no, wait...it didn't work for her, did it?

But didn't she get the bronze? Or was it that other chick?
:twisted:
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:42 am

Technically, nobbling the oposition is frowned upon by the archery world. It seems the be "Not the done thing" or something.

If memory serves me right, the girl Tonya Harding got to won the bronze medal.

At least I came first in my class, Adult Compound Novice. Ok I was the only one IN that class but I did win :lol:

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:35 pm

Scored my personal best tonight. 511 out of 600. ANd that score is now being submitted for the postal league of GNAS the brittish archery society.

I am incredibly pleased with that result. I had thought it would take me forever to beat my previous best. Its taken 2 weeks. Now is the time it starts to get really tough, small improvements to get to 525 and above. Just have to keep trying.

At least tonight there was no pressure, it was not a competition. Just a normal club night.

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:07 pm

Santa failed to bring me a Hoyt Bow... Again!

Looks like I am goona have to get one the hard way. Selling internal organs on the black market <sigh>

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:00 pm

reddragon70 wrote:Santa failed to bring me a Hoyt Bow... Again!

Looks like I am goona have to get one the hard way. Selling internal organs on the black market <sigh>

Damme that Santa, can't follow orders even with a team of elves! Sink me, but I'll take a Wurlitzer for $1000. Haven't decided where I'll put the damn'd thing yet though. :P
Sir Percival Blakeney
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:46 pm

I think I would pass on the Wurlitzer. But I would not say no to a good pinball machine. Preferably The Addams Family (which I consider to be the ultimite pinball ever) or perhaps White Water (which I was Grand Champion in Edinburgh Waverly Station bothy, the staff canteen basically).

Plus the problem with a Wurlitzer in where the hell do you get old 45's from now? Or do you go down the route of converting to CD or MP3???

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:12 pm

reddragon70 wrote: [snips] where the hell do you get old 45's from now? Or do you go down the route of converting to CD or MP3???

amoeba records is a good place to start for the search.
http://www.amoeba.com/

Actually the "Wurlitzer" was in reference to your selling an internal "organ". Since I figured you wouldn't want any of your pipe organs lopped off by Santa's evil elves in trade for the hallowed Hoyt bow, I offered to buy one of your "Wurlitzers". I won't ask, you don't tell, and we'll all be better off that way. Trust me. :wink:

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:34 pm

I just spotted the absolutely perfect bow for me. Right draw length, draw weight, its a Hoyt which is fantastic and I cant afford to buy it. Cock.

The fact that its shown up at all on eBay is a good sign. It means there will be others and they may appear when I have the money to buy one. Every bow I have seen so far has been wrong in one way or another. Wrong weight, wrong draw, seriously wrong price, you name it. But this one. Its perfect appart from being about £400 more than I have spare just now. Oh well, I'll just have to wait. Patience, I am told, is a virtue, and all good things come to those who wait.

We shall see. :)

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Tue May 04, 2010 4:29 pm

Well, the penny has dropped. On the 23rd of June I am going to be 40. I am officially ageing disgracefully.

Only 8 weeks to go til I reach another milestone on the road of life. Oh well.

The funny thing is that I dont feel any different from when I was 21. Except that I am happier and settled into my life, a happy husband and father. I am still the old goth dude I have been since I was 15 years old and still read the same books I have always loved, in fact I have discovered some new ones too, that China Mievile guy's a bloody good writer and a lovely chap when I met him. So is it such a big deal?

The answer is that I simply dont know. I wont know until I get there I suppose.

One consolation I have is that I have got to talk to Unca Harlan in an oblique way on this website. Something I would never have got to do in real life, the one time I did have that chance he took ill, which I was most upset about (not about not seeing him, about the fact he could have died). Also with each year, that chance deminishes a little to the point that I have more chance of winning the lottery. But I cant grumble. I have become good friends with another of my favourite writers, Robert Rankin, and get to spend a lot of time with him talking toot and chewing the fat. Maybe in that there is some balance.

But in either case, I am worried. I am getting old in a job I hate that at least pays me well. The futureis.... well I suppose worrying. Its probably the same for everyone. So I can take solace in that. And be gratefull for what I do have. A lovely wife, a good family and a hobby that gives me pleasure even though I am terrible at it.

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:26 am

Well folk, the divorce is moving forward. Think we have reached a financial agreement for the proceeds of selling the house. Not a great one for me but acceptable if nothing else.
As for me? Suprisingly chipper. Feel good in a lot of ways. Been talking to rather splendid lady on phone and getting on very well. She's the same age as me. Similar situations. Similar tastes. And for reasons beyond my understanding she thinks I am the best thing since sliced bread. Not that I am complaining, she is delightfully pretty, and highly intelligent. But she lives in Fife, which is over 100 miles away.
Going to see her this weekend as it happens. Really looking forward to it. For the first time in a long time I feel happy.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:15 am

Really glad for you Iain

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:31 am

Well I only have to survive three more 10 hour shifts, two sleeps and a two hour drive on Saturday. Piece if cake.

Seriously though, I am really looking forward to this weekend rather than dreading it. Only one down side. Going to miss Doctor Who! Its being recorded though.

Feeling nervous but happy.

Return to “Webderlanders”