Greetings from Scotland

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

reddragon70

Re: Greetings from Scotland

Postby reddragon70 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:58 am

Frank mate, I just wish I could explain college funding here. Unfortunately its become a complete mess in recent years. What used to happen was tou would be given a grant depending on how much your parents earned (there was some other calculation for mature students) and that was allocated to you on a year to year basis. Your tuition fees and college fees were paid for by the government no matter how rich you are and that was it. If you were poor you got money, if you were very rich you got nothing, apart from your fees.

Now... For whatever reason the previous government (conservative) didnt like this. It meant poor people could blight university. So they decided that the American system of loans that you paid back was the way to go. The practical upshot of which is that now the average graduate from University here is saddled with a debt of about £25000 to about £30000 Not sure about US convesion... but say $45000 on average). Sometimes even more.

Not a greatly attractive prospect for someone who come from a poor background is it? Plus of course after 4 or 5 years a hard work at Uni, you go into the big bad world and try to find a job knowing that a large slice of sweat of your brow is going to go to pay back your student loan. Not good.

As for myself, because I am in full time employment, I have to pay for the whole education thing up front for myself. Thats about $2000 more or less per college year. Not a great deal of money but when you are keeping a home, two cars, two kids, two cats, one goldfish and a bit of an archery habit (Compound bows... you would not believe how much they cost!) and its not looking too good. Doable sure but it means a whole lot less fun in my life. And I work long enough for those bastards that emply me so I refuse to do even one miunte of overtime, and I have stuck by that ethos for 10 years now.

All in all, I just have to keep my head down, my nose clean and hopefully get the duck out of Fodge in the next 3 years.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:11 pm

Golly, I hadn't realized that things had gotten so bad for the British educational system! :( That really sucks. I think that there's more than a lick of classism there--unless you count the fact that Maggot Thatcher constantly made reference to her "up from common folk/working class" background.

Two thousand pounds a year is a lot of money.

Tell us more about the composite bows, that sounds like fun! :)
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:20 pm

Aaaaah the compound bow..... Yummy little beasts they are. The "Dark Side" theyre called amongst the recurve archers. I prefer them myself. Mostly because I am a tech fiend and lover off all things gadget. The main advantage of them is theyre very adaptable. You can adjust the draw weight by turning a couple of screws to attaching the limbs to the riser (thats the bit you hold onto). You can adjust the draw length by various means, though usually it involves either cam modules or new cams. Great stuff. Best of all though is they work in the exact opposite way to a recurve.

You see a recurve's weight is measured at a draw of 26". A 30 pound recurve drawn to more than that will give a higher poundage. Compounds dont. Theyre poundage is set and in fact once drawn over the cams the weight drops. My own Merlin Max 3000 is meant to have a drop off of about 70%. So as its set at 42 pounds it should drop down to a holding weight of 12.5 pounds. Also with a compound you dont actually pull the string (yeah I know that sounds odd.) You attach a release aid which hooks onto a D loop on the draw string. Aiming is done through a peep sight in the draw string and a fore sight.

Bows..... the nice ones

http://www.merlinarcherycentre.co.uk/ac ... d_Bow.html

Sights. Also nice ones...

http://www.merlinarcherycentre.co.uk/ac ... Sight.html

Release aids. Not got mine in stock cos its not on sale (yet)

http://www.merlinarcherycentre.co.uk/ac ... e_Aid.html

After that, well arrows, stablising rod, and a whole load of other gubbins.

I did it cheap and bought my bow and other things second hand. £500.

Its a fascinating hobby. Great fun and I am probably going to be in my first competition next month some time. Oh joy

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:42 pm

reddragon70 wrote: My own Merlin Max 3000 is meant to have a drop off of about 70%. So as its set at 42 pounds it should drop down to a holding weight of 12.5 pounds.

Does that mean that it takes 12.5 pounds of pull to draw the bow back? Sorry, I'm a bit dense when it comes to weaponry and technical stuff that shoots other stuff. [Insert cliche comment about females and phallic objects here. ;) ]
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:51 am

The draw weight will be 42 poundsfor most of the draw. Its only when you get close to the full draw (when your arm is pulled most of the way back) that the drop off occurs. It makes it very easy to hold, so in this way its appealing to archers who have had injuries with recurves. It also means that the acceleration you get is very uniform. Other bows have most of the acceleration from the maximum draw point and it decreases as the string goes back to its normal undrawn position. Weird huh?

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:12 pm

reddragon70 wrote:The draw weight will be 42 pounds for most of the draw. Its only when you get close to the full draw (when your arm is pulled most of the way back) that the drop off occurs. It makes it very easy to hold, so in this way its appealing to archers who have had injuries with recurves. It also means that the acceleration you get is very uniform. Other bows have most of the acceleration from the maximum draw point and it decreases as the string goes back to its normal undrawn position. Weird huh?

Actually, pretty damn skippy cool! :) Can you hunt with them in Scotland, or are they licensed for target use only?
STAR WARS (1977)

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:58 am

Its very odd but in Britain as a whole hunting with a bow is illegal. The reason being that its not a guaranteed kill, with the posibility of an injured animal running about. Hunting with guns is legal, but getting a gun license is so hard its hardly worth trying to get one. I did try one upon a time to get a license for a rifle, to allow me to do target shooting, which i had done many years ago as an RAF Cadet. The simple upshot of it was that it became rediculously hard, and most of the gun clubs had closed down anyway since the Dunblane incident.

So this is why I now do archery. I dont need any license to own a bow. I am covered for insurance purposes by my membership of the Grand National Archer Society. And best of all, bows are a lot cheaper than guns, though it may not seem that way if you look at the prices listed above.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:33 pm

Hi, Iain!

reddragon70 wrote:Its very odd but in Britain as a whole hunting with a bow is illegal.

I agree with the logic behind this--it takes a lot of skill to kill with one shot, I would imagine. However, given the legendary skill of British (ahem)...Welsh...archers with the longbow, and their military success, it's funny that archery isn't allowed for certain kinds of big game hunting if one could pass a proficiency test of some sort.

I mean, a rifle shot may or may not bring down an elk, and could leave one wounded and panicked just as much as a arrow. But yeah, a rifle does so much more damage that it's more likely to kill.

Are crossbows legal?

G
STAR WARS (1977)

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:40 am

As far as I know, hunting with a crossbow is also illegal. But the crossbow itself is perfectly legal to own.

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:24 pm

Looks like I have been coerced into a competitive archery shoot this sunday. And its a bloody FITA shoot too, which means really small targets. Theyre about the size of a saucer and shooting from 20 meters. This is going to be interesting.

I am currently giving good odds on myself getting the wooden spoon. Any takers???

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:04 pm

Pardon me -- but isn't the Wooden Spoon also referred to as "The Love Spoon"?

Oh wait.

That's Welsh.

Shoot away and win the bastard.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:04 am

Iain,
How did the archery shoot turn out? I haven't been checking the Pavvy lately, my blood pressure, ya' know :wink: , so if you posted there, I apologize for asking twice.
Regards,
Gwyneth
STAR WARS (1977)

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:55 pm

The dates all got shanged due to clashes with other competitions. So, the practical upshot is that its Sunday coming, 15th I am shooting. Had to go out and buy myself a pair of green trousers specially (national shooting colours have to be worn).

Will post how badly I do (well I am not gonna win thats for damned sure) on Sunday afternoon. I am probably not going to be at the top of my game because the shoot starts at 10 am and I finish work on sunday monring at 0009 hrs. So much for my party lifestyle ;)

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:50 am

SPORTS RESULTS JUST IN.....

Well I didn't win the archery shoot. I did quite well though, scoring 458/600. I am told that is an impressive score for a first time competition. And apparantly its an excellent score for a first time in a FITA shoot. So i am now incredibly proud, pleased and elated.

Unfortunatle in my group was the Scottish under 18's champion and the Scottish ladies champion. They managed to make me look bloody awful. I did enjoy the day tremendously though. Next time, its going to be over 500/600 (yeah and pigs will fly)

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:19 am

Great showing Iain -- and yeah, you can best 500 next time. (Just no kneecapping your opponents. It doesn't work in archery...)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Return to “Webderlanders”