Peg

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

Peggy

2nd coda, around again

Postby Peggy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:44 pm

Ok, ok, suitably prodded into making an appearance. I popped on both boards early in the summer intending to get back in the habit, but I admit other electronic fora (namely twitter & facebook) have taken more of my time at late. The former has actually been used more in keeping up with local friends, which is a nice addition for me. Outside electronica, my time has been taken up with work (which has gotten busy again), travel (wonder why :wink: ), local folks & such.

Post Puerto Rico, Doug & I did a West Coast trip (family, brief LA stop in which there was a Barber sighting, Ashland OR, and Portland OR in which there was a Lotus/Barkley siting); then Long Island, NY in July; DC in August; Chicago in Sept. I'm off to DC this weekend, then home for a stint when Doug heads down for my b-day. So, yeah, a lot of travel time! But he's worth it. :D

I'm doing pretty well personally, except for the bum arm. Those of you on facebook know what was thought to be a bit of a rotator cuff impingement is, in fact, frozen shoulder. From this point I have about 1-2 years of recovery with PT. Joy. It's limiting but not debilitating so just a matter of hanging in there.

If you want to keep up with me routinely, follow me on twitter (JavaPeg) or facebook. But unless you hear dire tidings, rest assured I'm ok. And Doug gives me the important news from the boards.

And to close, I suggest... chocolate covered nutterbutters! Mmmmmmm 8)
"And if you're like me, you need hope, coffee and melody..." - Robbie Seay Band, "New Day"

FinderDoug

Re: Peg

Postby FinderDoug » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:34 am

And Doug gives me the important news from the boards.

Which means that big fancy Masters degree is already paying off!

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:14 am

Peg - Cris is starting to Tweet. I may send her your way for suggestions as to how it works. Yeah, telecom guru here has no idea how to tweet. Gedoverit.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Peggy

Postby Peggy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:11 am

Steve - happy to give her my perspective. Personally I use it in 2 ways - the primary usage is actually keeping up with my local (mostly "chowhound") friends. Sorta like a running conversation like a chat board but less continuous. Spontaneous meetups, plans, updates, but also encouragement & comaraderie. (I'm sure I spelled that incorrectly).

The second usage is following a number of sources for news & interests - local paper, time magazine, science feeds, political feeds, chefs/restaurants, etc.

It's a highly malleable tool so it can work differently as folks' needs/desires dictate. I find most folks appreciate having an app rather than using the web version (sadly, at work *and* on my phone I'm web/mobileweb-based only) as they have more functionality and can help organize your feed if you follow a lot of folks.

And it can be very addictive. :twisted:
"And if you're like me, you need hope, coffee and melody..." - Robbie Seay Band, "New Day"

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:03 pm

Glad to see you've checked in here, Peggy. Your presence gives the board a significant boost in both credibility and foodie-ness.

D.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:12 pm

Speaking of which -- any pointers from you people on Vancouver??? Peg, Douglas?
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:26 pm

Steve, I'll be in downtown Vancouver in the next few days. What kind of info would you like me to report back with?

D.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:41 pm

We're there for four days in a little less than a month. Restaurants, cools streets, coffee houses, etc. We've seen the lit on the touristy stuff -- where is the good stuff?

Peggy

Postby Peggy » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:32 pm

Some memorable eats at:
Salt Tasting Room was great for wine & nibbles, good place to hit.
There was a great little japanese isakaya/sushi place not far from our hotel (Georgian court) on what appeared to be a pedestrian block. Think it's Bistro Sakana based on google maps. Enjoyed the food and the sake tasting.
Elbow Room cafe - known for the abuse but the food was delish!
Boneta - think we ate here, was good but not quite as good as I anticipated based on the F&W review. (unrealistic expectation syndrome rather than poorly executed).

I know there was more but will have to go back and research a bit.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:16 am

I must have been infected when we ate at Le Pigeon. I actually took photos of some of my appetizers, entrees, and desserts aboard the QM2.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:57 am

David Loftus wrote:I must have been infected when we ate at Le Pigeon. I actually took photos of some of my appetizers, entrees, and desserts aboard the QM2.

As Peg will attest, there's no hope for you now.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:02 am

Peg -

I'm thoroughly intrigued by the Elbow Room Cafe. That may be a "must". (Years ago, BC == before Cris -- a friend and I were in New Orleans and decided to eat at a place called "Anything Goes". Each table had its own theme, suggesting treatment you were to get from the wait staff and other patrons. We sat at the "Public Humiliation" table and were treated to an evening-long cascade of comments, suggestions and introductins to other patrons who were told we should be insulted at every possible opportunity. It was quite fun.)

I'm taking notes.

paul

Postby paul » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:08 pm

How's the frozen shoulder?
Sounds like something you give, not get.
The medium is the message.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:05 pm

That sounds great. Somebody ought to do a coffee-table photo-and-essay book about theme-based service establishments.

An old girlfriend told me about a theme-based motel down in California -- caveman, medieval, etc. -- and we have the marvelous writer-themed hotel up here in Newport, Oregon -- the Sylvia Beach Hotel. (I've stayed in the Gertrude Stein, Colette, Agatha Christie, and Edgar Allan Poe rooms.)
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Peggy

Postby Peggy » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:54 am

Paul,

Sweet of you to ask! Eh. It is. I'm doing the (new) PT, and there's a glimmer of improvement after 2+ weeks. Traditionally it's a longer & quasi-painful recovery. Best case - a few months of PT, worst case 1 yr or more. Brian Siano had it too, mentioned on my fb account he was about 2 years total recovery.

You have to push your range of motion with the therapy, so by default you get pain at the end of range. There's quite a bit I can do at home, but unfortunately a few of the really useful motions are not self-mobilizations, hence visits to the therapist. I'm lucky I have decent insurance and means to afford the co-pay. I feel lucky, mine doesn't seem as painful and debilitating as some I've read about on the web. So, I'll keep at it. If there's anything noteworthy I'll ping. ;-)

Peg

Return to “Webderlanders”