Peg

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

Peggy

Don't worry... or how I learned to like Ike

Postby Peggy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:01 pm

For those curious, my Ike plans, after the dreadful Rita evacuation experience, is that unless this thing goes wacky and dead-ons for Houston as a Cat 5 I'm staying put. I live on the bottom floor - elevated ~10-15 ft above the street - in an enormous brick building with a big brick wall around my patio; one friend said it practically Fort Knox. :P I'm 50 miles inland, and these things weaken steadily as they move onshore. Although we'll start to get the outer fringes as early as noon tomorrow, peak winds won't hit me for up to 6 hours after landfall (midnight to wee hours tomorrow evening) and it will weaken all that time. Biggest risk here is power outage due to all the oak trees.

My bathtub gets filled with water tomorrow AM. I have more food than I could eat in a month between dry, canned, and a packed full freezer. I've lots of wine, including the chilled bubbly, which is de rigeur for disasters. 8) I have at least 2 interior room with closing/locking doors if wind gets through broken windows. I have flashlight; battery powered cell phone charger; lots of batteries; and candles too. I have charcoal for the fireplace should I need to cook without power. The car gets moved in the AM the underground garage (where there's u-boat potential) to street level since we're above the storm surge flood plain.

Worst case? Perhaps some broken windows or minor flooding via the patio (if it can't drain out the sides enough), maybe some interior mess, and one terribly traumatized large (17lbs) lump-o-kitty. He already hides in the closet or under the bed during thunderstorms; I suspect I'll have to drag him back out with the jaws of life.

If my power is going to be out long term, I'll probably head with Buster to stay with one of my friends outside of downtown (like nearby Katy, Woodlands, etc.). It's doubtful power would be out entirely across the 50 square mile spread that is the wider Houston metropolis.
"And if you're like me, you need hope, coffee and melody..." - Robbie Seay Band, "New Day"

David Loftus

Re: Don't worry... or how I learned to like Ike

Postby David Loftus » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:19 pm

Peggy wrote:I've lots of wine, including the chilled bubbly, which is de rigeur for disasters.

SAY no MORE!

The chick is more than prepared.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Douglas Harrison

Re: Don't worry... or how I learned to like Ike

Postby Douglas Harrison » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:43 pm

David Loftus wrote:
Peggy wrote:I've lots of wine, including the chilled bubbly, which is de rigeur for disasters.

SAY no MORE!

The chick is more than prepared.

The bubbly makes her nigh invulnerable. Still, my fingers are crossed for you, Peggy.

D.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:35 am

I never had any doubt that our darling Peggy would be prepared, I just hope she (and Paul and anyone else in the area) stays safe and posts something later today to let us all know how she is doing

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:44 am

Ike is one big scary storm. Hoping Bush won't fuck up this time.

You know our Peggy, she will probably be throwing sand bags.

Peggy

Postby Peggy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:24 am

LOL... I couldn't lift a sandbag. Plus the only flooding I might have to consider is my patio, and the underground garage (sandbags won't help there!).

Appreciate all the votes of confidence. There won't be any action here till this afternoon or later when we see more of the front edge of the storm. All we've had so far is edge of the cloud swirl. In fact, it's a gorgeous day right now, a true calm before the storm.

FYI - Once things pick up, I've promised family and friends I will send out periodic updates - email, or text message if the power goes out. If you are a worry wort and want to get these, email me your cell number (you can email me from my member profile).

I will, of course, check in here once the worst is past. Or if I don't have power, I'll ping someone and have them post.
"And if you're like me, you need hope, coffee and melody..." - Robbie Seay Band, "New Day"

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:36 am

Peg, you have my cell number, f you have no power and need me to post something I will be happy to do so
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:48 pm

Get that cat some tranquilizers. Poor thing.

paul

Postby paul » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:37 am

I thought i saw Peg on the CNN feeds.

She was floating down Congress Ave. clad in a Hawaiian-print muu-muu on a Barcalounger with a jeroboam of Segura Viudas in one hand and a copy of The Ravenous Muse in the other.

She is one classy lady.

:wink:
The medium is the message.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:18 pm

From Peg, via text.

Around 7:20 last night, PST:
"Ike note 5: Back to basics. We close without power but house and patio sorted. Relatively cool day a blessing. Evening swim in complex pool for a bath.

Candles lit. Dinner is whatever's still edible in the fridge.

Stoically yours, Peggy."

Around noon today PST:

"Ike Note 6: Rain, rain, go away. Restless night, ht & humid, then torrential rains. Cooler at least. Still no power. Walked a bit, downed trees, no power. Took 30 minutes to light charcoal, world's worst boy scout. But have coffee! :)

Fridge to be emptied today. Freezer not far behind. May try to cook over my fire. lol.

Buster is fine too.

Scruffily yours, Peggy"
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:56 am

From Peg, last night at 7:20 PST -

"Ike Note 7: Perspective.

We're to praise God in all circumstances. Tonight I'm thankful to God for:
Family and friends who love me. A friend there all hours who helps me stay in touch. A friend with power, freezer space, a shower, and a bed if I need. Clean water. Plentiful food. A cool evening. Fire. Phone. Batteries.

And, of course, Buster to keep me company. :)

Gratefully yours, Peggy"

(Mod's note, I suspect the friend helping her "stay in touch" is probably our friend Mark. Not me. I'm simply a scribe.)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:07 pm

Call yourself whatever you want Barber, you're doing a great service to those who aren't good friends of Peg's but are concerned for her none the less!

THANKS!

Lori
Life, love and all the chocolate you can eat

Lori

purplelynn35@gmail.com

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:49 pm

Steve,

Thanks for posting these messages. Peggy's texts to me were broken up into several messages and they arrived out of order and with a bit of a delay between texts. Thus, the reassuring tone of them was not present, and I called her because it sounded like she was really struggling due to the incomplete message.

I also wanted to say thanks to Doug Lane, who Peggy told me has been a tremendous help to her over the past couple of days. You done a mitzvah, good sir

Mark

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:25 pm

Just got this note from Peggy:

Ike Note 8
Reasons to like Ike: lean diet=bonus weight loss : ) Fridge cleaning I've put off is done. Junk mail finally has a use - fires lol. With conference and vacation, only worked 3 days in nearly 4 weeks. :-p Now have good reason for gourmet shopping spree:-) Status, no power, mild day, may look for ice

Pleasantly yours,

Peggy

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:26 pm

Repeat after me: Power ON ... Power ON ... Power ON ...

I hope she gets her AC back soon.

D.

Return to “Webderlanders”